Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway water taste

Options
  • 13-08-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Does anyone notice that the Galway tap water tastes strange at the moment. It tastes quite acidic and strange even after going through a filter container. I live in Salthill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I thought that you folk were on a water-boil notice ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP this is much more suited to the regional forum.

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

Same here. Have a ceramic filter, it's usually very good but the water tastes rotten at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

+1

It also smells weird when you boil it. We use a Brita filter.
    i find this has been the case since they had loads of water outages in Newcastle. We are in Knocknacarra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

We're in Lower Salthill and we don't use a filter, straight from the tap, and I haven't tasted anything different to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Tastes awful lately i have to agree. Have no filter but straight from tap and making tea has tasted a little weird, with it being worse the last week.. Will email council crew now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I've been buying bottled drinking water since the crypto outbreak, the water contains so much chlorine now that you can smell the whiff of it just by opening the tap.. It's horrible.

I'm surprised most restaurants in Galway serve it as table water :eek:. It's not suitable for consumption IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Ahh, so its not just me then...have noticed the tap water has tasted a bit odd of late, even with a filter (Roscam area)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ya I noticed yesterday too, drink it straight from the tab without a filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hmmm I've been noticing this too, tea has even been tasting odd and chemically. I thought it was just me as no one else in the house claims to notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I've been buying bottled drinking water since the crypto outbreak, the water contains so much chlorine now that you can smell the whiff of it just by opening the tap.. It's horrible.

I'm surprised most restaurants in Galway serve it as table water :eek:. It's not suitable for consumption IMO.

Even here in swords co. Dublin the water from the tap smells very heavy of chlorine. We used to have very good water, but it's not good at all nowadays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I filled out a form on water.ie and was auto mailed a response saying someone would be back to me in 24 hours. I feckin hope so, have ordered water for drinking too. Still manky, kinda musty smelling and tasting today.

They replied saying they have no idea where i live and to name estates beside me plus my front door colour!.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They replied saying they have no idea where i live and to name estates beside me plus my front door colour!.

Cool - so that implies that you're going to get a visit and and I'd guess a water test.

Excellent.

Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

Do you have to pay for the visit?

They have not mentioned a visit on their reply. I have yet to hear back from them, I guess they are just initially trying to locate me.. I mentioned this thread too. Maybe they'll be more active because of that..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

We just moved to Galway city from Kerry on Monday, and I came on to ask if the water is safe to drink. We all feel a bit odd (Dog included) after 5 days of drinking the water. Not ill or anything, just a bit of tummy pain. Water in Kerry was great to drink so maybe we're just getting used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

PLL wrote: »
    We just moved to Galway city from Kerry on Monday, and I came on to ask if the water is safe to drink. We all feel a bit odd (Dog included) after 5 days of drinking the water. Not ill or anything, just a bit of tummy pain. Water in Kerry was great to drink so maybe we're just getting used to it.

It's supposed to be the safest drinking water in Ireland in terms of mircrobial content since we got the upgrade to the water treatment plant. However they tend to be rather heavy handed with the chlorine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

It's supposed to be the safest drinking water in Ireland in terms of mircrobial content since we got the upgrade to the water treatment plant. However they tend to be rather heavy handed with the chlorine here.

I agree on the chlorine. Lived in Galway for 20 years and thought the water was fine but when you move away for a few years you can taste and smell the difference when I visit. Every time I visit Galway and drink the water, I get stomach cramps. Tastes awful when making tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

PLL wrote: »
    We all feel a bit odd (Dog included) after 5 days of drinking the water. Not ill or anything, just a bit of tummy pain.

This.

Philosophically I hate the whole bottled water thing.

But I drink a lot of water. And I've felt a lot better overall since moving to bottled water a few years back.

Like you, I wasn't ill from the tap water. Just kinda felt off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

This.

Philosophically I hate the whole bottled water thing.

But I drink a lot of water. And I've felt a lot better overall since moving to bottled water a few years back.

Like you, I wasn't ill from the tap water. Just kinda felt off.

Hocus pocus....evian spelt backwards and all that. Drink loads of water and I mean loads..3 - 4.5 litres a day and it makes no difference whether its bottled or from the tap.

This is a reply from late yesterday, i was afk at the time;

Thank you for your query regarding water quality.

I have passed your query to the water services department in your area. Your Irish Water reference number is ****** which you may retain for your records. Could you please provide your telephone number.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Service Advisor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hocus pocus....evian spelt backwards and all that. Drink loads of water and I mean loads..3 - 4.5 litres a day and it makes no difference whether its bottled or from the tap.

Unless the water tastes like sh*t and puts you off drinking it because of the smell and taste.
    The body rejects things for a reason sometimes.

Running the tap in the morning gets rid of a the chlorine smell a little.

Got a reply ten minutes ago, impressed by them working on a Saturday

"Thank you for your email regarding water quality.

I have updated your information and someone will be in contact with you as soon as possible in relation to this matter.

Thank you for your continued patience."

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Not sure how to explain this, but I've noticed for that past few days the water coming from my cold water tap (straight from the street pipe) is quite warm. It's not that hot outside, so not sure what's up.

Anyone else experience this? I'm in Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cenahs

Far as I remember the final treatment stage is UV treatment = very high level of treatment and extremely safe leaving the plant.

Also +1 for the strange water taste in Newcastle, not just the residual chlorine taste.

I hope you all contacted the irish water crowd too so.. If I'm the only one I doubt they'll be taking me as any high priority..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I hope you all contacted the irish water crowd too so.. If I'm the only one I doubt they'll be taking me as any high priority..

I've reported it as well - there is definitely a horrible rank taste and smell since the recent issues with the mains on Thomas Hynes road

Lumi wrote: »
    I've reported it as well - there is definitely a horrible rank taste and smell since the recent issues with the mains on Thomas Hynes road

Funny enough that's exactly what i wondered about, if that series of bursts had somehow done something. Thanks for reporting it too, reporting alone is slightly pointless. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 cenahs

Also reported it. They said they will look into it immediately.

Advertisement