Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would any PL players be able to run 100m in under 10 secs?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

advertsfox wrote: »

:eek: 30 year old player 'smashes' his own pb by over 20%, nothing suspicious here at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

:eek: 30 year old player 'smashes' his own pb by over 20%, nothing suspicious here at all...

In the 80th minute.....in a World Cup in Brazil. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you're talking about a 100m dash, then the likes of Sterling or Walcott would get destroyed. Those guys are built for acceleration over much shorter distances. Any sprinter would be carrying an extra 10-20kg over these guys and after 50-60m's, they would have a much higher top speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

how did they calculate those speeds? over 10m? over 20m? over 5?
    A sprinter starts from blocks, spends 30-50m getting up to max speed and holds it for as long as possible.
    A footballer usually has a running start, accelerates faster, but doesn't run in a straight line for very long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

http://youtu.be/Wp1KlSBjmqk

John Hart speed of light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Has Dennis Rommedahl been mentioned yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If you're talking about a 100m dash, then the likes of Sterling or Walcott would get destroyed. Those guys are built for acceleration over much shorter distances. Any sprinter would be carrying an extra 10-20kg over these guys and after 50-60m's, they would have a much higher top speed.
    Indeed. Theres a reason most top sprinters are over 6 foot and hailing from the Caribbean.

When we think of quick footballers its all small lads like Sterling or Messi. Its because the initial burst of pace is what counts most in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm sure many footballers could have went down a different career path and become sprinters, and if they did go down that path I'm sure there are a few who could break 10 seconds now, but I would be surprised if they could do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I doubt Usain Bolt could run 100m in under 10 seconds on grass while wearing football boots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Owen_S wrote: »
    I doubt Usain Bolt could run 100m in under 10 seconds on grass while wearing football boots

He'd be lucky to make the first metre before I'd have both legs gone from under him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mido was a weapon too. lightening. Swisssssssssssshhhhhhhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'm hoping some of the older posters here might be able to jog my memory on this. I think it was back in the late 1980s ITV had the rights to the FA Cup or Littlewoods Cup. As part of their coverage they ran a competition where the fastest players on each team would compete in a 100m sprint before the game kicked off. The sprint race was on grass and they ran in their football boots. I can't for the life of me remember who won the thing but as far as I remember he covered 100m in just over 11 seconds which is pretty fast given it's on grass and he was wearing football boots.

It's on Youtube - £10,000 was a decent prize for a lower division player back then. And another few quid from betting on himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Check out Carlin Isles (rugby player) gives you an idea of that sort of pace on a pitch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA5bwqVN5LM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Cienciano wrote: »
    Check out Carlin Isles (rugby player) gives you an idea of that sort of pace on a pitch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA5bwqVN5LM

That's fast.

He looks way faster than the likes of Habana, Lomu ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

advertsfox wrote: »

No he can't (not a proper sprint anyway). You are not taking into account the standing start 100m sprinters have to deal with. It takes them a while to build up full speed. It would be like saying that Bolt could run it in 8.2 seconds (taking his maximum speed and stretching it out over 100 meters).

Could a pro footballer run 100m under 10 seconds with a running start? It could be possible. It wouldn't be Sterling or Walcott though. These guys look so fast because you see them in short bursts in tight situations. They are all about acceleration. 100m is a long, long distance by football standards. As has been mentioned you hear stories about the likes of Richard Dunne and Gary Pallister out running pacy wingers over 100m. Robben does not have the build of a sprinter, and even with extensive training I don't think he would ever have amounted to anything more than an average sprinter (and remember, running under 10 means you are one of the world's very best). Cristiano Ronaldo would perhaps be a better shout - he is a physical specimen and has the build to do it too. But again, under 10 is a really big ask, so I would be doubtful if he could ever have achieved this

Could a pro footballer run under 10 sec under normal sprint conditions? No way. As has been pointed out, only a handful of people have ever done this.

I watched the European Championship sprint final the other day - the best sprinters of Europe who dedicate their lives to this. Not a single one ran under 10 seconds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement