Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying transatlantic with a 4 month old

Options
  • 13-08-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just wanted to get people's experiences of dealing with jet lag and changing time zones with a baby. We're going to Canada for 8 days soon to see my brother and their new little boy. Our girls is 4 months old, and we're in the middle of trying to get her into some semblance of a routine, particularly with getting her to sleep at night and not being dependant on us rocking her to sleep. I'm just wondering how the change in times and jet lag might affect her if anyoine has any experience of this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

I did this with my son when he was 3 months old and we went to visiting family in Montreal.

The best advice is to have a schedule and a clear bedtime routine. We arrived mid afternoon and he went for a nap and we woke him so he didn't sleep too long.

Our bedtime routine has been the same since early days, bath - bottle - book - bed. We stuck to this in Canada as well so that he would know the difference between night sleep and day naps.

The worst of the jet lag is the first few days he was up early (4am) but we were jet lagged too so it wasn't too bad. After 3-4 days he settled back into his routine from home.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Just back from a round trip to Ireland from New Zealand with our then 4month old (and three other small children!). The good news is it's actually easier for the child to adjust their circadian rhythm than it is for you or I. A bedtime routine helps as does daylight/darkness at appropriate times. The hardest thing that I found wasn't the travel or the jet lag but that once we were there we had so many friends and family to see it was hard to maintain a regular rhythm and we were subject to others' (adults) schedules. If this will be the case for you having somewhere your baby can sleep on the go is invaluable. My boy is happiest in his sling but you might find a car seat or buggy works for you. Enjoy your trip!

Advertisement