Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tides

Options
  • 14-08-2014 11:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

I Don't even know if this is the right forum or not.

I have a silly question on tides -- so you have a high tide and low tide. And it can be 1 ft or 20 ft etc.

My question is : where normally is the tide measured from , is it measured from a point 50 metres away from the edge of the shore or something else entirely ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

croo wrote: »

Thanks, but I still cant see how far off shore the tides are measured........

Way off shore or only 50 metres off shore etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I that's a bit of "How long is a piece of string" question.

In the second link you can see were all the gauges in the Irish National network actually are - so you see they've not actually placed a uniformed distance from "the edge of the shore" ... Where is the edge of the shore anyway? When you consider that the sea is reshaping the coastline all the time.

If you are thinking of putting up a guage or board or your own then I think you'd place it someplace where the low tide is marked but the highest recorded tide is still on your board.

PS. I map I was looking at was at http://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsdata/data/IMOS/IMOSTides.htm
    there you can zoom in to see exactly where they're placed.

Advertisement