Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert stats

• 13-08-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Has anyone a link for the percentage who got over 500, 550, 300 etc. Got 495 myself happy but not enough for science in ucd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

• Registered Users Posts: 36 student18

Great tks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just a note - those stats would be 'of those who applied to the CAO'.

The actual figures if you included everyone would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Only 162 students got 600 points? That seems very low. I would have thought maybe 500 or so got 600 or over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's not as common as the media would have you believe.

• Advertisement

It's not as common as the media would have you believe.

Thats true, but like I know of 8 people personally who got over 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Why is there two sets of numbers for example
    Candidates scoring from 500 - 599 : 5,088 ( 9.4%) 5,250 ( 9.7%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

Why is there two sets of numbers for example

That's the cumulative figure, it lets you know how many people got that number of points or above

In your example it means 9.4% got between 500 and 599 but 9.7% got 500 or above (ie. up to and including 600 points)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Only 162 students got 600 points? That seems very low. I would have thought maybe 500 or so got 600 or over

From what I can make out this doesn't account for the Maths HL bonus, so people who got say 605 would be 580 on this and such.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Thats true, but like I know of 8 people personally who got over 600.

True but there are schools where no student got over 500 either,so it averages out.

• Advertisement

What never gets mentioned is that almost 9% of students get less than 100 points. That's 4771 students this year. When you consider that, 162 people scoring 600 is entirely believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Is there stats for subject by subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anones1012

What never gets mentioned is that almost 9% of students get less than 100 points. That's 4771 students this year. When you consider that, 162 people scoring 600 is entirely believable.

I have never heard of anyone getting less than 100 points, even if it is this common why is is this common?

Is there stats for subject by subject?

yes

https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=st&sc=r14

anones1012 wrote: »
    I have never heard of anyone getting less than 100 points, even if it is this common why is is this common?

Because some people fail multiple subjects, but more commonly some people do all ordinary level/ foundation level subjects.

Someone getting 6 ordinary level C and D grades is in this category.

C2 (25), C3 (20), C3 (20), D1 (15), D2 (10), D3 (5) all ordinary would only net 95 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

The percentage of people getting A1s in all my subjects has fallen compared with last year according to that page.

I noticed accounting only had a 7.7% A1 rate this year whereas normally it's over 9%.

anones1012 wrote: »

Well a lot of people lie about what they get. Few would admit to getting below 100, unless they were making a joke out of it. And seeing as its their future theyre talking about they probably wouldnt find it all that funny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I was at school, I didn't know it was possible to leave school after the Inter. Cert. as no-one on our road, or in my estate had. I have since worked in areas where 90% of the young people left school after the Junior. It's less now, but many of those that would previously have left school at JC are now sitting OL LC.

Boards is not representative of an 'average' Irish student.

The fact that you may not know anyone who does all OL, or gets less than 100 points in their Leaving goes to show how unequal the Irish education system still is. You're lucky to be on the side that you are.

Advertisement