Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie PW Intercontinental Champion Tournament

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Jericho by a country mile. Better wrestler, better promos, better matches. He also had those excellent IC title matches with Mysterio in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Jericho, do i need an explanation? For me, with HBK gone, Jericho is the winner of the tournament, not just because of how many times he's won it, but even in the modern era he can make it seem important and bring legitimacy. One of the best performers of all time and put over so many guys by losing the strap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

y2j the greatest ic champ ever and the most memorable

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Cody Rhodes was a great IC champ, but Jericho beats him out, had great runs in a much more competitive era for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jericho - great matches and feuds especially with Benoit and Angle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jericho all the way. Record breaking amount of wins and awesome classic matches against the likes of Benoit, Kurt Angle, Regal and others... Cody doesn't even get a look in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Jericho-If only for the ladder match against Benoit at RR 2001 but some amazing feuds aswell and an absolutely stellar moveset, promo and charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Chris Jericho absolutely destroys Cody who was only champ from modern times to have a half decent run. Looks like Jericho is very much the man to beat. Don’t give your house, wife and kids to Paddy Power for a Jericho win just yet. These too “big” men might have something to say about Y2J winning.

Razor Ramon
    “The Bad Guy”

razor-ramon-intercontinental-champ.jpg

VS

Randy Orton
    "A Legend Killer is Born"
    tumblr_mklvzw4W0j1ql0k28o1_500.png

First to six give your reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Randy Orton for me. He had some phenomenal matches as IC Champ and damn that title looked good around his waist.

Razor - His ladder match with HBK was great plus he held the title more than Orton

• Advertisement

Razor - Brought more to the table, some classic matches and 3 good long runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Ramon

Ramon

Final rounds I'm asking to expand on you choices. Your two cents, reasoning and why you think your guy should do through. Just adds a bit to the quarters, semis and final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Razor- Wrestlemania X booked his spot here.

It is a pity Randy is getting such a pounding here. He is probably one of the most memorable of the oval title belt champs. Super matches, made him a star and the feuds at the time were killer.

But I can’t look past Razor Ramon. The WMX match and feud for the title with HBK was the IC titles best match and feud bar none (IMO). Plus I think the fact Hall never held a world title adds to his tenure as IC champ in a weird way if you know what I mean.

Can we have a recount for cody and jericho

CODY CODY!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Another tough one. Both guys had awesome runs and I loved some of Randy's matches as IC champion and he held the title with pride but Razor wins out. The gold looked made for him and other then the two ladder matches, he had a string of good matches and the title always meant something when he held it.

So Razor for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Scott Hall has never been in a royal rumble match. When asked by fans why this was the case, the Bad Guy responded by saying he was 'probably too busy defending the IC Strap'.

Razor is synonymous with the Intercontinental title. "Something happens my gold, something gonna happen to you Chico".

Razor Ramon gets my vote

Razor much like Jericho moves convincingly into the final disposing of Randy Orton. So we have our final four. All guys that have fought each other many times IRL and some that even competed in title matches for the IC championship. The excellence of execution, the king of the mountain, the ayatollah of rock and rolla and the bad guy. For the semis we won’t go first to whatever number (cause tbh it’s not the most flawless way of voting).

We’ll say first semi-final voting now and finish at about 8 or 9.
    And the second semi-final commences then till about noon tomorrow.
    All day final Saturday and the champ is crowned Saturday night or sometime Sunday.

As per finals rounds- your vote and reasons why.

Jeff Jarrett
    "Slapnut n Country Singer"
    JeffJarrett007.jpgjj1.jpg

Jarrett debuted in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in late 1993 under the gimmick of "Double J" Jeff Jarrett, a country music singer[7] who intended to elevate his singing career through his exposure as a wrestler. Jarrett's character would strut to the ring wearing flashing "Double J" hats and ring attire, and he punctuated his promos with the phrase "ain't I great?". He ended his interviews by distinctly spelling out his name ("That's J-E-Double-F, J-A-Double-R, E-Double-T!").[8]

Jarrett made his pay-per-view debut in January 1994 at the Royal Rumble. At SummerSlam, he pinned Mabel. At Survivor Series, Jarrett competed in a 10 man elimination tag match. In January 1995, Jarrett had a brief feud with Bret Hart, ultimately losing to Hart on the January 23 episode of Monday Night Raw. At the Royal Rumble in Tampa, Florida, Jarrett defeated Razor Ramon to win the WWF Intercontinental Championship. In an effort to become a dual champion, Jarrett challenged Diesel for the WWF Championship in the main event of the February 20 episode of Raw, but lost the match. Razor Ramon received a rematch at WrestleMania XI which Jarrett lost by disqualification, but retained the WWF Intercontinental Championship. Jarrett was then joined by The Roadie, with the duo losing to Razor Ramon in a handicap match at In Your House 1. On April 26, 1995, the WWF Intercontinental Championship was declared vacant after a controversial ending to a match between Jarrett and Bob Holly. They had a rematch later that evening where Jarrett reclaimed the title. On May 19, Razor Ramon regained the title from Jarrett in Montreal, Quebec, but Jarrett won it back two nights later in Trois-Rivières, Quebec, making him a three-time Intercontinental Champion.

At In Your House 2: The Lumberjacks on July 23, 1995, Jarrett performed the song "With My Baby Tonight". Later that evening, Jarrett lost the WWF Intercontinental Championship to Shawn Michaels. Following the event, Jarrett left the WWF for 7 months and returned to the United States Wrestling Association. Jarrett returned to the WWF in late 1995, feuding with Ahmed Johnson. Jarrett lost to Johnson by disqualification at the 1996 Royal Rumble and left the WWF shortly thereafter due to a contract dispute. Later that year, The Roadie revealed that he had in fact sung "With My Baby Tonight" and that Jarrett had been lip synching.[8]

Jarrett went on to reprise his country music singer gimmick, introducing Tennessee Lee as his manager and the tag team Southern Justice (formerly known as The Godwinns) as his bodyguards.

He redeveloped his habit of breaking an acoustic guitar over the heads of his opponents. At Unforgiven: In Your House, Jarrett once again sang alongside Sawyer Brown with their hit single, "Some Girls Do". In August, Jarrett abandoned his country singer gimmick and dismissed Lee. He and Southern Justice began feuding with D-Generation X, with Jarrett losing to D-X member X-Pac in a hair versus hair match at SummerSlam. Jarrett's long hair was subsequently cut short by D-X and Howard Finkel, who had himself been shaved bald by Jarrett and Southern Justice shortly before SummerSlam. Jarrett and Southern Justice were defeated by D-X at Breakdown in September, and the trio separated shortly thereafter.[8][10]
    Jarrett briefly feuded with Al Snow before reuniting with Debra, who had left WCW for the WWF, and forming a tag team with Owen Hart.

Hart and Jarrett were close friends and travel partners for years, so the team gelled almost immediately. Jarrett and Hart won the WWF World Tag Team Championship from Ken Shamrock and The Big Boss Man, successfully defending the titles at WrestleMania XV before losing to Kane and X-Pac on an episode of Raw. 8 days after Hart was killed in a stunt that went wrong at Over the Edge, Jarrett defeated The Godfather, who Owen was scheduled to face at the pay-per-view. As he was handed the title he yelled Hart's name in tribute to his friend. In mid-1999, Jarrett won and lost the WWF Intercontinental Championship on 2 more occasions.[8][10]

In the months that followed, Jarrett became increasingly abusive towards Debra. At SummerSlam, Jarrett challenged D'Lo Brown for both the WWF European and Intercontinental Championships, with Debra accompanying Brown to the ring following an argument with Jarrett. Brown lost the match after both Mark Henry and Debra turned on him, making Jarrett the second ever "Euro-Continental Champion". On the following episode of Raw, Jarrett rewarded Debra and Henry by giving Debra an assistant, Miss Kitty, and Henry the European Championship.[8][11]

In late 1999, Jarrett began feuding with Chyna over the Intercontinental Championship.[12] In the course of the feud, Jarrett became somewhat misogynistic, attacking numerous females,[12] including both wrestlers and actress Cindy Margolis, and executing the figure four leglock on them. Jarrett eventually abandoned Debra in favor of Miss Kitty after he and Debra were defeated by Stephanie McMahon and Test in a mixed tag team match. He later also turned on Miss Kitty after she lost a match that Jarrett had inserted her into in his place.[8][10]
    Jarrett left the WWF in October 1999, right after WWF head writer Vince Russo resigned from the WWF in order to join WCW.[13]

Jarrett's contract expired on October 16, 1999, one day before his scheduled match with Chyna at No Mercy.[14] Jarrett wrestled at No Mercy nonetheless, losing the Intercontinental Championship to Chyna.[15] Chyna later alleged that Jarrett and Russo had colluded in order to delay Jarrett's title defense until after Jarrett's contract had expired, and that Jarrett had subsequently extorted WWF Chairman Vince McMahon for $300,000 in order to wrestle without a contract.[14]

VS

Bret Hart
    "The Best There Is, Was and Ever Will Be"
    62.jpg
    Hart won his first WWF Intercontinental Championship by defeating Mr. Perfect with the Sharpshooter at SummerSlam in 1991,[46][47] and subsequently won the 1991 King of the Ring tournament on September 7, 1991 at the Providence Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island. At Survivor Series 1991, Bret Hart teamed with The British Bulldog, Virgil, and Roddy Piper against Ted DiBiase, The Mountie, Ric Flair, and The Warlord. Hart was counted out alongside with The Mountie, DiBiase, Piper, and Virgil to make Flair the sole survivor. Hart's first pay-per-view title defense occurred at This Tuesday in Texas, where he beat the undefeated Skinner.[48]

In January 1992, Hart placed in a feud with The Mountie. This feud came about when the Mountie's manager, Jimmy Hart, threw water on Hart. Then, The Mountie proceeded to shock Hart with a cattle prod. On January 17, 1992, Bret Hart dropped the Intercontinental Championship to The Mountie.

Following the loss, Roddy Piper (his real life cousin) defeated Mountie with a sleeper hold two days later at the 1992 Royal Rumble,[49] and Bret would later pin Piper for his second Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania VIII later that year,[50][51] making him the first, and one of few wrestlers to ever pin Piper's shoulders to the mat.[11]

At a Wrestling Challenge taping on July 21, 1992, Hart defeated Shawn Michaels, with the Intercontinental Championship suspended above the ring, in the WWF's first ever Ladder match, which would subsequently be made available on multiple Coliseum/WWE Home Video releases.[52] Hart dropped the Intercontinental Championship to his brother-in-law, Davey Boy Smith, in Hart's first WWF pay-per-view main event at SummerSlam 1992 held before over 80,000 fans at Wembley Stadium.[53]

Pro Wrestling Illustrated readers voted it the "Match of the Year";[54] WWE has named the match as the greatest in the history of SummerSlam.[55] Upon induction into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2006, Hart would cite the contest as his favorite match of his career.[56]
    [/CENTER]

Most votes in the next couple of hours wins. If the mods want to change the title of the thread for the semis/final to promote votes that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I was a big fan of Jarrett but this is the end of the road for him.

As i've said before, Bret brought the IC title to heights never before seen(and never matched since). It made him the legend he is today and he had awesome match after awesome match. Pipers best match of his career was for the IC title, as was Bulldogs. Maybe even Mr.Perfect. And the opponent was Bret Hart.

Sorry Double J. Great champion but Bret takes this.

• Advertisement

Jeff Jarrett, not the better wrestler by any means, and prob didn't have the better matches either, but he was the more entertaining, his feuds were always funny and he was a very solid mid carder, he may not have ooozed charisma but he certainly had more than Bret. Although i like JJ this vote is prob more to do with the fact that i despise Bret :o

Personally I can't look past Bret. He had it all for me. The look, the talk and great in ring. He brought people to new heights in his matches.
    I'm fond of Jarrett. I think he is very creative. Huge amount of personality.

Bret has aura around him. The belt looks natural to me on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Jeff Jarrett. I prefer him to Bret in every way possible. He deserves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Bret for me. Same reasons as before he'll always be the standout IC champ to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Bret Hart because he got more mileage as IC champ than Jeff Jarrett and he had great matches with Piper, Davey Boy Smith, etc as champ as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Have to go with double J here. Bret has had the more accomplished career, but for me he's much more synonymous with world titles whereas Jeff ruled the midcard for a number of years.
    Jeff Jarrett FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Ironic that it's Bret vs Jeff as Bret had originally been an idea to do a cowboy gimmick in the 80's prior to the Hart Foundation. I believe it was to be similar to what Jarrett's gimmick ended up being with a country singing element to it.

It's sort of uneven because Jarrett had more PPV IC title matches and Monday Night Raw than Bret as in 1991-1992 there were only 4 PPVs and SNME had faded out. However, Bret's three matches with Hennig, Piper and Davey Boy are still strong enough to carry my vote for Bret.

Bret and Shawn did have some decent home video matches for the IC belt in 1992 including the first ladder match.
    There's also this curio: Bret & Savage vs Michaels & Flair

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭colmufc

my vote goes to bret ,
    it was a launch pad to bigger things but it was something he used to great effect for so long before the big push plus summerslam 92 was epic even thou he lost double j just did nothing with the belt besides hate on women and try desperately to get heat for it the belt was secondary to him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Bret Hart all the way. 1 million times better and more entertaining than Double Yawn Jeff Jarrwtt

• Advertisement

Bret - He had more memorable matches for me

Advertisement