Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you go out to celebrate when you got your Leaving Cert results?

• 13-08-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭

Got mine 22 years ago, it being in the days before the internet I remember going to the school, being happy that I passed and and drinking a few pints in the pub that night with a few classmates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I did well and cleared what I needed by a bit, but I was disappointed with one grade and foolishly made it ruin the entire day. Got a Chinese takeaway and listened to Trompe le Monde on repeat instead of going out with my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Yes, but I didn't get plastered and act like a complete asshat like most of them will tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Went out at 12 o'clock that day and came home at 1 next day. Was completely plastered and don't regret a moment of it. Had great night. Didn't act the boll0x but I was fairly hammered and after pubs and clubs ended in my mates house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

William Tell Tavern (now the Hairy Lemon I believe)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Went for pints all day then a house party

Hard to believe its 11 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Nope. I played a round of golf with my mother and then went to Pasta Fresca for dinner with both parents. Was only 17 so wasn't even allowed a glass of wine.

I'm hardcore, so I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Went out for a few cans with the lads but I went home early because I wasn't a big drinker then. Not like now.

Not like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

15 years ago. Where did it go. Went in to school, was given the results by the principal. Was happy enough. Had a great night with lads from school, lost my voice. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was away when they came out so didn't get to.

Went out for a few cans with the lads but I went home early because I wasn't a big drinker then. Not like now.

Not like this.

Bet you got loads of points and went home early to celebrate, away from your loser friends at the time- that's where you got the name "smug bastard":P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

I did. Drank soda water and lime all night in the Belvedere in Cork and held all my buddies hair back while they vomited up shots like the good friend I am.... :-D

Mariasofia wrote: »
    I did. Drank soda water and lime all night in the Belvedere in Cork and held all my buddies hair back while they vomited up shots like the good friend I am.... :-D

Who held your hair up?:P

Nope. Was still 17 (and looked about 15) so knew I wouldn't have a hope of getting in anywhere. Also I wasn't the "go out and get pissed" type, took a few more years before I turned into that.

I hung out with a few guys in my year during the day but ended up going to bed about 7 pm that evening as I was completely knackered. Hardcore! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I was only 17, and all the pubs had bouncers checking ID, so it was cans of Fosters in the 'Sunshine Bar' (railway tracks) for me.

I did finger-bang some young wan who got her results that day too, and when me & my pal were drunk and walking home, I remember putting my fingers up to his nose and saying "smell that? That's the smell of success."

Always destined for the top, I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Who held your hair up?:P

Had a classy french plait that night....didnt need anyone..... :-D

Mariasofia wrote: »
    Had a classy french plait that night....didnt need anyone..... :-D

Ah yes, Cuisine de France, nothing like it for breakfast after a long night out on the lime juice:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Results picked up at 10, was in the pub by 10.30 for a few with my old man and my mates, first time I ever drank in a pub with my dad. Didn't come home till the next day. Great night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I did my leaving 22 years ago and I wasn't allowed into town with all my friends. My parents were really pissed off at my results.I don't even remember putting up much of a struggle and I don't think I did anything to celebrate.

How times have changed. My son got his results today. He's gone to a BBQ with friends then off into town, probably til tomorrow. On Sunday he's heading off with 40 others to Crete (I keep thinking Inbetweeners) for a weeks holiday paid by my mother!

Fiolina wrote: »
    I did my leaving 22 years ago and I wasn't allowed into town with all my friends. My parents were really pissed off at my results.I don't even remember putting up much of a struggle and I don't think I did anything to celebrate.

How times have changed. My son got his results today. He's gone to a BBQ with friends then off into town, probably til tomorrow. On Sunday he's heading off with 40 others to Crete (I keep thinking Inbetweeners) for a weeks holiday paid by my mother!

Well, well done for the intervening years and a belated well done on the LC too!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I actually can't remember. I remember there were about six people sleeping in my room on the morning when my mother came in to wake me to go get the results so maybe I did the celebrating the night before...I can't remember what points I got either actually. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Got mine in 1962. I don't remember any celebration other than my mother baking a cake for after our tea and then going to work the next morning as usual.

Got mine in 1962. I don't remember any celebration other than my mother baking a cake for after our tea and then going to work the next morning as usual.

Aww that's nice. The days of innocence:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It was 23 years ago so I don't really remember what I did the night the results came out. What I do remember was the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach waiting to get the results, the nerves:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fiolina wrote: »
    Aww that's nice. The days of innocence:)

Innocence my eye! I think we were more street wise and tuned into the world than many nowadays. Simpler times due to affordability perhaps but not innocent. When many guys were working from the age of 13 we soon lost our innocence. I was lucky to have had a scholarship to stay at school until the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Nope,nothing to celebrate.Went to Ireland vs Holland friendly at Lansdowne though as had free tickets.Ireland lost 4-0 IIRC.

Got a job in a warehouse the next day,and life has been mundanely ****e ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nope. Don't drink and guys in my class were assh0les, so had no interest in spending any extra time around them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I went to 'Rocky 2' in the Green cinema with some friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Innocence my eye! I think we were more street wise and tuned into the world than many nowadays. Simpler times due to affordability perhaps but not innocent. When many guys were working from the age of 13 we soon lost our innocence.

Back in my day, instead of a holiday after the exams we got a punch in the face. And we were lucky to get it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I seem to remember being in the Temple Theatre (god I'm old...), there being broken up bits of yokes being thrown into shots of Aftershock, and waking up on someone's sitting room floor soaking wet and wearing a pair of girls jeans that were far too small for me with a friend of mine rocking me with his foot. Just looked at me when I opened my eyes and said "I love you man but you're a fvcking liability" shook his head a few time and walked out of the room.

I assume a good night was enjoyed by all.

• Advertisement

I was in Spain on holidays when I got them so was on the beer most of the week prior to getting them, got them over the phone (hungover) and drank champagne for the cure that morning, then out on the beer early enough and drank the head off myself until I fell back to the apartment at about 6am :D

Was some craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Macavity. wrote: »
    Back in my day, instead of a holiday after the exams we got a punch in the face. And we were lucky to get it too!

Youth is truly squandered on you.

Innocence my eye! I think we were more street wise and tuned into the world than many nowadays. Simpler times due to affordability perhaps but not innocent. When many guys were working from the age of 13 we soon lost our innocence. I was lucky to have had a scholarship to stay at school until the leaving cert.

Yeah, you're right actually. When I did my leaving, I'd been working part time since I was 13 (prob why I failed exams) but I'd been there, done that etc so it was no big deal going out for the exams whereas for most of my friends it was a really big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Rang all my friends to see how they got on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

I was in work that very evening, so no. All my mates did though, and my boss even asked me if I wanted the night off but I declined. On the plus side, my parents did contribute a bit to my car insurance because I did well. 5 years ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I got my results in 1987. I did well and I got what I wanted, my parents weren't that happy with my results. I think my father wanted my Leaving Cert results to be amazing. My results were very good, but in my father's eyes unless you got 8 A's, you weren't that good.

I wasn't allowed out to celebrate as my parents were at a family wedding the day the results came out as I had to look after my younger sisters. Even if there was no wedding I don't think I would have been allowed out to celebrate. That was a bit crazy because in less than a month I was at university and could celebrate any thing in a pub......and we did. I wasn't really a drinker .

Did we even celebrate the LC results back then?

Anyways my son will sit he LC in two years time. I'll never put him under the pressure I was put under. I will support him in any career choice he makes. He's more clued in than I was at his age.

At the end of the day life is short and you should choose a career that makes you happy. Life is no dress rehearsal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Yes, but I didn't get plastered and act like a complete asshat like most of them will tonight.

I did was mighty, got the shift and a sneaky boob grab.

If only my life achievements were as simple now as getting to touch a breast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Rang all my friends to see how they got on!

One of them cnuts are we?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

Oh yes indeed!

I bought new clothes, lashed half a tub of gel into the hair, a cloud of Lynx Africa.

Headed into town with all my mates.

Got told to piss off home at the door of the nightclub. I didn't turn eighteen until midnight.

The bastards.

Aineoil wrote: »

Did we even celebrate the LC results back then?

Do we even celebrate results now? My cousin got her results today, she got 390 points, but her friend failed (miserably, I'm told). I'm not sure what she got, but she didn't care very much, and she is still accompanying my cousin and her friends out to celebrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Yep, about 10 of us went to LONGFORD :D . I wasn't gonna go originally but my mam was gone so nuts at home about my results (they weren't bad, no clue what she expected) that I figured I should get away. On the way into the club (Longford had one back then, maybe even two; this was before the banks and all that, like), me and the guy I got along best with over my five years in the school decided instead to go get some things in the off license and have a big long conversation instead, was great.
    I remember there was something weird about the whole night that made it really obvious we'd never speak to each other again though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Went out, got drunk singing "ain't nothing gonna break my stride" and got a certificate of whiskey appreciation or something lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

no i went pickin stones

I remember there was something weird about the whole night that made it really obvious we'd never speak to each other again though.

I stayed in contact with a few friends after 6th year but eventually they all went off to do bigger and better things and I only know one now, whom I haven't seen in about a year. The thought never crossed my mind when we were in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

We drank a many a lemonade and engaged in a four hour long orgy in a barn with some quadriplegic goats whilst wearing occult-like masks and chanting vaudeville era songs, that's how we do things down the country.

Macavity. wrote: »

We would have been happy to get the exams in the first place, no less a good decent punch in the face:(

OK, we'll leave it there:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

I drowned my sorrows! I Did bad and ended up in Athlone.....I remember looking up the CAO points on teletext.. Aghh the good old days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

sblythe wrote: »
    I stayed in contact with a few friends after 6th year but eventually they all went off to do bigger and better things and I only know one now, whom I haven't seen in about a year. The thought never crossed my mind when we were in school.
    Ah sure it was probably 17 year old me endlessly ranting about how I'm done with all the c*nts in Longford that gave it that vibe, really. ;)

sblythe wrote: »

Strange how different things turn out for different people. I'd be the opposite to you, my main group of friends are the same ones I started 1st year in school with 16 years ago. We all went to university locally with some of us even doing the same course so the group never got broken up.

On the other hand as we were all around we didn't really mix much with others in university so I don't keep in contact with people from undergrad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Got mine 27 years ago. I was in boarding school had to ring the school took about an hour to get through. Went out that night with some of my friends from home. Was happy enough with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

We drank a many a lemonade and engaged in a four hour long orgy in a barn with some quadriplegic goats whilst wearing occult-like masks and chanting vaudeville era songs, that's how we do things down the country.

Maybe in your part of the country. :D:confused:

Are you from Cork?:eek: You guys do things differently!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement