Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this unique to Finglas?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Was down in Finglas village today and popped into the Supervalue for the first time in at least a year. Before when it was Superquinn they had these shopping trollies with a 2 meter high vertical steel pole sticking out of them, presumably to prevent people taking trollies off the premises and not returning them. I always found it quite bizarre, the last time I'd seen trollies wit these steel poles was sometime around the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Anyway Super Value run the shop now and today Iwalked in today to see dozens of shoppers still walking around with these trollies, which look completely daft with the pole towering way above the heads of the women pushing them. They were branded Supervalue but I noticed that now at the top of the pole there is a right angle hook, presumably to stop people tilting the trolley and still getting the pole under the doorway. The bizarre just got a little more bizarre !

I don't know of any other supermarkets in Dublin who still run these types of trollies, the Finglas supermarket is the only place I know that still has them. Anyone know of any others ?

Also anyone know how you're supposed to get the shopping out to the car with those trollies in Supervalue Finglas ? Do you have to get permission off a security guard or something ? The whole mess would totally put me off shopping there in any case

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I was in a Spar in Clondalkin a few months ago where, instead of a regular cash register, you had to put your money through a slot at the top and your change came out in a tray at the bottom. It was a bit like Fort Knox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

I remember those trollies in Finglas from when I was a kid! They always had a tennis ball on the top of the pole. I'm assuming they replaced the tennis ball with the hook....fancy!!:) I'm assuming the hook is designed to prevent you from taking the trolley out of the shop. It's the type of trolley you use for a small shop which can be carried out in bags. The big trollies don't have them so you would need one of them to bring your shopping out if you didn't want to carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I was in a Spar in Clondalkin a few months ago where, instead of a regular cash register, you had to put your money through a slot at the top and your change came out in a tray at the bottom. It was a bit like Fort Knox.

Wow was it a security feature ? Like were the staff behind a glass screen too like in the banks ?
    I've seen those units in use in Gatwick but thought it was more so for the likes of WH Smith to speed up the Q's. I think McDonalds were looking at them too so they could avoid staff handling both food and cash in the same transaction and also make the customer do the payment task so the staff can be more efficient and get your order quicker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Not just Spar. Have the same in Ballina Co Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gillymuffins

It's the same in SuperValu in Northside Shopping centre with the trollies inside the shop. There are trollies outside that don't have the pole but you put a euro or something in so you can take the shopping out to the car.

Dunnes in Northside don't have the poles, but the wheels lock if you take them outside of the shop without paying, but I've no idea how that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Admldj

Seen these in Sweden in 2012, they have another one for the notes, the idea is that the cashiers aren't allowed handle the change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

If you like that you should check out the booze to go place across from Connolly station. All the drink, as well as the cashier, are behind glass. You ask for your drink, then place your money on the slide thing, then the cashier puts your drink in a larger drawer and slides it out to you.

The only time I was in there a lad came in, saunters up to the drawer and almost dislocated his arm trying to reach the drink inside on the shelves. The cashier didn't even bat an eyelid and asked me what I wanted, while this fella was trying ever so hard to get at the drink inside. Felt well sketchy tasking my money out. Anyway, when I had my cans he turns to me and said "Dutch gold yeah? Drink 12 of the and you black out. I need about 20 though, I drink a bit you see". True story

Haha I think I've been in that Booze to Go place but think it was their branch on Parnell Street which is identical to what you described, staff behind strengthen glass and a slot for your money and beer that you'd normally expect to see at a 24hr garage late at night.

iirc the shop that used to operate on the hill near the bottom of Infirmary Road (can't remember the name, Mays?) had absolutely everything in the shop behind the counter too. While they didn't have glass screens up customers had to ask for everything which meant kids would have the poor owner running between chocolate and crisps and cans all day. Lovely woman that ran it, she was from down the country somewhere. I always felt sorry for her that she was just there trying to make a few quid but that she'd been robbed so much by the locals that she had to literally protect all her stock by putting it out of customers reach. It's sad to see how scumbags can ruin a business like that on someone who works hard and the mechanisms of the State don't protect them in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, I was in that off-licence on Infirmary Road a couple of times. Thought it was mental, but realised that it must have been necessary.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Like this? Makes sense I suppose, less risk, no wrong change etc.

• Advertisement

Haha I love the way the link to the details of that cash machine describes one of the benefits of ownership, stating that "work-environment problems in the shape of nickel allergies are reduced"

You'd kinda think that if you've got an allergy to nickel on coins then the last place you'd get a job is in a shop ! Sales bluster solving problems that don't exist methinks :rolleyes:

Still though I can see those automated cash machines becoming pretty standard in shops over the coming years. They're a no brainer it they save 20-30 minutes of labour time cashing up a till at the end of every shift for every staff member. They're also likely to be a good bit more accurate at counting cash and coins than a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That's the one. I thought it was there to try and prevent the smash and grab raider but the change/cashing up element makes sense too. We probably will see these more and more throughout Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

The Londis near the CCJ on Parkgate Street has one of those cash machines too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Haha I love the way the link to the details of that cash machine describes one of the benefits of ownership, stating that "work-environment problems in the shape of nickel allergies are reduced"

You'd kinda think that if you've got an allergy to nickel on coins then the last place you'd get a job is in a shop ! Sales bluster solving problems that don't exist methinks :rolleyes:.

No it would be more preventing nickel allergies developing in staff which can happen as they are exposed to the coins throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you like that you should check out the booze to go place across from Connolly station. All the drink, as well as the cashier, are behind glass. You ask for your drink, then place your money on the slide thing, then the cashier puts your drink in a larger drawer and slides it out to you.

The only time I was in there a lad came in, saunters up to the drawer and almost dislocated his arm trying to reach the drink inside on the shelves. The cashier didn't even bat an eyelid and asked me what I wanted, while this fella was trying ever so hard to get at the drink inside. Felt well sketchy tasking my money out. Anyway, when I had my cans he turns to me and said "Dutch gold yeah? Drink 12 of the and you black out. I need about 20 though, I drink a bit you see". True story

Just imagine that place has booze on the shelves. It wouldn't last 10 seconds.
    I don't know how anywhere on O'Connell street manages to survive with the amount of junkies around helping themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

I always assumed the trolleys in Superquinn/SuperValu in Finglas with tennis balls on top were to stop drivers backing over them in the small car park outside!

Advertisement