Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispute in work

Options
  • 13-08-2014 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hello, just wondering if anyone knows where I stand with this.

There's a dispute in work and everyone asked to stick together and SIGN A FORM showing our disagreement with proposed cut backs.
    I agree with everyone and want to sign but am still in my probation period.
    If I sign and stand by my colleagues am I at risk? Can I be let go when my probation period ends in 3 months just for sticking with all the other staff or should I just go, "Hey look I'm new, leave me out of this!" ??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Can I be let go when my probation period ends in 3 months just for sticking with all the other staff
    !

Yes you can be let go during your probationary period but your union might have something to say about it. It's unfair of your co workers to involve you in this considering you are on probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I certainly wouldn't sign anything on probation. Your colleagues will understand, or should understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I certainly wouldn't sign anything on probation. Your colleagues will understand, or should understand.
    That really depends on the workplace and potentially trade unions involved.

OP: If I were you I'd carefully and privately sound out the situation with some colleagues. While keeping the boss onside might sound like a great idea some workplaces would get really sour quite fast if you're perceived as taking management's side. It might sound extreme but there's plenty of working environments like that in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Surely there is a group spokesperson, approach them in private and tell them your concerns, they should understand your position.
    If you support their cause, tell them they can rely on you in the future when your job is safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Thanks everyone. Decided not to sign and explained my reasons. Haven't had any negativity yet but there has been no outcome to the dispute yet so we'll see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks everyone. Decided not to sign and explained my reasons. Haven't had any negativity yet but there has been no outcome to the dispute yet so we'll see...

I think you did correct thing , and of these other people are negative against you then there a bunch of ass holes , hope everything goes well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Years ago I was in a similar boat and in fairness to the union they told anyone on probation to agree to it. The union won in the end anyway and my hourly rate was almost double 6 months in the job!!

Those were the days!

Advertisement