Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Architect

Options
  • 14-08-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I've had an architect around to look at a kitchen renovation and a 200sqft extension to the rear of the house. The Kitchen renovation involves knocking an internal wall into the dining room to make it more open planned. No planning permission is required as its under the 42sqm

The figure the architect has quoted is €2,250 which includes Working drawings, 3D image (not really very important), Schedule of rates, tendering of builders and site inspections.

I thought this was a lot but must admit I don't know a lot about this sort of thing. I only really want somebody to draw up working drawings so that I can show builders and get prices myself.

I would like to get quotes from different architects but it cost me €120 already just to have this architect out once already. Will it cost me each time I get an architect to come and have a look?

Thanks
    JP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

kingjp1st wrote: »
    Hi,

I've had an architect around to look at a kitchen renovation and a 200sqft extension to the rear of the house. The Kitchen renovation involves knocking an internal wall into the dining room to make it more open planned. No planning permission is required as its under the 42sqm

The figure the architect has quoted is €2,250 which includes Working drawings, 3D image (not really very important), Schedule of rates, tendering of builders and site inspections.

I thought this was a lot but must admit I don't know a lot about this sort of thing. I only really want somebody to draw up working drawings so that I can show builders and get prices myself.

I would like to get quotes from different architects but it cost me €120 already just to have this architect out once already. Will it cost me each time I get an architect to come and have a look?

Thanks
    JP

i would not class it as alot for the full service but shop around if you wish to compare. you should be able to get quotes over the phone for what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kingjp1st

I actually read the quotation wrong. The cost is over €7500. This is way outside what I wanted to spend for getting plans drawn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

Are you involving an engineer in the process?

If the design you want is architecturally simple then consider hiring an engineer to draw it and put it out to tender. His prices should be more reasonable and if you're having to pay for him already should be slightly mitigated.

If however you want an architectural masterpiece you'll more than likely need an architect.

But that sounds like waaaaayyyyyy too much money to spend on the project. The original quote to me seemed on the high side for what you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

kingjp1st wrote: »
    I actually read the quotation wrong. The cost is over €7500. This is way outside what I wanted to spend for getting plans drawn up.

Where are you based?

Seems excessive to me. I'm paying about half of that for a 300 sq/m new build.

I'm in NI but i cant imagine there should be such a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I just finished an extension of the same size the client used an engineer, who included drawings, site visits, tendering of work and the cert.
    No charge for a chat and total cost was 1,500 so I would agree way too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Arc solutions

That is an expensive quote for the proposed project. He or she just did not want to do the job, in my opinion. 3,000 -4,000 would sound a more realisable price for a full service, there is a lot of work involved, it's not just throwing down a quick sketch and walking away. Do considered the value of the property if you employ a qualified architect over an engineer and remember you will be living in the house for a long time to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Where would one find an engineer? Need a small job done that doesn't really warrant an architect, but all the same I want it done professionally. Have gone the builder only route in the past and boy did I learn a lesson.

Advertisement