Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get solicitor before or after house purchase?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Looking at buying (first time) and have been looking at properties recently. (have mortgage approval)

Should I get a solicitor now so I'm ready to go if I find the right place. I guess I just want to be ready to move fast if the right place comes along. Or should I wait till I find somewhere first and then look for a solicitor :confused:

What other hidden costs are there besides legal fees, stamp duty, assessors.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

You should shop around now for a few solicitors get quotes detailing all the costs for conveyancing etc. No harm to ask around for a recommendation. It will range anything from 2500 to 4000 depending on solicitors. Once you are happy with a quote then you will be good to go when the right house comes along. Up until the point you go sale agreed you wont need a solicitor imo. From that point then they get the mortgafe details and the sellers details deeds etc and work rather quietly from rhen on. All the best with it. I am in the samd position myself at the moment waiting to sign contracts and move. Stamp duty is 1% of purchase price btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Jovetic wrote: »

What other hidden costs are there besides legal fees, stamp duty, assessors.

Don't forget you will owe a portion of the local property tax.

Regarding legal fees, one if the biggest cost is land registry and charges which is on top of the "professional fees"

Good luck with your search

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Another thing to keep in mind is how convenient the solicitor is to your office. You might save €500, but if you have to take the odd half day from time to time just to see them it's a pita. Having one that you can pop in to during a late lunch, or by leaving the office a little early is very convenient.

All going well there you'll hardly see them, but if you do need to drop in to sign something you'll be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Go on a trusted recommendation, not just on price alone. This will probably be the biggest purchase of your life. What's an extra couple of hundred euro. For my first place I went on price and it came back to haunt me. All worked out in the end, but the hassle was huge.

Went with a recommended solicitor for my current place. No problems whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

can you recommend anyone in cork :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thoie wrote: »
    Another thing to keep in mind is how convenient the solicitor is to your office. You might save €500, but if you have to take the odd half day from time to time just to see them it's a pita. Having one that you can pop in to during a late lunch, or by leaving the office a little early is very convenient.

All going well there you'll hardly see them, but if you do need to drop in to sign something you'll be grateful.

all the transactions can be done by post no need to visit the solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

all the transactions can be done by post no need to visit the solicitor

I have always had to go to the solicitor to sign. And sometimes you will pick up the keys from the solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I have always had to go to the solicitor to sign. And sometimes you will pick up the keys from the solicitor.

Thats a preference not a requirement.

Advertisement