Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Barefoot.

Options
  • 13-08-2014 9:19pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone else as tried this?My small fat cob grows hoof like there is no tomorrow. As he gets longer ,he stumbles. Instructor suggested as the cob does no road work and max 20 mins 4/ times a week on grass or sand/rubber arena to see how he goes barefoot.

We removed the shoes yesterday and trimmed him back and already he seems better. He will need trimming more often of course, he has good strong hooves and seems happier already. He may need to be shod over the winter if friends want to hunt him ,but otherwise, am thinking of keeping him bare. Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

All you can do is see how you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It works for some horses, it doesn't work for others. It's really just trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I never went barefoot as such as it's a special type of trim but I have rode my horses trimmed without shoes over various periods over the years

See how it works out for you.
    It could be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Stumbling can be symptomatic of a whole other range of underlying issues - not necessary resolved by hazarding a guess at going barefoot. Have you had a vet look at him or spoken to your farrier as regardless alternative shoeing methods to combat the problem? How fat is he? Has he laminitis, arthritis, navicular, ringbone? How often are you shoeing/trimming him?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Fat, yes, probably morbidly obese. Vet says he is overweight (well ,d'oh) but no other issues, This is my 2nd day to ride him and he is much happier so far. Farrier says he'll trim every 4 weeks,so we'll see how we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

How are you getting on?

I keep my mare barefoot. She has good strong hooves that grow very slowly and as we work mainly on soft surfaces it just didn't make sense to have her shod. We just keep an eye on them and when they start to get a little long, usually after 4 months or so, the farrier will trim them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My chap has really fast growing hooves, so will need to be trimmed very regularly . He seems happier an we've worked on both the sand arena and in the field. Interesting to see your lassie only needs trimming every 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

My chap has really fast growing hooves, so will need to be trimmed very regularly . He seems happier an we've worked on both the sand arena and in the field. Interesting to see your lassie only needs trimming every 4 months.

Yeah, she has a lot of TB and WB on both sides, my farrier said these are often slow growers.

It saves me a few quid too (25 for trim instead of 60 for full set) which is a nice for a change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Definitely trial and error, but sounds like your horse is a good candidate for no shoes! When I got my current horse he was 3 and only in light work; same as you, no road work to speak of really and only doing the baby steps in the arena. He only got his first set of shoes then as a four year old when he came into proper work.

He is a piebald warmblood cross so there is cob in there which gives him big strong feet that are diamond tough (fingers crossed!) just got them trimmed every two months or so when he was shoe-less; saved money and there was no need for them at the time.

Just watch that the feet are wearing evenly and that there are no cracks/chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

monflat wrote: »
    I never went barefoot as such as it's a special type of trim .

There is no special trim for keeping a horse barefoot, that rumour was started by "barefoot trimmers" in order to justify them charging the price of a set of shoes for doing the first thing an apprentice farrier is taught to do.

OP, your cob sounds like a perfect candidate for going barefoot, I just wish more people would realise that their animals don't necessarily need shoes

• Advertisement

We're doing well, at present. Though he had a strop when he grabbed the reins as I was opening the arena gate and I wouldn't let him eat. I rode in Dartmoor a few years back, none of the horses/ponies had shoes and were well happy on the flinty ground.
    I'll shoe my guy for the winter if someone wants to hunt him (he LOVES to hunt and is safe as houses so is usually in demand) but otherwise, we're staying barefoot.

TheFarrier wrote: »
    There is no special trim for keeping a horse barefoot, that rumour was started by "barefoot trimmers" in order to justify them charging the price of a set of shoes for doing the first thing an apprentice farrier is taught to do.

OP, your cob sounds like a perfect candidate for going barefoot, I just wish more people would realise that their animals don't necessarily need shoes

Really.
    God I was always led to believe that barefoot and goin without shoes was a totally different trim.

So that's good to know!

TheFarrier wrote: »

Really.
    God I was always led to believe that barefoot and goin without shoes was a totally different trim.

So that's good to know!

Update, the little fat cob is far happier barefoot, less stumbling and happier all around. We actually jumped a PROPER jump today. (I have MS and haven't jumped in a long time. )

Glad to hear it

Brag Post alert * Jumped up the step out of the (currently) dry water jump, and managed to stay in the plate. He's a happy horsey!(And I'm a happy pilot)

Still a happy horsey to be shoeless, got his feet trimmed during the week. No more shoes unless someone wants to hunt him!

Glad to hear it bhobc, I would love to convince a lot of my clients to go barefoot, it's fairly soul destroying to spend up to 12 hours a week shoeing horses that would be absolutely fine barefoot!!
    There's nothing I hate more than pulling shoes off a horse, shoes that have been on 12 weeks, with 0% wear, pulling brand new shoes off a horse shod three shagging months, and shoeing him again knowing that the shoes are as much of a hindrance than a help to the animal!!
    I know I shouldn't complain as I'm being paid, but I'm not in the business of riding my customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Melinka

Very interesting read, thanks for the farrier input. My horse is turned out 24/7 in fields that can get a bit mucky in winter, particularly around their feed. I don't see him doing much work over the winter and he has good strong hooves. I think I will talk to my farrier next time he comes about leaving the shoes off.

I'd definitely consider it, Melinka. It's been great for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

A couple of people I know keep their horses barefoot, both for health reasons for the horse and because they dont do a lot of road work. As a backup they have "boots" to put on the horse for when they want to do a bit of road work, brand name is renegade and they both swear by them as tough wearing. Not sure they would put up with hunting on muddy ground but might be worth a look at. Have been thinking of doing the same for my mare as she doesn't do a lot of road work either.

I doubt those (or any) boots are suitable for hunting.
    I can't imagine they would provide enough grip for fast road work, I would be concerned about them in heavy ground also.
    Barefoot us perfect for a happy hacker or a child's pony, but if you plan to hunt, shoe your horsr

Advertisement