Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting quotes for a new build

Options
  • 14-08-2014 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi

We got the good news a few weeks ago that we are granted full planning permission.
    To say we are delighted is an understatement.

I received a number of letters this morning from different building firms/contractors etc.
    Obviously they keep an eye on what permissions are granted & are scouting for business.

One has offered to give a free quotation if we send on a copy of the drawings.
    So my question is this - is the drawings that the arcitcecht drew up & submitted to the council sufficent for this?
    Or do we need further detailed drawings in order to start getting quotes?

This is my first time building anything so you will have to excuse my ignorance.

Thanks

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

TowerCross wrote: »
    Hi

We got the good news a few weeks ago that we are granted full planning permission.
    To say we are delighted is an understatement.

I received a number of letters this morning from different building firms/contractors etc.
    Obviously they keep an eye on what permissions are granted & are scouting for business.

One has offered to give a free quotation if we send on a copy of the drawings.
    So my question is this - is the drawings that the arcitcecht drew up & submitted to the council sufficent for this?
    Or do we need further detailed drawings in order to start getting quotes?

This is my first time building anything so you will have to excuse my ignorance.

Thanks

T

The less detail you give, the less clarity you have on price and the less likelihood you will achieve value for money and cost certainty. If you had to go for planning I assume you will fall under the new regulations on building control and will need to appoint an assigner certifier who will have an input in respect to detailing so I would advise you to start with them and get a detailed tender pack together to issue to contractors for pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TowerCross

Thanks for the reply kkelliher.

It has confused me somewhat - please excuse my ignorance.

I am vaguely aware of these new building controls that were introduced last March - this is where I am getting mixed up. If I submit plans to a number of firms/contractors etc and decide to go with one of them do they not provide the person who acts as the assigner certifer?

Or do I have it backwards?? Get the assigner certifier first & then employ the contractor/builder or whatever? And last question, how do I find an assigner certifier? What exactly is it that I am looking for??

I am planning to meet up with our architect in the next couple of weeks - should I just leave all queries until I speak to him and see what he recommends we do?

After reading back my posts I do feel a little like a babe in the woods - naive and totally ignorant about building houses!

T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

I am planning to meet up with our architect in the next couple of weeks - should I just leave all queries until I speak to him.

T

i would start here. assigned certifier is not a builder. there are plenty of threads on the topic if you do a search

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Or do I have it backwards?? Get the assigner certifier first...

This will confuse you even more...sorry! :)

You need a Design Certifier first.

Is your 'architect' a registered architect (i.e. registered with the RIAI)?

Only a registered architect, chartered building surveyor or chartered engineer can act as either/or Design Certifier and/or Assigned Certifier.

Basically, to cut to the chase, you are going to need detailed construction drawings and documentation to show how the house (I assume?) complies with the Building Regulations...prior to starting work, these drawings/specifications are 'signed off', as compliant, by the Design Certifier.

It is these drawings/specifications that you are going to need, that could be priced by builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TowerCross

Thank you both Docarch & kkelliher for you very helpful replies.

To answer your question Docarch our architect is a registered architect & is very helpful.
    He is on holidays at the moment so when he comes back I will be arranging to meet with him.

From what I understand now we will ask him to act as both our design certifier & assigner - we trust him implicitly & are extremely happy with the help he has given us already, steering us away from what he felt the council would not like in a new house etc.

He will then produce more detailed drawings than what we already have and these can then be used for both obtaining quotes for construction & also to show that the house will comply with the building regulations.

Thank you very much for all your help - I am much happier now that I know what needs to be done.

T

• Advertisement
Advertisement