Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ltd company with Farm asset/investment

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

i have recently purchased a farm through my limited company. Does anyone know if it is better to declare the farm as an asset or an investment? I am trying to limit the amount of tax to pay as the money used to buy the farm was made by the company from IT activity. I will need to pay corporation tax on this also.

Any help appreciated

Gus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Employ a good accountant, sorry to be short but.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I think assets are ment to be associated with your main business activity.
    But don't really ave a bog notion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

gusman1859 wrote: »
    Hi,

i have recently purchased a farm through my limited company. Does anyone know if it is better to declare the farm as an asset or an investment? I am trying to limit the amount of tax to pay as the money used to buy the farm was made by the company from IT activity. I will need to pay corporation tax on this also.

Any help appreciated

Gus
    Hi Gus
    Just out of pig headiness - why did you purchase a farm and do you intend to farm it. Apologies in advance if I am been pertinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Base price wrote: »
    Hi Gus
    Just out of pig headiness - why did you purchase a farm and do you intend to farm it. Apologies in advance if I am been pertinent.

Yes, and especially in an IT company? You'll have no reliefs at all when you come to dispose of the farm.

Also to answer your question Gus I don't think it makes a difference. Land is a non depreciating asset so you'll have no capital allowances in order to reduce your tax bill. Your accountant will tell you for definite once you give him the full facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Don't feed the troll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

surely your current accountant and auditor will answer all your questions for €50 an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Hi,

Any help appreciated

Gus

If you have to ask these questions you should not have bought the farm

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gusman1859

Thanks for the constructive comments. My accountant will advise but sometimes those who have been through it know better. Any further constructive advice welcome.

Thanks for the constructive comments. My accountant will advise but sometimes those who have been through it know better. Any further constructive advice welcome.

surely befoe the company purchased the farm you asked your accountant for advice? not even a 5 minute call?

To be honest you wount get a correct answer from here. As we dont know the name of your comapny so cant check the memo and articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

a lot of the replies to this question seem to be bizzare, don't know why. I will reply as best I can.
    never a good idea to buy property in a company as traditionally its an appreciating asset and it you were to sell it in the future then there would be cgt on the sale and then you have the problem of the profit from sale in the company and if this is taken from the company then you are taxed again so in effect you are taxed twice. I imagine that you bought the land in the company as it may have been cash rich at the time.
    one good thing about having a farm in your own name and you are trading as a sole trader is that if it you make a loss (as a lot of people are) then it can be offset against paye income and get a refund of paye paid. can be good if you are in the high rate of tax.
    would be good If you let us know what your accountant has advised you. also without giving too much away how much land did you but?

• Advertisement

If you have to ask these questions you should not have bought the farm

My answer was predicated on the thinking that if you get involved in any business and are unaware of fundmentald od that busisness and the tax implication of them you should not be involved.

At a cursory glance his company may be cash rich with retained profits of after 12.5% coporation tax. Buying may not be the issue it si the profitable use after that may be the issue. From within his company he may be already be using car and other deprecable allowances.

The real issue is thatt if the company folds he will lose the farm or if he sells the company to retain the farm he will generate a tax problem. As an asset a farm cannot be depreciated, and capital allowances are better used outside a ltd company where tax can be over 50% rater than internally where they only generate a 12.5% tax relief buy can generate a 33% CGT or if you want to remove from company structure you require a taxable income to exit.

I be of the opinion that if a company is very cash rich the it is tax efficent way of getting the mony out of the company should be the prirtity not the the use within the compay to buy a asset that if it apreciates in vale will generate a higher tax rate than 12.5% company tax.

I would have considered holding the farm within the company in a seperate holding company so that a longterm exit strgety could be put in place.

Thanks for the most recent interesting replies. I will respond when im home this evening. Regards Gus

Hi

I have been pleasantly surprised by the volume of replies so far - thank you.

The company was cash rich at the time but I don't expect the value of the land to rise substantially any time soon so am not overly concerned by CGT.

Viztopia - this I found very interesting thanks. For info it is 60 acres.

" one good thing about having a farm in your own name and you are trading as a sole trader is that if it you make a loss (as a lot of people are) then it can be offset against paye income and get a refund of paye paid. can be good if you are in the high rate of tax.
    would be good If you let us know what your accountant has advised you. also without giving too much away how much land did you but? "

If I am trading as a limited company and my PAYE wife is a director of the company can she offset any losses against her income?

Farmer Pudsey - again thanks for your thoughts on this.

"and capital allowances are better used outside a ltd company where tax can be over 50% rater than internally where they only generate a 12.5% tax relief buy can generate a 33% CGT or if you want to remove from company structure you require a taxable income to exit"

Could you expand on the requirement of a taxable income to exit please?

"I would have considered holding the farm within the company in a separate holding company so that a longterm exit strgety could be put in place."

What benefit would having the farm in a separate holding company have at present? This is the first time this has been suggested.

My accountant has said that the farm is classified as an asset.

All the comments so far have referenced 12.5 corporation tax but my accountant has said that there would be a professional services on charge on distributable income and this would bring the total corporation tax payable on trading profits to circa 20% - Is this what is to be expected?

Regards
    Gus

you need to discuss this in more detail with your accountant and put together a structure with how your going to farm the land.

It sounds harsh but at the minute you sound like your all over the place and if so your going to loose out on tax planning tools.

thats from a farmer with a little experience in Ltd companies ;)

Lakill farm: not harsh at all. The problem i have is i have a Dublin accountant who isnt familiar with farming practice. Maybe this is the big change i need...

Lakill farm: not harsh at all. The problem i have is i have a Dublin accountant who isnt familiar with farming practice. Maybe this is the big change i need...

Well supplement your dublin accountant with a country accountant who is use to farmer or jump ship altogether.

The 2 areas you will benefit from are S381 and S392 as an individual

My idea would be as follows.

Your Ltd co owns the lad and will lease it to you for a fee per year. At market value say €6000
    you farm the land as a sole trader
    if your farm operates at a loss you claim S381/S392 when filling your Form11
    The co files its CT1 and includes the rental income of the land at market value

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm sure Lakill could recommend a farming friendly accountant :P

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm sure Lakill could recommend a farming friendly accountant :P

do you want me getting banned again :mad:

Well supplement your dublin accountant with a country accountant who is use to farmer or jump ship altogether.

The 2 areas you will benefit from are S381 and S392 as an individual

My idea would be as follows.

Your Ltd co owns the lad and will lease it to you for a fee per year. At market value say €6000
    you farm the land as a sole trader
    if your farm operates at a loss you claim S381/S392 when filling your Form11
    The co files its CT1 and includes the rental income of the land at market value

Does the OP even have a green cert or a herd number?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

do you want me getting banned again :mad:

i'm sure your capable of being discrete and sending a PM.. ;)

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Does the OP even have a green cert or a herd number?

you dont need a green cert

it takes about 4 weeks to get a herd number.

Also it was only an idea

_Brian wrote: »
    i'm sure your capable of being discrete and sending a PM.. ;)

The OP or anyone else is free to PM anytime

Hi

I have been pleasantly surprised by the volume of replies so far - thank you.

The company was cash rich at the time but I don't expect the value of the land to rise substantially any time soon so am not overly concerned by CGT.

Viztopia - this I found very interesting thanks. For info it is 60 acres.

" one good thing about having a farm in your own name and you are trading as a sole trader is that if it you make a loss (as a lot of people are) then it can be offset against paye income and get a refund of paye paid. can be good if you are in the high rate of tax.
    would be good If you let us know what your accountant has advised you. also without giving too much away how much land did you but? "

If I am trading as a limited company and my PAYE wife is a director of the company can she offset any losses against her income?

Farmer Pudsey - again thanks for your thoughts on this.

"and capital allowances are better used outside a ltd company where tax can be over 50% rater than internally where they only generate a 12.5% tax relief buy can generate a 33% CGT or if you want to remove from company structure you require a taxable income to exit"

Could you expand on the requirement of a taxable income to exit please?

"I would have considered holding the farm within the company in a separate holding company so that a longterm exit strgety could be put in place."

What benefit would having the farm in a separate holding company have at present? This is the first time this has been suggested.

My accountant has said that the farm is classified as an asset.

All the comments so far have referenced 12.5 corporation tax but my accountant has said that there would be a professional services on charge on distributable income and this would bring the total corporation tax payable on trading profits to circa 20% - Is this what is to be expected?

Regards
    Gus

The reason for a seperate holding company is that down the line you could seperate the farm from the company without too much hassle. From that i mean that you could sell the holding company to youselfin the case that you decided to exit the IT busisness by selling it on.

TBH there are lads better at the accountancy than me as Lakhill says get a accountant that is familar with agriculture is a good place to start.

you dont need a green cert

it takes about 4 weeks to get a herd number.

Also it was only an idea

But to get a herd number there will need to be a holding crush and possibly sheds to winter animals. To be honest I'm not sure about the logistics of that so someone else would know better.

Would you not need to be a qualified farmer to avail of any tax reliefs in the future? I know people can avail of them but that's because they've been farming the appropriate length of time.

Not critising your plan at all but what would revenues opinion be in the event of an audit? I know it's ok if an individual is a farmer, owns the land and can show he is trying to farm for profitability. Surely what you are suggesting is the OP rents land, is not a qualified farmer, farms at a loss and expects then to put that loss against income. It would seem to be very much pushing the boundary of tax avoidance?

But to get a herd number there will need to be a holding crush and possibly sheds to winter animals. To be honest I'm not sure about the logistics of that so someone else would know better.

Would you not need to be a qualified farmer to avail of any tax reliefs in the future? I know people can avail of them but that's because they've been farming the appropriate length of time.

Not critising your plan at all but what would revenues opinion be in the event of an audit? I know it's ok if an individual is a farmer, owns the land and can show he is trying to farm for profitability. Surely what you are suggesting is the OP rents land, is not a qualified farmer, farms at a loss and expects then to put that loss against income. It would seem to be very much pushing the boundary of tax avoidance?

I said "if there was a farm loss"

Why would it seem to push the boundary of tax avoidance? I would strongly dispute your statement. Its tax planning

I said "if there was a farm loss"

Why would it seem to push the boundary of tax avoidance? I would strongly dispute your statement. Its tax planning

To put farm losses against tax you have to attempt to farm for profit. What you are suggesting is getting the OP to farm without any qualifications and if he makes a loss put that against tax. I believe if that came to a revenue audit it would be very questionable if he were farming for profit. I suppose revenue are really the only people who could answer that question.

Hi i have a herd number. The nub of it all is proper tax planning.

Hi i have a herd number. The nub of it all is proper tax planning.

Realistically nobody on the internet is going to give you accurate advise without knowing your full situation. Probably best to pop into some ifac office and they could give advise with all the full facts.

Tax planning is all very well but as you know yourself Revenue are people you don't want to get on the wrong side of anywhere down the line.

Jeff
    farming is like lots of other trades busisness you do not need proven qualifications to become involved. Getting a herd No on 60 acre would not be problemmatic as long as you have a crush and a metod of housing a sick animal you will ahve most issues resolved.

Op more than likly from a farming background and may have an uncle, father or sibling that he was giving a hand to for the last 5 years and if he is over mid 30's this will qualify him as a farmer unless regulations changed over last few years.

In any business tax planning is the most important part of a sucessfull operation. This is true of IT, building, car dealer, hotel, B&B or any other busisness involved. Farming and other small sole traders have certain tax advantages that they should avail of if building up a business if they are already PAYE workers. It is standart practice in farming for market rentals to be used to farm inside or outside a company structure. Revenue have no issue as long as realistic market values are used. In OP case this could be anywhere from 6-18K depending on land rental charges in the area and OP own tax stragety.

• Advertisement

Realistically nobody on the internet is going to give you accurate advise without knowing your full situation. Probably best to pop into some ifac office and they could give advise with all the full facts.

Tax planning is all very well but as you know yourself Revenue are people you don't want to get on the wrong side of anywhere down the line.

Jeff i think your off with the fairies. your putting across ideas and your not even half sure of them yourself. I spend 4 years in college full time and a further 3 years getting my qualification. 7 years to give an opinion which I think would work

OP go to an accountant that is fimiliar with farming. It was my first suggestion. Also pull out a set of the memo and articles of the company and make sure the company is within its remit to rent the land or farm it.

Advertisement