Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing switch tripping.

Options
  • 14-08-2014 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi

I have a timing switch in my apartment on storage heating and every time it gets to the time set for the hot water to come on it trips out the rcd . I took of the switch and tested between live and earth and once the connect was made the rcd tripped again. I was thinking about changing both the mcb and front of the timing switch as no other circuit is tripping the rcd.?

Any ideas what may the problem be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Hi

I have a timing switch in my apartment on storage heating and every time it gets to the time set for the hot water to come on it trips out the rcd . I took of the switch and tested between live and earth and once the connect was made the rcd tripped again. I was thinking about changing both the mcb and front of the timing switch as no other circuit is tripping the rcd.?

Any ideas what may the problem be ?

The problem is unlikely to be the timer but what's connected it
    My money's on the immersion needs replacing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

Robbie.G wrote: »
    The problem is unlikely to be the timer but what's connected it
    My money's on the immersion needs replacing

Thanks mate

So how would I go about that just call a plumber ? Might try change timer and mcb first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Thanks mate

So how would I go about that just call a plumber ? Might try change timer and mcb first ?

Why do that there should be a switch for the immersion turn it off and then turn on timer. If no switch disconnect immersion and test
    The chances timer or mcb fecked highly unlikely

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Why do that there should be a switch for the immersion turn it off and then turn on timer. If no switch disconnect immersion and test
    The chances timer or mcb fecked highly unlikely

Ya I turned of the switch then turned it back on it trips straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭John Electrician33

Immersion is faulty - you need to get a plumber/electrician to replace element

• Advertisement

Thanks very much .

Thanks very much .

Replaced it as said and have same problem again worked ok for about six weeks could there be a bigger problem ?

Thanks very much .

Replaced it as said and have same problem again worked ok for about six weeks could there be a bigger problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Are you in a very bad limescale area strange it worked for six weeks and then trips again.

Did you see the element that was removed?

crasy dash wrote: »
    Are you in a very bad limescale area strange it worked for six weeks and then trips again.

Did you see the element that was removed?

Ya the element didnt have any limescale on it that I can recall. Is therr a chance its a loose connection om the wiring or the other element ? If I disconnect the element and turn on the timer and it doesnt trip it should mean other element is ok ?

• Advertisement

Right just few basics so i can get to fully understand you have an immersion that is connected to a timer
    (Is it on esb night rate i see you mention storage heaters in your first post)

Is it like this rcd> mcb>timer>immersion>hopefully hot water
    or esb night meter>rcd>mcb>timer>immersion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

it shouldn't be the heater again after only 6 weeks unless it was faulty or damaged going in

not a loose connection either

is that the only appliance that trips the rcd?

Nearly be thinking myself it could be a cumulative of leakage currents from several devices.

Only possibility is that element may be damaged on installation and now is showing the fault.
    I am just trying to figure out is if it is fed from seperate night rate meter or connected to main rcd in board and hence connected to all circuits

Only way op will find out if the element is faulty would be to megger the element while its still in place.

@crazydash ya its rcd mcb timer immersion no hot water anymore was working sound after changed the first time .

@mikeyjames9 Once the timer comes on which it is set at it automaticly trips the rcd but only in the last two days so hot water

Is there a good chamce that its the second element that is gone if thats the case ?

@crazydash ya its rcd mcb timer immersion no hot water anymore was working sound after changed the first time .

@mikeyjames9 Once the timer comes on which it is set at it automaticly trips the rcd but only in the last two days so hot water

Is there a good chamce that its the second element that is gone if thats the case ?

By any chance you wouldnt have any tumble drier washing machine etc on at the same time as the immersion is due to come on??

By any chance you wouldnt have any tumble drier washing machine etc on at the same time as the immersion is due to come on??

Nope there was no other applinces on at the time . There could be a good possibility its the element again could I check by isolationg power and disconnecting the element and turning back on power and if it doesnt trip then its that element ?

Nearly be thinking myself it could be a cumulative of leakage currents from several devices.

Only possibility is that element may be damaged on installation and now is showing the fault.
    I am just trying to figure out is if it is fed from seperate night rate meter or connected to main rcd in board and hence connected to all circuits

Only way op will find out if the element is faulty would be to megger the element while its still in place.

it would be on a common rcd including sockets..either single or dual tarriff

electric water heating wouldn't be on a separate NSH meter

i suppose if it works on one of the heater elements then the other is probably faulty

you can't be certain by disconnecting the heater that the heater is the cause of the problem...

Nope there was no other applinces on at the time . There could be a good possibility its the element again could I check by isolationg power and disconnecting the element and turning back on power and if it doesnt trip then its that element ?

Before you disconnect it completely, power the circuit down and remove the element cover and look just in case a cable core got trapped and the insulation is damaged.

it would be on a common rcd including sockets..either single or dual tarriff

electric water heating wouldn't be on a separate NSH meter

i suppose if it works on one of the heater elements then the other is probably faulty

you can't be certain by disconnecting the heater that the heater is the cause of the problem...

Thanks for that i worked in industrial so my domestic commercial experience wouldnt be the best (hangs his head in shame lol)

Thanks for that i worked in industrial so my domestic commercial experience wouldnt be the best (hangs his head in shame lol)

no bother
    didn't mean to appear condescending with the last comment re disconnecting heater

was directed to op

• Advertisement

no bother
    didn't mean to appear condescending with the last comment re disconnecting heater

was directed to op

Haha your grand there is a reason im unemployed im not a very good electrician:pac:

Before you disconnect it completely, power the circuit down and remove the element cover and look just in case a cable core got trapped and the insulation is damaged.

Sound will do that tomo eve when I get home . Its when ever the timer or the switch is turned on everything is juat tripped out. Its the same problem as previous the original problem. Thanks for the help

Sound will do that tomo eve when I get home . Its when ever the timer or the switch is turned on everything is juat tripped out. Its the same problem as previous the original problem. Thanks for the help

The cables look ok and I couldnt find the problem but now the most recent problem is that everything in the kitchen is tripping the rcd . The dishwasher / microwave etc

The cables look ok and I couldnt find the problem but now the most recent problem is that everything in the kitchen is tripping the rcd . The dishwasher / microwave etc

Advertisement