Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time To See The Milky Way!

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Was on holiday in Turkey recently and whilst having a drink on the balcony one night the whole resort suffered a power cut.Every light went out and simultaneously it seemed as if someone had 'lowered' the sky!It was a stunning sight, the amount of extra stars visible was crazy and to top it off the band of the Milky Way revealed itself in all its glory.Amazing.I have always wanted to see the Milky Way but never experienced the right conditions.It doesnt disappoint!
    Unfortunately the power outtage only lasted five minutes but it set me thinking.Maybe, under the guise of it saving county councils money, us Irish amateur astronomers could suggest to Enda that once a month we shut off all street lighting around the country for ten minutes to save the country a few bob!(whilst we look at the night sky)
    Seriously though the difference was incredible whilst the lights were out.I know there is an anti light pollution campaign going on but I cant see it getting very far.Maybe a trip down to SW Kerry's night sky reserve is the only hope of seeing the Milky Way again in this country.Have any of you seen the Milky Way before, where were you, and what were your impressions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I saw it faintly in the countryside outside Gorey. You just need to get somewheres fairly dark, like you suggest, let the ol' peepers get adjusted to it and enjoy! I agree though, it's all too rare that we get a chance to see it, between street lights and neighbours yard lights etc. That being said, there's good reason for street lighting etc too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

How does one go about getting the dark sky reserve setup. It would be ideal for achill..

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

western Donegal county is also ideal for milky way viewing-very low light pollution.Can usually see a satellite and/or a meteor every few minutes

ireland_wide_large_dmsp.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Sounds amazing OP. Some experience.

I've had a few power cuts out my way in the last couple of years and the difference is amazing. I've seen it by going down to the local beach. There are street lights lining the beach but provided the tide is out I'm able to get a couple of hundred yards away from them and have seen it from there. If you get the chance again have a look at it through binoculars. The stars are most numerous along the band of the milky way so follow that band with the binoculars and you will see thousands of stars, maybe even tens of thousands. I'll never forget the first time I moved to my current location and I went down onto the beach and away from the lights and I saw Kembles Cascade through the binoculars for the first time. Fabulous.

Lads whats the Pheonix Park like for stargazing? Obviously Dublin is heavily lit but is the park big enough that in certain areas you escape all that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I was in OZ years ago in a caravan park in the middle of nowhere and there wasnt a artificial light to be seen for miles. It was the first time I realised just how many stars/planets are out there. It was beautiful tbh and amazing

• Advertisement
Advertisement