Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I still get my grant and lone parents allowance?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I just had a baby and am going back to college to finish up my final year. My dad has been redundant the last 3 years and my mum has been out of work sick so the last three years I received the full grant. Like I said, I just had a baby and am applying for the Lone Parents allowance as myself and partner live in two different counties attending college. Does anybody know will I still receive my grant as well as the lone parents? I'm not sure what I am entitled to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You would not be entitled to OPFP as you have a partner and are only separated geographically.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Yes you can! And you can also apply for OPFA as long as you are not co-habiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Congratulations on the birth of your child op!

One Parent payment is possible with a grant yes. Thankfully, you have a partner, so as Sue Ellen touched on, as long as the two of you are responsibly co-parenting as you are, one parent payment will not be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Think that geographic separation thing only applies to married couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lauzx

Think that geographic separation thing only applies to married couples.

I thought so too. We're not married. Just going out together and living apart. He works part time in a supermarket. He has nothing to give me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Well then he should not be giving you baby if he can't afford to be a dad.
    What a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭akaMrSmith

mcko wrote: »
    Well then he should not be giving you baby if he can't afford to be a dad.
    What a country.

That's a stupid thing to say, are you implying that poor people should not have children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Lauzx wrote: »
    I thought so too. We're not married. Just going out together and living apart. He works part time in a supermarket. He has nothing to give me.

Before you receive OPFP you'll be expected to seek some form of maintenance from your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Yes

mcko wrote: »
    Yes

Does the word bigot mean anything to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

mcko is 100% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

So we should pay for your baby?

brembo26 wrote: »
    mcko is 100% right.

This is Ireland, in case you don't know we have a history of poverty. If poor people stopped having children the country wouldn't exist.
    Keep writing stupid posts, bigots like to say stupid things. Why let the side down?

desbrook wrote: »
    So we should pay for your baby?

Another stupid post. Who's asking you to pay? Has the OP rrequested money from you?

akaMrSmith wrote: »
    Another stupid post. Who's asking you to pay? Has the OP rrequested money from you?

Yes actually the OP has. Who do you think funds the welfare system?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Yes they have if this person pays taxes which they most likely do then yes they are paying for the ops baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

It seems unfair that because you aren't married and financially unable to look after your child you get benefits from people who are married but can't afford to have kids due to heavy taxes.

Yes actually the OP has. Who do you think funds the welfare system?

You need to educate yourself. In order to debate with you I would have to lower myself to your level and I'm not sure it's humanly possible to do that.

You need to educate yourself. In order to debate with you I would have to lower myself to your level and I'm not sure it's humanly possible to do that.

You make me chuckle :rolleyes:

It seems unfair that because you aren't married and financially unable to look after your child you get benefits from people who are married but can't afford to have kids due to heavy taxes.

Nothing about the tax system is fair. Boohoo it's not fair. Welcome to the adult world. Whoever said it was fair?

• Advertisement

So what would you suggest? Perhaps get rid of lone parents and let children starve to death? Whats your solution?

Are heavy taxes imposed by lone parents or the government? Who should you really direct your anger at?

So what would you suggest? Perhaps get rid of lone parents and let children starve to death? Whats your solution?

More like if it is at all possible, avoid having kids if you cant afford to feed them.

More like if it is at all possible, avoid having kids if you cant afford to feed them.

What about those that get pregnant by accident? Like my second child, not planned, condom burst, should we have had an abortion because we were young?
    Addition to my original post: Do you really think that if people avoid having children that the government will lower taxes?

Ill underline it this time, I said "More like if it is at all possible".

And what are you getting at about lowering taxes? Did I mention the word "tax" or "taxes" one in any of my posts?

Lauzx wrote: »
    Hi I just had a baby and am going back to college to finish up my final year. My dad has been redundant the last 3 years and my mum has been out of work sick so the last three years I received the full grant. Like I said, I just had a baby and am applying for the Lone Parents allowance as myself and partner live in two different counties attending college. Does anybody know will I still receive my grant as well as the lone parents? I'm not sure what I am entitled to.

There is a lot of information here. You may not get a full grant, but may be eligible for student contribution and fees portion of the grant. Speak to the education officer in your local social welfare office. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/social_welfare_payments_and_the_student_maintenance_grant_for_the_2010_11_academic_year.html

Ill underline it this time, I said "More like if it is at all possible".

And what are you getting at about lowering taxes? Did I mention the word "tax" or "taxes" one in any of my posts?

If people stop having children now what will happen to the tax system in 20 years time. Young people can never afford anything in Ireland. Pay is rubbish for them and thats for the lucky few that can find work. Just because the present government cannot provide jobs does not mean the country should come to a complete standstill. The jobs will come back.

The ref. to taxes was directed at desbrook, two birds with the one stone as it were.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

@ OP have you checked if you qualify for OPFA?

It's intended for people bringing up a child without the support of a partner which would imply that you may not be?

Young people can never afford anything in Ireland. Pay is rubbish for them and thats for the lucky few that can find work. Just because the present government cannot provide jobs does not mean the country should come to a complete standstill. The jobs will come back.

I was half way through typing an essay of a post but then I thought, whats the point?

All I am basically saying is if your financial situation is in shyte then dont have a kid. Get to a stage first where parent(s) and child can have a comfortable life and not have to struggle week to week whether they are in the welfare system or not.

Taxes? They are irrelevant in what I am trying to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

OP, I will send you a PM about this. Fair play to you for going back to college and juggling bringing up your little baby at the same time. It can't be easy. I'm sure it's only a temporary measure to get you through college, you'll be paying taxes your whole life so don't let anyone make you feel bad! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement