Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school jacket/shoes - compulsory?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Can a school enforce a school jacket rule?
    The school in question made it compulsory last year that only the official school jacket could be worn - black with school crest, no hood - this is fine for children who go to school on the bus but for those who have to walk it is completely unsuitable. The school say the students themselves made the choice of jacket from a selection of three, one of the three was a heavier jacket with a hood but wasn't chosen.

My question is is it legal for the school to enforce this rule - that no other jacket can be worn to school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

same school also has a black shoes only policy - not even a millimeter of another colour to be seen on the shoe and last year had a black socks only rule too!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it's the school's rule, it's the school's rule.
    It's kind of like rules in a private members' club - you can go elsewhere if you don't want to follow them.
    Many schools have the black shoe rule.
    That said, your student council (which every school is supposed to have) should voice its opinion on this and bring it up with the board of management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

I suggest you do something like what I do. I wear my school jacket most days but if it's raining I wear my own jacket and swap it with the school one before I enter the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Rule can only be enforced at entrance to the school grounds. Once child takes off offending jacket and caries it in in bag they have no control over it. Mine have been doing this for yrs.some teachers will try get stroppy about it but I've always warned mine to be very polite and not argue the point. A school principal admitted to me they can't really do anything outside school grounds - but they will huff and puff about it.

Advertisement