Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet/drain blockage

Options
  • 13-08-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

So a tenant's toilet is blocked. The outside sewer/drain lid has been lifted and all is as it should be - so the blockage not coming from the street and the other waste water seems to be dispersing as it should be. So the next assumption would be the toilet is blocked from the house end as it were, So, if the tenant has flushed something too big or has managed to somehow block their own toilet who should be liable to pay for it getting fixed? The landlord or the tenant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

As it turns out the tenant has been flushing baby wipes (despite being asked not to) down the toilet and totally blocked it up. So should the 125 euro unblocking charge be borne by the tenant or landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Eamo71 wrote: »
    As it turns out the tenant has been flushing baby wipes (despite being asked not to) down the toilet and totally blocked it up. So should the 125 euro unblocking charge be borne by the tenant or landlord?

Tennant. Damage was caused by them, PRTB would not see it any differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Eamo71 wrote: »

Prima facie, the tenant. Check your lease. I have a clause in mine specifically relating to flushing things down the toilet. That might prevent any argument.

As an aside, the sheer carelessness of some people is mind boggling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I recently had to get a drain cleaner guy out to my rented apartment at the cost of the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Drainage is under the care of the tenant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Thanks, everyone. Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

It is on the tenant. My OH had a similar issue in a house share previously with one en suite toilet. His housemate were flushing those bloody toilet cleaning wipes. She expected everyone to share the pain, but the landlord (fair play) was very firm and wouldn't entertain the blame sharing. Don't know what it cost, but nothing needs to go down the toilet that doesn't actually come out of you or isn't specifically designed to (toilet paper).

Advertisement