Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treat them mean and keep them keen

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Wibbs wrote: »
    Depends entirely on the context and the people involved SE. Some women do respond better to a certain level of take it or leave it.

Plus I would say that for a few guys out there not treating "them" mean means gushing over women, just because they're women. IMHO the latter is sexist in the extreme. It's treating women as different, just because they happen to have a vagina and the guy wants access to that. In some ways the self proclaimed "nice guy" is a liar and a chancer. He's fronting an idea of "nice" and harmless(hardly a vibe to rouse the blood), while looking for more. "I want to be your frrrieeeeend, why don't you want to shag me" BS. At least the prickish "bad boy" player type is honest about what he wants. If as a woman you have such "friends" around you and you know they want more, a prick who is direct can be a breath of fresh air because of his honesty*. At least you know where you stand. With the let's just be friends men you don't. There's an ulterior motive going on. And that IMHO is why a fair few ladies go for the bad boy, it's not because he treats her badly, it's more because he's more honest and she knows where she stands.

My 2 cents anyway.

*and the I must tame him vibe.

Agree 100%. I was always regarded as a bit of a prick when i was younger yet as i get older now and move into my 30s i find that women respond much better to pretty much me being the same as i always was. When i say "prick" I mean that i treated girls the same as lads and was never afraid to tell a girl if she was acting like a clown. Led to some bust-ups surely but i have some great female friends as a result.

The guys who try to be friends with a girl for a few years whilst always harbouring ambitions of getting into her pants are a bunch of knobs if you ask me. Gutless and sly and not to be trusted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

A nice guy is not a push-over, a push-over is a push-over. A nice guy is not spineless, a spineless guy is spineless etc. etc.
    The negative connotations with the nice guy thing sets my teeth on edge. Neither is a nice guy disingenuous with his intentions, see spineless guy above.
    Nice guys finish first, fact. I hate, hate, hate the bad boy thing, have done since I was a young one. Any woman with an ounce of self worth and confidence likes nice guys, and visa versa, those who don't have issues. What the attraction is in being treated like shyte or the drippy worship thing is I do not know and cannot understand.
    Liking nice guys does not make you a bitch either, being a bitch does. Ultimately the most attractive thing is someone being themselves, and happy and confident within.

And this biological programming thing? Give me a break! It's depressing that anyone thinks we haven't progressed beyond that to some extent at this stage. If you believe that then women should still be tied to caves, battered and impregnated. We have moved on. Thank fcuk.

The nice guy finishes last is one of the most insidious myths out there, and needs to be de-bunked. I don't think you be a mature adult believe that.

Nice guys (and girls. The whole bitch attraction is equally bad) finish first with well-adjusted, happy, secure, confident people. But if you don't want one of those then by all means 'prey' on the insecure and vunerable for the ride. Legend :rolleyes:

ETA I think it's the insecurity and immaturity of the 'bad boy' that puts me off too. Grow up ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Czarcasm wrote: »
    eddy you can fill your boots with pictures of naked women on the internet. I doubt she particularly cares about what anyone but herself thinks tbh. It's not rocket science we're talking about here!

I just hope we're not talking about a student in your class either, best for your own career that you don't get mixed up in that nonsense. Just text her back and tell her put some clothes on, then leave it at that.

She works in the lab. Why would I want her to stop sending me naked photos? I like naked women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I dunno RD. If there is a chain it's a long and flexible one and culture and environment makes the links.

Take type 2 diabetes(bear with me... :)), it apparently has a large genetic component, it's also down to our evolutionary history. It's one of the biggest health problems facing modern humanity, yet non western civilisation folks almost never get it. Take depression. Large genetic component and again it's a real growing health problem facing modern humanity, yet some populations with the same genetics don't get it to nearly the same extent.

Just as lifestyle and environment is a major pressure for diabetes(and I would contend the same for depression), Narcissitic type behaviour is more selected for in the modern western world. The 20th century was the century of the self, the individual, the everyman. Common sense seemed to show that self esteem and feelings of individual specialness was the ultimate goal for self development. Sounds plausible but pretty much all of the evilest men in history had these features. The group, the culture bows to the individual(or appears to). Add in the 21st century with social media and the like and it is IMHO a major selective pressure in favour of narcissism. Everyone is "special". Special has been made universal, it has been democratised. Special has lost much of its meaning. Look at fame. Once you were famous for actually doing something, now people are famous just for being famous. All are special and all opinions are valid and often trump facts if enough share the opinion. A culture of public jockeying for likes "selfies". The name says it all. No wonder narcissism is growing.

I'm not so sure that's the counter argument.

gadetra wrote: »

And this biological programming thing? Give me a break! It's depressing that anyone thinks we haven't progressed beyond that to some extent at this stage. If you believe that then women should still be tied to caves, battered and impregnated. We have moved on. Thank fcuk.

I couldnt disagree more with this aspect. I see biological programming evident in these things all the time. Stand in the pub and look at how many beautiful girls have their arms around small ugly guys. Or how many supermodels are dating shelf-stackers from Tescoes? The biological programming is everywhere and present in pretty much every male-female sexual relationship.

A nice guy is not a push-over, a push-over is a push-over. A nice guy is not spineless, a spineless guy is spineless etc. etc.
    The negative connotations with the nice guy thing sets my teeth on edge. Neither is a nice guy disingenuous with his intentions, see spineless guy above.
    Nice guys finish first, fact. I hate, hate, hate the bad boy thing, have done since I was a young one. Any woman with an ounce of self worth and confidence likes nice guys, and visa versa, those who don't have issues. What the attraction is in being treated like shyte or the drippy worship thing is I do not know and cannot understand.
    Liking nice guys does not make you a bitch either, being a bitch does. Ultimately the most attractive thing is someone being themselves, and happy and confident within.

The nice guy finishes last is one of the most insidious myths out there, and needs to be de-bunked. I don't think you be a mature adult believe that.

Nice guys (and girls. The whole bitch attraction is equally bad) finish first with well-adjusted, happy, secure, confident people. But if you don't want one of those then by all means 'prey' on the insecure and vunerable for the ride. Legend :rolleyes:

ETA I think it's the insecurity and immaturity of the 'bad boy' that puts me off too. Grow up ffs!

But are you in the majority? I have known the most educated, grounded girls go for complete wasters again. One friend of mine has a boyfriend that cheats on her repeatedly. She goes mad at him and feels guilty. Now don't get me wrong at this stage she deserves it but people who like bad boys are not in the minority Imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

The problem is that nice guys are not nice guys. They are unconditional approval seekers so they end up being targeted by users. So the users become their sample pool and they then have this perception that women are either bitches, users or like being treated badly.

Most people don't want to be worshipped, they want to be appreciated and respected but when you pedastal someone you are still keeping them at a distance and that could demonstrate intimacy problems.

So rethink what you mean by "nice." Insecurity is not "nice," it's a nuisance.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I couldnt disagree more with this aspect. I see biological programming evident in these things all the time. Stand in the pub and look at how many beautiful girls have their arms around small ugly guys. Or how many supermodels are dating shelf-stackers from Tescoes? The biological programming is everywhere and present in pretty much every male-female sexual relationship.

People fancy who they fancy - most, if not the majority of the time couples have the same levels of attractiveness as each other, most of the time. There are always exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions not the norm.

I also love how that argument is trotted out 100% of the time with the woman as the villain - ie the superhot supermodel who won't go out with short ugly guys. It's never the super hot model man with a short ugly woman. I have never seen it argued that way!

Preferences are individual, and not an indicment (sp?) on a whole gender. I am a tall woman, and I like guys who are at least as tall as me for example. There are guys out there who don't like tall women, this does not concern or bother me. But always the short men are made out to be victimised by that choice, as in your example there (replace hotness with height). It's preference, it's NOT personal. Everyone can't fancy everyone. Nothing would ever get done!

People fancy who they fancy - most, if not the majority of the time couples have the same levels of attractiveness as each other, most of the time. There are always exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions not the norm.

I also love how that argument is trotted out 100% of the time with the woman as the villain - ie the superhot supermodel who won't go out with short ugly guys. It's never the super hot model man with a short ugly woman. I have never seen it argued that way!

Preferences are individual, and not an indicment (sp?) on a whole gender. I am a tall woman, and I like guys who are at least as tall as me for example. There are guys out there who don't like tall women, this does not concern or bother me. But always the short men are made out to be victimised by that choice, as in your example there (replace hotness with height). It's preference, it's NOT personal. Everyone can't fancy everyone. Nothing would ever get done!

In fairness I don't think it was trotted out that the woman was the villain.

I could have used the example of the hot man with the short ugly woman but this thread is called "Treat them mean keep them keen" which is a phrase used to describe a man's treatment of the woman in a dating/relationship context. I have no desire to paint women as villains at all.

The bits of your post i have emboldened completely prove my point, so thanks ;)

• Advertisement

Not sure about the DENNIS system, mostly because of...the implication :pac:

But the implication is where the system gets its power :D

steddyeddy wrote: »
    But are you in the majority? I have known the most educated, grounded girls go for complete wasters again. One friend of mine has a boyfriend that cheats on her repeatedly. She goes mad at him and feels guilty. Now don't get me wrong at this stage she deserves it but people who like bad boys are not in the minority Imo.

You friend has issues with self esteem and confidence. Education and intelligence are not guarantors of either. She doesn't deserve it, no one does. Your friend and her 'partner' are both broken people, enabling each other. Some day you would hope that she gets strong enough to realise she does not deserve to be treated that way, and someday you'd hope he grows into a mature, secure human being. But not with each other, it doesn't seem to be going that way between them!

In short you don't do that / put up with that if you value yourself as a person. Not in a cocky way (insecurity again) or a doormat way (insecurity) but in a secure in yourself and who you are way.

I could have used the example of the hot man with the short ugly woman but this thread is called "Treat them mean keep them keen" which is a phrase used to describe a man's treatment of the woman in a dating/relationship context. I have no desire to paint women as villains at all.

The bits of your post i have emboldened completely prove my point, so thanks ;)

They don't prove your point at all! You said how come hot women don't go out with short ugly guys. I said actually most couples have the same levels of attractiveness, there is rarely an imbalance either way. Which disproves your point.

And the fact that the treat em mean keep em keen thing is directed at women all the time is another, larger argument around gender equality, OT for this thread.

And am I as a woman not allowed to expess a preference in who I fancy? I am to start fancying short men coz it's unfair on them that i don't? Please. Are you telling me you express no preferences on your preferred partners? There's nothing in particular you like or dislike? Come on.

Steadyeddy, the woman is painted as the villain in that example as she is seen as a bitch for not going out with or excluding short ugly guys as a beautiful woman. It is rarely (i have never seen it) given the other way round. The woman in that example is judged harshly on two counts. 1. No matter how attractive she is she should want short ugly guys, how dare she exercise preference 2. She is a bitch coz she won't go out with short ugly guys. The responsibility is always on the woman, not on the guy in this example. She is denounced a bitch/shallow etc. But the other way round is never mentioned, and if it is it's said 'he could do better'.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

People fancy who they fancy

Isn't that the biological programming he was speaking of?

They don't prove your point at all! You said how come hot women don't go out with short ugly guys. I said actually most couples have the same levels of attractiveness, there is rarely an imbalance either way. Which disproves your point..

Couples having the same levels of attractiveness is biological programming. I am the one saying biological programming exists, you were throwing cold water on the idea, remember?!
    And the fact that the treat em mean keep em keen thing is directed at women all the time is another, larger argument around gender equality, OT for this thread.

I agree that it is a turn of phrase that may have originated in less enlightened times but it is a phrase in common parlance (or at least everyone knows that it means). And it is nearly always applied in the dynamic i and all else on this thread are discussing ie how a man treats the woman he wants. You suggested i was painting women as villains earlier. I am not. This is not a men v women argument. I dont know why you've taken that from what i have said. [/QUOTE]
    And am I as a woman not allowed to expess a preference in who I fancy?

Huh?
    I am to start fancying short men coz it's unfair on them that i don't?

Excuse me now?
    Are you telling me you express no preferences on your preferred partners? There's nothing in particular you like or dislike? Come on.

Of course there is. But to say biological programming is not a part of who i fancy is completely incorrect.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's well known, if not patently obvious, that in many fields such as business, politics and seduction, complete sociopaths finish first.

And let them on with it; finishing first is not really important.

Reindeer wrote: »
    You cited some studies previously regarding how the female mind works. Looking at the ones I see on line now regarding this topic, it would appear it has more to do with survival of the species than anything else. In the end, we are chained to our biology. We didn't evolve to marry. We evolved to reproduce.

I believe the Bloodhound Gang put it best. "You and me, Baby, ain't nuthin' but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel..."

It was this level of biological programming I was responding to, the whole we're nothing more than nature thing. You appeared to condone this guys argument with the example you gave. I am saying preference exists, but biological programming is not the only factor at play. Otherwise women would still be beat into caves and impregnated. My point is that we have moved on, there is preference now not posession as in pure biological programming.

ETA treat em mean keep em keen is a very gendered argument, from times before as you said but it exists in the common vernacular today, with all it's attendant sexism and disrespect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Soooo many sociopaths soo little time.... :-)

If you can do mean things to anyone without feeling bad you lack conscience. If you allow yourself to become a minion to a sociopath it is because you are apathetic to their ill deeds. And some people have no sense of self which is different to being selfish. Without a true sense of self you can't be restored to who you are and tend to be used a lot.

Empaths are seen as a threat because they see the emperor has no clothes. Empathic ladies/gents do not go out with bad boys ..they see through them.

By the way the guy who fauns lyrical over a girl that uses him the 'nice guy'. That's treat em mean keep em keen with gender roles reversed.

Females can be sociopaths.

I have seen nice guys get **** on much more often than nice girls.

It's lovely to see it when nice guys and girls get it together though. I have seen some beautiful couples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

My point is that we have moved on, there is preference now not posession as in pure biological programming.

Your language is garbled and your terms you throw around lack proper definition.
    Your point is confused, but basically seems to boil down to 'biological preference and other factors influence whom we deem to be attractive'.

In which case - *slow hand clap*

• Advertisement

Your language is garbled and your terms you throw around lack proper definition.
    Your point is confused, but basically seems to boil down to 'biological preference and other factors influence whom we deem to be attractive'.

In which case - *slow hand clap*

It's gotten to THAT point in the thread hasn't it?

Umkay I will leave you guys to this.

Love yas xx

steddyeddy wrote: »

Liking bad boys means you get to be a bitch and not feel bad about it. And you can be commitment/intimacy phobe and hide it. Or you can be a victim. Or you can indulge your pain and deprivation is a virtue complex and feel morally superior. Lots of plusses to bad boys!

diveout wrote: »
    Liking bad boys means you get to be a bitch and not feel bad about it. And you can be commitment/intimacy phobe and hide it. Or you can be a victim. Or you can indulge your pain and deprivation is a virtue complex and feel morally superior. Lots of plusses to bad boys!

The above makes me happy i am not a teenager anymore and can see giirls like this coming a mile off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Depends entirely on the context and the people involved SE. Some women do respond better to a certain level of take it or leave it.

Plus I would say that for a few guys out there not treating "them" mean means gushing over women, just because they're women. IMHO the latter is sexist in the extreme. It's treating women as different, just because they happen to have a vagina and the guy wants access to that. In some ways the self proclaimed "nice guy" is a liar and a chancer. He's fronting an idea of "nice" and harmless(hardly a vibe to rouse the blood), while looking for more. "I want to be your frrrieeeeend, why don't you want to shag me" BS. At least the prickish "bad boy" player type is honest about what he wants. If as a woman you have such "friends" around you and you know they want more, a prick who is direct can be a breath of fresh air because of his honesty*. At least you know where you stand. With the let's just be friends men you don't. There's an ulterior motive going on. And that IMHO is why a fair few ladies go for the bad boy, it's not because he treats her badly, it's more because he's more honest and she knows where she stands.

My 2 cents anyway.

Nicely put. seriously :) It's very truue that some self professed nice guys are just creepers, I have known some to look for a sympathy you-know-what :/

Actually, bad boys are often quick thinking and street wise which is attractive too. Its nice when someone can handle themselves, and use their wits to get them out of a tight spot. That type are rarely shy or reserved or, well..boring..in any area of a relationship, and there are obvious reasons why that is attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

If a saying rhymes then it is always true.

100%

It's well known, if not patently obvious, that in many fields such as business, politics and seduction, complete sociopaths finish first.

And let them on with it; finishing first is not really important.

The smarts ones, yes. The dumb ones are in prison.

• Advertisement

CdeC wrote: »

100%

Lets come up with some other rhymes!

I have to be quiet though as the computer thinks I'm working but it's on boards that I am lurking and my work that I am shirking!

The tone of this thread is so pompous, the boredom level is monstrous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

CdeC wrote: »

100%

I would like to believe you, but your sentence doesn't rhyme

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye and as Gadetra pointed out it goes both ways. In general you won't see good looking men with plainer partners. Though I would say IMH and IME anyway it happens slightly more often. Maybe because if a good looking guy lacks confidence he rates himself down? I dunno.
    Nicely put. seriously :) It's very truue that some self professed nice guys are just creepers, I have known some to look for a sympathy you-know-what :/
    To be fair to the "nice guys" who are taking a battering here, it's not surprising there are a few about. For a start the media paints a distorted picture of how a guy should act romantically. A lot of general romcoms are wish fulfillment exercises where the geeky awkward guy gets the babe by being her friend, running after her, consoling her, making huge romantic gestures before they actually get romantic etc until the last reel where she dumps the rich handsome cad for the geeky guy. That's a strong meme in our culture. Contrast that with literature aimed primarily at women* where the handsome cad is the hero. Hell 50 shades of grey sells like gangbusters and have a look at the hero bloke in that. Even sex and the city again primarily aimed at the female demographic and look how yer wan's Mr Big acts. He flits into her life, bonks her and flits out again and again he's the prize, his name says it all.

Basically lads, don't take romance advice if Ben Stiller is pimping it. :D

So how do guys learn? There's all sorts of conflicting guff out there, from romcoms to cheesy pickup "artists". Not easy if you're a 20 year old bloke trying to learn and a woman you fancy is in regular contact with you, emotionally connects with and looks for consolation and advice from you. You're just waiting for the last reel of the flic when she finally realises. When it goes south you're told "just be yourself", "there's the right person out there for you" etc. Not easy really.

On the treat em mean keep em keen cliche I always saw it as gender free funny enough. Maybe it's a generational thing and it's more thought of as one way these days?

*primarily aimed at. I know loadsa women who either can't stand that stuff or read/watch it as mental popcorn for the craic. They don't take it seriously.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

I'd agree with the poster who said nice doesn't mean spineless.
    It's interesting that there's a positive spin ascribed to a bad boy (honest, know where you stand) and a very negative spin ascribed to a nice guy (creeper, not honest)

The problem with humanizing bad boy behavior is that it is an enabler.

Your bad boy boyfriend cheated on you, he's a bad boy
    He stood you up, he's a bad boy
    He forgot your birthday, he's a bad boy

So phrasing your choices as either a bad boy or a nice guy is counterproductive.
    It should be good guy or not good guy.
    Good guy simply meaning someone that treats their partner with respect and their self with respect.

Aye and as Gadetra pointed out it goes both ways. In general you won't see good looking men with plainer partners. Though I would say IMH and IME anyway it happens slightly more often. Maybe because if a good looking guy lacks confidence he rates himself down? I dunno.

To be fair to the "nice guys" who are taking a battering here, it's not surprising there are a few about. For a start the media paints a distorted picture of how a guy should act romantically. A lot of general romcoms are wish fulfillment exercises where the geeky awkward guy gets the babe by being her friend, running after her, consoling her, making huge romantic gestures before they actually get romantic etc until the last reel where she dumps the rich handsome cad for the geeky guy. That's a strong meme in our culture. Contrast that with literature aimed primarily at women* where the handsome cad is the hero. Hell 50 shades of grey sells like gangbusters and have a look at the hero bloke in that. Even sex and the city again primarily aimed at the female demographic and look how yer wan's Mr Big acts. He flits into her life, bonks her and flits out again and again he's the prize, his name says it all.

Basically lads, don't take romance advice if Ben Stiller is pimping it. :D

So how do guys learn? There's all sorts of conflicting guff out there, from romcoms to cheesy pickup "artists". Not easy if you're a 20 year old bloke trying to learn and a woman you fancy is in regular contact with you, emotionally connects with and looks for consolation and advice from you. You're just waiting for the last reel of the flic when she finally realises. When it goes south you're told "just be yourself", "there's the right person out there for you" etc. Not easy really.

On the treat em mean keep em keen cliche I always saw it as gender free funny enough. Maybe it's a generational thing and it's more thought of as one way these days?

*primarily aimed at. I know loadsa women who either can't stand that stuff or read/watch it as mental popcorn for the craic. They don't take it seriously.

I never understood the weight placed on the 50 shades sales. I haven't read the book, saw the trailer... it looks like Bridget Jones meets American Psycho.

It's just a fantasy. Look how much violence sells to the male audience... doesn't mean they are violent does it?

Weird correlation tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

In my view, in any relationship the one who cares less is the one with all the power.

So if a women knows you don't really give a **** if ends, she'll fall head over heels.

If she knows you'll be there 24/7 wagging your tail like a puppy she will lose interest very fast.

Holsten wrote: »
    In my view, in any relationship the one who cares less is the one with all the power.

So if a women knows you don't really give a **** if ends, she'll fall head over heels.

If she knows you'll be there 24/7 wagging your tail like a puppy she will lose interest very fast.

:rolleyes: Yeah cos that's how it goes. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

It was this level of biological programming I was responding to, the whole we're nothing more than nature thing. You appeared to condone this guys argument with the example you gave. I am saying preference exists, but biological programming is not the only factor at play. Otherwise women would still be beat into caves and impregnated. My point is that we have moved on, there is preference now not posession as in pure biological programming.

ETA treat em mean keep em keen is a very gendered argument, from times before as you said but it exists in the common vernacular today, with all it's attendant sexism and disrespect.

I'm not condoning nor denying. I've no real dog in this fight, nor most fights on the web.

One could also argue wrapping the trappings in 'culture' or 'civilisation' doesn't necessarily mean we aren't biologically predisposed to behave in such a manner, either(which was my previous point with WIBBS).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Plus I would say that for a few guys out there not treating "them" mean means gushing over women, just because they're women. In some ways the self proclaimed "nice guy" is a liar and a chancer. He's fronting an idea of "nice" and harmless(hardly a vibe to rouse the blood), while looking for more. At least you know where you stand. With the let's just be friends men you don't. There's an ulterior motive going on. And that IMHO is why a fair few ladies go for the bad boy, it's not because he treats her badly, it's more because he's more honest and she knows where she stands.

My 2 cents anyway.

Hmm your right about that Wibbs, sometimes guys are just too nice and is all a front but they can be players too no doubt. Takes skill to weed them out though when they can lie so easily just to get what they want. They can be nice guys and players but not be a bad boy usually the bad boy is more up front about what he wants a nice/player time isn't but doesn't hide it either he just approaches is differently and nicely than a bad boy player type. Now how can you tame him?

If he lies and cheats, a cheater rarely changes his spots! A girl can treat them mean and keep them keen and the guy can still play them. Usually the guy gives up but what about those that don't and keep it going that he too afraid to let things go? Guys cheat if they are bored, they are looking elsewhere, they want to secretly see other girls, they not happy in the relationship they are in or its not going anywhere or something is missing in the relationship but usually its cause of the thrill and the excitement.

Unfortunately us ladies may have to kiss a few frogs before meeting our princes and I don't mean in the fairytale sense that doesn't exist neither does the whole soulmate and 'the one' you can have many in a life time.

doovdela wrote: »
    Hmm your right about that Wibbs, sometimes guys are just too nice and is all a front but they can be players too no doubt. Takes skill to weed them out though when they can lie so easily just to get what they want. They can be nice guys and players but not be a bad boy usually the bad boy is more up front about what he wants a nice/player time isn't but doesn't hide it either he just approaches is differently and nicely than a bad boy player type. Now how can you tame him?

If he lies and cheats, a cheater rarely changes his spots! A girl can treat them mean and keep them keen and the guy can still play them. Usually the guy gives up but what about those that don't and keep it going that he too afraid to let things go?

The real bad boys are not upfront at all and masters of illusion. Complete frauds who are laughing at you behind your back.

Being up front does not make you bad.

The real bad boys are not upfront at all and masters of illusion. Complete frauds who are laughing at you behind your back.

Usually the bad boys give off a vibe soon enough to know they just use any girl and just know what they want but often or not its hard to read a player cause they are masters at it! Can be difficult to catch them out despite getting good vibes off them its when you get a bad vibe off them or something doesn't add up you know then. Players just tell girls what they want to hear and they fall for it even when they could be playing them but not realising he has the ball in his court when she thought she does.

Guys finishing last not true usually its the quiet ones and secretive and mysterious ones are the ones to watch out for or those that are probably too chatty they less likely to be caught out in a lie cause he can spin stories.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I never understood the weight placed on the 50 shades sales. I haven't read the book, saw the trailer... it looks like Bridget Jones meets American Psycho.

It's just a fantasy. Look how much violence sells to the male audience... doesn't mean they are violent does it?

Weird correlation tbh.
    Well... Violence sells to men yes, but it's more about being the hero. The hard as nails, cool, James Bond/Jack Reacher/Indiana Jones etc type. Men who are the drivers of their narrative, who women adore and men want to be, who are respected. It's a fantasy alright but the violence is only a tool of the hero type and watching films like that few men in the audience don't place themselves in the hero role and few wouldn't want to be him if only for a time. Video games aimed at men generally plug into this too. They can be the hero of another reality with the flick of a switch. Villains have this agency, they're the darker side, but they are also the drivers of their narrative and again are respected. For many men doing the daily grind who have little enough agency this is powerful stuff.

Stuff aimed primarily at women tends to be less James Bond fantasy level. It's more rooted in the everyday(beyond the handsome pirate/sheik type stuff :)). Much of it is more redolent of their everyday lives and a woman is much more likely to meet her "Mr Big" at a business convention than a man is going to meet "Goldfinger" and kick off a car chase at the same convention. So the fantasy is more rooted in reality and given that kinda things popularity and how many memes repeat in the hero/object of the female protagonists desire it carries more into the real world of what she may desire. Not at the fantastical extreme of course.

Even in male fantasy stuff look at the women in the stories. They're usually younger, fit the current cultural ideal of female attractiveness, sexually available and dig the hero. Few men would turn down younger, gorgeous and sexually available women that dig them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Usually the bad boys give off a vibe soon enough to know they just use any girl and just know what they want but often or not its hard to read a player cause they are masters at it! Can be difficult to catch them out despite getting good vibes off them its when you get a bad vibe off them or something doesn't add up you know then. Players just tell girls what they want to hear and they fall for it even when they could be playing them but not realising he has the ball in his court when she thought she does.

Guys finishing last not true usually its the quiet ones and secretive and mysterious ones are the ones to watch out for or those that are probably too chatty they less likely to be caught out in a lie cause he can spin stories.

It's true, as you get older you recognise the cognitive dissonance and know something is off and at that point you know...so you are not even interested in arguing, you just go.

Exactly about the quiet ones. Dogs that don't bark, bite!

Well... Violence sells to men yes, but it's more about being the hero. The hard as nails, cool, James Bond/Jack Reacher/Indiana Jones etc type. Men who are the drivers of their narrative, who women adore and men want to be, who are respected. It's a fantasy alright but the violence is only a tool of the hero type and watching films like that few men in the audience don't place themselves in the hero role and few wouldn't want to be him if only for a time. Video games aimed at men generally plug into this too. They can be the hero of another reality with the flick of a switch. Villains have this agency, they're the darker side, but they are also the drivers of their narrative and again are respected. For many men doing the daily grind who have little enough agency this is powerful stuff.

Stuff aimed primarily at women tends to be less James Bond fantasy level. It's more rooted in the everyday(beyond the handsome pirate/sheik type stuff :)). Much of it is more redolent of their everyday lives and a woman is much more likely to meet her "Mr Big" at a business convention than a man is going to meet "Goldfinger" and kick off a car chase at the same convention. So the fantasy is more rooted in reality and given that kinda things popularity and how many memes repeat in the hero/object of the female protagonists desire it carries more into the real world of what she may desire. Not at the fantastical extreme of course.

Even in male fantasy stuff look at the women in the stories. They're usually younger, fit the current cultural ideal of female attractiveness, sexually available and dig the hero. Few men would turn down younger, gorgeous and sexually available women that dig them.

I dunno Wibbs, when I was growing up we all wanted to be Linda Carter in Wonder Woman and played it in the playground. We'd spin around and grab a rope and try to lasso someone.

Sex and the City just looks like Jane Austen wrapped up in Dolce and Gabbana.

I really don't know what happened between now and then.

I dunno Wibbs, when I was growing up we all wanted to be Linda Carter in Wonder Woman and played it in the playground. We'd spin around and grab a rope and try to lasso someone.

Sex and the City just looks like Jane Austen wrapped up in Dolce and Gabbana.

I really don't know what happened between now and then.

I think we'd all like to be emily blunt in edge of tomorrow
    or scarlett's kick ass Widow ^^

• Advertisement

It's true, as you get older you recognise the cognitive dissonance and know something is off and at that point you know...so you are not even interested in arguing, you just go.

Exactly about the quiet ones. Dogs that don't bark, bite!

That's interesting so its the ones that you don't fight with or argue with or not had a trouble in paradise moment or its going too well with each other and those that are very quiet or don't say much or those that are 50/50 about what they say is true/false.

True and it can also depend on what the woman may want at the time. The "bad boy" might be just what the doctor ordered on say a holiday romance of heady emotions and hardcore nookie, but back home she wouldn't want to settle down with that guy, because he'd be a really bad bet. He's just a "holiday". Science(tm) seems to back this up somewhat. Research over the years shows women are attracted to different types of men depending on their point on their menstrual/fertility cycle. IE when ovulating they prefer more masculine/high testosterone type faces, but otherwise and especially when pregnant they prefer less masculine/lower testosterone type faces. Now culture and the human brain overrides most of this stuff*, but it makes sense to the monkey brain. High testosterone men are more forward, take more risks and are more likely to approach and be sexual. Great if you want sons like that as they're more likely to keep the genes going. However the same high testosterone males are more likely to stray, or even leave, but lower testosterone guys are more likely to stay, have less aggression(a bad thing around kids) and are a better bet long term. Other research has found that longterm relationship/married men with kids have lower testosterone than their single peers, even if they started off the same(and their testosterone creeps back up if they get divorced). It seems nature prefers lower testosterone in blokes in longterm pair bonded relationships. Fascinating stuff really.

*another interesting one I read found that women who met guys when they were on the pill, were much more likely to leave him if they later came off the pill. The pill subtly affected their desires. Goes the other way too. Strippers on the pill get fewer tips from men than strippers who aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Treat them mean, make them clean!

Gandalph wrote: »
    Treat them mean, make them clean!

Huh?:confused:

That's interesting so its the ones that you don't fight with or argue with or not had a trouble in paradise moment or its going too well with each other and those that are very quiet or don't say much or those that are 50/50 about what they say is true/false.

I don't really know, but there is nothing I distrust more than passive aggression, so being that placid would make me nervous, but that could just be me and what I am used to. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Huh?:confused:

Hi

I don't really know, but there is nothing I distrust more than passive aggression, so being that placid would make me nervous, but that could just be me and what I am used to. :)

Ya I know what you mean some guys can be passive alright but didn't think the more placid ones would make you distrust them I thought them being laid back was a good thing but guess they could be hiding something and have a motive so by being too placid with a girl so his true self doesn't really show and that is easier for him to get what he wants by playing nice. The placidity is a mask which he hides behind. I thought some guys are just either nice or not nice by nature now I am beginning to wonder takes a lot longer to get to know someone yet people claim they know each other after a short space of time after meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm neither nice nor mean, I treat each person on their own merit and uhh... that's worked out for me. That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

True and it can also depend on what the woman may want at the time. The "bad boy" might be just what the doctor ordered on say a holiday romance of heady emotions and hardcore nookie, but back home she wouldn't want to settle down with that guy, because he'd be a really bad bet. He's just a "holiday". Science(tm) seems to back this up somewhat. Research over the years shows women are attracted to different types of men depending on their point on their menstrual/fertility cycle. IE when ovulating they prefer more masculine/high testosterone type faces, but otherwise and especially when pregnant they prefer less masculine/lower testosterone type faces. Now culture and the human brain overrides most of this stuff*, but it makes sense to the monkey brain. High testosterone men are more forward, take more risks and are more likely to approach and be sexual. Great if you want sons like that as they're more likely to keep the genes going. However the same high testosterone males are more likely to stray, or even leave, but lower testosterone guys are more likely to stay, have less aggression(a bad thing around kids) and are a better bet long term. Other research has found that longterm relationship/married men with kids have lower testosterone than their single peers, even if they started off the same(and their testosterone creeps back up if they get divorced). It seems nature prefers lower testosterone in blokes in longterm pair bonded relationships. Fascinating stuff really.

*another interesting one I read found that women who met guys when they were on the pill, were much more likely to leave him if they later came off the pill. The pill subtly affected their desires. Goes the other way too. Strippers on the pill get fewer tips from men than strippers who aren't.

That is the exact opposite in my experience, as in COMPLETE reversal in my own series of experiences. Funny that.

The most promiscuous men I have known, and of that ONE was entirely fraudulent and deceptive in how he went about this, the other two were just weak really- hall had their hair, ostensibly low testosterone, didn't like sports, very female brained in some ways. And the friends of mine who are more ostensibly high testosterone, balding, like violent movies, play high risk adrenaline sports, need aggressive outlets, are incredibly loyal fathers and husbands. Weird.

• Advertisement

Ya I know what you mean some guys can be passive alright but didn't think the more placid ones would make you distrust them I thought them being laid back was a good thing but guess they could be hiding something and have a motive so by being too placid with a girl so his true self doesn't really show and that is easier for him to get what he wants by playing nice. The placidity is a mask which he hides behind. I thought some guys are just either nice or not nice by nature now I am beginning to wonder takes a lot longer to get to know someone yet people claim they know each other after a short space of time after meeting.

This is not gender specific with me. I just cant stand passive aggression. It's like my bottom line. Can't tolerate it. Hate it.

Advertisement