Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicare Exemption Certificate- 2014

Options
  • 14-08-2014 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have previously successfully applied for a medicare exemption certificate for the past 2 financial years, which meant i got a tax refund of approx $2k. A friend of mine applied for her exemption for 2013/2014 year and has been refused the exemption- she had also previously got the exemption. We are both 457 visas, and both from ireland. Have the goal posts changed for the last financial year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Twominator wrote: »
    I have previously successfully applied for a medicare exemption certificate for the past 2 financial years, which meant i got a tax refund of approx $2k. A friend of mine applied for her exemption for 2013/2014 year and has been refused the exemption- she had also previously got the exemption. We are both 457 visas, and both from ireland. Have the goal posts changed for the last financial year?

On what basis did they refuse her? Did she send all her paperwork correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Twominator

Batgurl wrote: »
    On what basis did they refuse her? Did she send all her paperwork correctly?

They didnt provide a reason. But she did get the exemption last year. I searched google and didnt find antyhing specific. However, i did find the following on the ATO website:

You may not be eligible for the exemption if you:

* hold a permanent resident visa or have applied for a permanent resident visa
    * were a resident of the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Malta, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Belgium, New Zealand, Norway or Slovenia before entering Australia
    * maintain a dependant or another person who was eligible for Medicare
    * are an Australian citizen living overseas for less than five years

I am wondering if the goal posts have moved this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Well if they have moved does it mean we don't need private health insurance?

catbear wrote: »
    Well if they have moved does it mean we don't need private health insurance?

And that we are entitled to free healthcare? If we are paying the same damn levy we should be getting the same damn services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

And that we are entitled to free healthcare? If we are paying the same damn levy we should be getting the same damn services.
    It's ironic that the politicians have been giving out about the 457 being abused and then they abuse it too!

That's enough to get my Roo up!
    rytHAMW.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I got my medicare exemption certificate back in July with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

What does your friends letter say? Mine doesnt say I'm entitled to an exemption but rather says not eligible for medicare for the period July 2013 to June 2014

I remember the 'not eligible' bit throwing me when I looked at it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

They didnt provide a reason. But she did get the exemption last year.

Is it possible she disclosed anything different than previous year? did she live in Northern Ireland or UK or any other reciprocal country?

Remember its not your passport/Nationality that entitles you to Medicare but where you were resident before moving to Australia.

ie. if you are from the South and only have an Irish passport but resided in the North prior to moving to Australia then you are eligible for medicare and ineligible for an exemption.

I searched google and didnt find antyhing specific. However, i did find the following on the ATO website:

You may not be eligible for the exemption if you:

* hold a permanent resident visa or have applied for a permanent resident visa
    * were a resident of the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Malta, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Belgium, New Zealand, Norway or Slovenia before entering Australia
    * maintain a dependant or another person who was eligible for Medicare
    * are an Australian citizen living overseas for less than five years

I think that's a mistake, if you look at the exemption

Eligibility
    You may be eligible for Medicare levy exemption if you:
    • do not hold an Australian permanent resident visa and have not
    applied for a permanent resident visa.
    • did not reside in one of the following countries prior to entering
    Australia – the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Italy, Malta,
    Sweden the Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Belgium or Slovenia.
    These countries have a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with
    Australia.
    • are an Australian citizen residing overseas for 5 years or more
    (this excludes diplomats, defence force personnel or an employee
    of the Australian government).
    • are a New Zealand citizen that has been residing in Australia
    for less than 6 months.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/3169-1306en.pdf

reciprocal agreement means you will only receive the same health benefits from which the country you come from.

Do Aussies receive free healthcare in Ireland? and are they exempt from PRSI?

Do you receive free healthcare in Ireland? and are you exempt from PRSI? (just a question because I don't know)

If you are charged a levy by default (everyone is) is up to you to prove that you are exempt.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    reciprocal agreement means you will only receive the same health benefits from which the country you come

Not true. I have a condition which Ireland offers 100% free treatment for even when you don't have a medical card.

I explained this in hospital here but Australia refused to accept reciprocal agreement as cover. Luckily I have private healthcare as well but I had to pay a gap.

• Advertisement

Not true. I have a condition which Ireland offers 100% free treatment for even when you don't have a medical card.

I explained this in hospital here but Australia refused to accept reciprocal agreement as cover. Luckily I have private healthcare as well but I had to pay a gap.

That's because Ireland only offer Aussies entitlement to receive emergency public hospital treatment subject to the normal charges for non-medical card holders in Ireland.

Where as a resident from The UK would have full medical cover because UK offers that in return.

I can understand what you mean by your ongoing condition and it being free of charge back home, but would Aussies be allowed free treatment for the same condition in Ireland? or would it just be emergency treatment only?

Is the sticking point at Australia's or Ireland's end?

Advertisement