Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:18pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So after well over a year after the American release SMT4 is finally getting a European release on 3DS. Unfortunately it will be digital only from the eShop but it will have a budget price of 20 euros. In case you didn't know shin megami tensei is the main line series that contains the Persona series. It's the first mainline game since Nocturne/Lucifer's Call on PS2 back in 2003.

I played and finished the US version last year ad it was one of the best RPGs I've played recently. So why should you be excited.

The battle system is a refinement of the press turn system from SMT 3 and the recent Persona games. Anyone that has played those games knows how great a system it is. It's very tactical with a lot of depth and relies a lot on status buffs and debuffs.

The demon fusion in the game is the biggest change for the series. You now have full control over what skills your demon inherits. You can now also search for what demons you can create with an incredibly helpful search engine. It's a massive step forward for the series where previously fusion seemed a bit pot luck.

The story is very well written. It's not so much about the main characters but more about a place and its people and how it came to be. It takes some cues from Dark Souls, the info is all there, you just kinf of have to piece it together yourself. It's far more maturity than anything from bioware of Square Enix as you would spect from the series.

It looks and sounds great. It's one of the best looking games on 3DS and has one of the greatest soundtracks of any game, yes it is that good.

Its not perfect though. It's very easy by series standards. It's starts tough but quickly gets a lot easier due to how much control you have over demon fusion meaning you can keep the more powerful stat buffs/debuffs going through a lineage of demons. It's also got a dreadful world map.dont let that put you off though its really damn good.

I've played and beaten all the DLC missions as well. All they are are extremely tough boss battles and you really don't want to go near then until te end of a new game plus. I had fun though creating the incredibly broken demons you need to beat them.

Anyway some trailers:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nice post. Will definitely be buying this, couldn't believe the price when it was announced. Has the release date been announced yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice post. Will definitely be buying this, couldn't believe the price when it was announced. Has the release date been announced yet?

No nailed down date but will be out in September.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No nailed down date but will be out in September.

Kinda annoying, have some long flights next month so was hoping I'd have it in time for those but looking unlikely now.

Anyway, can't wait, been dying for a good RPG for a while now. Finished Divinity the other week and it's left a void in my life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So this has finally gotten a release date after being delayed back in September. It's set for release on 30th October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

zdsU7xU.png

• Advertisement

It's out today people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

well what do ya know you wait a year , then it gets another delay then you wait 25 mins for the system update to finish just to be told oh sorry you have to free up space on your SD card when you LACK ANYMORE!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

**** you atlus

Buying now, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Where are you buying it from? I've had it ordered on Amazon since Dec-13 and no updates to their listings to reflect it as being released and available.

Hmm, it's digital only in Europe I'm afraid, amazon probably never updated their stock.

• Advertisement

mikeruurds wrote: »
    Where are you buying it from? I've had it ordered on Amazon since Dec-13 and no updates to their listings to reflect it as being released and available.

The eShop, there's no physical release.

Wow this game is difficult. Have just managed to do the tutorial missions after god knows how many deaths. Once I have a full team of demons it seems a bit easier though.

Wow this game is difficult. Have just managed to do the tutorial missions after god knows how many deaths. Once I have a full team of demons it seems a bit easier though.

It starts off very tough but gets much easier very early on. The ability to pass abilities to your demons is a bit overpowered since you can keep stat buffs and debuffs going through your demons. It's far and away the easiest megaten game I've played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I'm getting slaughtered!

One bit of advice, if you think you are going to get murdered then get out of Naraku. Better to survive and keep your levels and demons. Also don't keep your demons, make sure you are constantly fusing them to create higher level demons. This isn't pokemon, low evel demos are useless. Once the game progresses past Naraku the whole game changes and opens up dramatically. It gets a whole lot better but also much easier so hang in there!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It starts off very tough but gets much easier very early on. The ability to pass abilities to your demons is a bit overpowered since you can keep stat buffs and debuffs going through your demons. It's far and away the easiest megaten game I've played.

Yeah had heard it has some weird reverse difficulty curve. In the early areas of Naruku I can deal just fine now, killed Orthrus first go, so I think I'm getting the hang of it. Enjoyable so far anyway.

The DLC bosses are the exception. Don't go near them until the end of a new game plus and enjoy creating the most incredibly broken demons just to beat them :) I had a lot of fun with those.

Advertisement