Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog rehoming

• 14-08-2014 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Someone I know needs to have a dog rehomed, due to a change in circumstances the dog will find itself left alone most of the day, not walked or interacted with etc if not re-homed. I'd take him, but there's nowhere here for him to sleep at night, & I don't be here at all some days so that doesn't fly. I've tried all local avenues for getting him a good home, with no luck. So unfortunately it looks like a pound/shelter is the only option here. Can anyone recommend a known good one in Dublin? I found <snip> by searching, & it seems nice, has anyone heard of it? Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Firstly OP please do not bring this do to any pound, dogs who are surrendered MAY have 5 days until they are put to sleep, but the can be PTS upon arrival (strays usually get the 5 day reprieve etc. not surrenders)– if the dog is not rehomed quickly it will most def. be PTS – so please don’t even consider this.

The dog owners, have they looked at all other options?

1. A dog walking service
    2. Doggie day care

If you are based in Dublin you could contact:

1. <snip>
    2. <snip>
    3. <snip>
    4. <snip>

If they cant help they may be able to put the dogs details up on their Facebook page / website -this may help getting him adopted.

You could post here in the rehoming section of boards…

TBH OP shelters / pounds / adverts.ie / dondeal.ie are FULL of dogs needing new homes you may find this very difficult to do, IMO the owners should take responsibility and look at all avenues i.e. dog walking service, dog day care , rehoming should be the very last resort.

also please ensure the dog is neutered before rehoming so it doesn’t end up in a puppy farm etc.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

cocker5 wrote: »
    Firstly OP please do not bring this do to any pound, dogs who are surrendered MAY have 5 days until they are put to sleep, but the can be PTS upon arrival (strays usually get the 5 day reprieve etc. not surrenders)– if the dog is not rehomed quickly it will most def. be PTS – so please don’t even consider this.

It's not my decision unfortunately, I'm only trying to look for alternatives as a favour. The <snip> site says this:
    <snip> has a no destruction policy so we never put a recoverable dog down, and as a result the sanctuary is a permanent home for many forever dogs that are “too old or too bold” to be rehomed

...and that's why they caught my eye. It sounds like a decent option, but you never know, hence me asking for feedback on them.
    The dog owners, have they looked at all other options?

1. A dog walking service
    2. Doggie day care

If you are based in Dublin you could contact:

1. <snip>
    2. <snip>
    3. <snip>
    4. <snip>

Money is an issue here, & being home to send the dog out/receive him home cannot be guaranteed so while I appreciate the suggestions, I don't think they'll work in this case.
    If they cant help they may be able to put the dogs details up on their Facebook page / website -this may help getting him adopted.

Certainly worth considering, cheers.
    You could post here in the rehoming section of boards…

Is there a forum/thread for this? I wasn't aware...
    TBH OP shelters / pounds / adverts.ie / dondeal.ie are FULL of dogs needing new homes you may find this very difficult to do, IMO the owners should take responsibility and look at all avenues i.e. dog walking service, dog day care , rehoming should be the very last resort.

This is a last resort, personal circumstances have changes which I won't go into...but this isn't someone just washing their hands of a pet...he has to go, very reluctantly though.
    also please ensure the dog is neutered before rehoming so it doesn’t end up in a puppy farm etc.
    :mad:

I hadn't thought of that, cheers. Money is an issue though in this case :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, it is against the forum charter to discuss individual rescues. Please make any recommendations by pm.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's not my decision unfortunately, I'm only trying to look for alternatives as a favour. The <snip> site says this:

...and that's why they caught my eye. It sounds like a decent option, but you never know, hence me asking for feedback on them.

Money is an issue here, & being home to send the dog out/receive him home cannot be guaranteed so while I appreciate the suggestions, I don't think they'll work in this case.

Certainly worth considering, cheers.

Is there a forum/thread for this? I wasn't aware...

This is a last resort, personal circumstances have changes which I won't go into...but this isn't someone just washing their hands of a pet...he has to go, very reluctantly though.

I hadn't thought of that, cheers. Money is an issue though in this case :(

OP, you are trying your best thats all you can do, fair play for trying to find this dog a good home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DBB wrote: »
    Folks, it is against the forum charter to discuss individual rescues. Please make any recommendations by pm.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Sorry DBB, I wasn't aware. I'd appreciate any suggestions by anyone via pm. Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement