Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Chocolate Digestive Biscuits

Options
  • 13-08-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

IIRC I've seen quite a few comments on these over the months in various threads.

Last I read they had gone off the shelves and no one could find out when they'd be back.

Then there was the talk that once Aldi stuff goes from stock it comes back but not as it was the first time !

I never tried the "first" digestives so have nothing to compare them to.

Anyhow, these guys are on the shelves in Aldi @ 0.49 cent per 300gms, a steal, they have them in Dark Chocolate too, and they are nom nom nom !

1932647_1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I used to be addicted to the dark chocolate ones before they disappeared.

IMO the cheaper ones are not as nice as the old ones used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oh so they are infact different? How so?

The digestive part just isn't as moreish as it used to be.

It tastes cheaper, it's not as lovely and crumbly as it used to be, the texture has changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Why the hell does aldi do this to products.
    I was in there today and they now have a everyday range of products in white packets, so fecking tacky, getting nearly as bad as tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Why the hell does aldi do this to products.
    I was in there today and they now have a everyday range of products in white packets, so fecking tacky, getting nearly as bad as tesco.

To increase profit obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

keano25 wrote: »
    To increase profit obviously.

By what way?

By what way?

Cheaper packaging = cheaper cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Fair enough, why do manufactures spend so much on getting their product looking good if a bland looking product seems to be the winner?

Fair enough, why do manufactures spend so much on getting their product looking good if a bland looking product seems to be the winner?

Think about it, if you have a biscuit that tastes nice and costs less are you gonna buy the fancy packet that costs more just because of the fancy wrapper. Cost is the winner now. The likes of aldi and lidl are making a fortune in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would say the cost of ink is minute.

My theory has always been that they purposely make it nasty looking to put people off buying it, to steer them towards the more expensive one. So in that way they make more profit.

I remember my mother talking about how disgusting the tesco value packaging was. I think some people might also not want to appear to be a cheapskate or whatever term you want to use. So some might be embarrassed to be seen with a trolley full of what is 100% obviously the cheap products.

I reckon more effort went into making sure tescos was hideous than time spent making sure the finest range looked nice. Its a running joke, even has its own meme going.
    the can image is real, I cannot imagine people handing these out at a BBQ
    tesco2bvalue2blager.jpg
    $_35.JPG
    for_B3ta_tesco_value_valentine_card.jpg
    tesco-value-carrots.jpg

• Advertisement

Unfortunately that's not the case with the product specified in the OP. If it had been then I wouldn't have been delighted to see them back, thinking that they were the same.

The packaging is the same in this case, it's the product that is inferior to what it was IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Re value packaging, I think the theory is called perfect pricing but I can't find a link.

You use the cost of the value item to apportion some sales to the next item up.

Like in Argos the €10 2 man tent that wouldn't be as good as an umbrella to sleep under, increases the sales of the €22.50 tent.

Really the value should be €12 and the next one €12.50, but using the perfect pricing, the profit is made on the €22.5m tent.

ie , Aldi normal range is about to increase in price!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

rubadub wrote: »
    for_B3ta_tesco_value_valentine_card.jpg

Would you believe I was lucky enough to received that card one year :rolleyes:

Anyways...

Personally I much prefer the chocolate digestives in Lidl. (I only go for the dark chocolate ones!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

woodchuck wrote: »
    Personally I much prefer the chocolate digestives in Lidl. (I only go for the dark chocolate ones!)
    Me too :) Mind you, Aldi have the better Hobnob clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

last time i ate these digestives thought they delicious

a crunchie taste and bend them in half and they don't break fully

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

woodchuck wrote: »
    I had both milk & dark, the dark ones are good alright, a few other people ate them and were all impressed. Then they were shocked that they were only 65cent for 400g

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Even nicer in my opinion are the 'fake' dark chocolate Schoko Leibniz biscuits, "Sondey Dark Chocolate Butter Biscuits" they're called.

Advertisement