Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is doing interviews over the phone or through skype

Options
  • 14-08-2014 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if one is granted a permanent migration visa is it possible to apply for jobs and do interviews over the phone or through skype so that they have a job attained before they make the move to aus? It would just cut the cost big time if I had a job to go into going over

Also if this isnt the case how savings should I have behind e going over, take into account I have no dependants and free rent until I find me feet with a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know lots of people who've gotten jobs before going over without setting foot on the continent.

Typically it's technology companies who'll be more open to it, but I do know people who've been referred into jobs by their current employer in Ireland, and been given the job after a couple of phone interviews with the new one in Aus.

If you're going over without, then I would be inclined to say you should have enough saved to live on for 3 months, but also have the cost of flying home set aside somewhere that you never touch it. If you reach the end of 3 months without success, you'll still have the pennies there to get you home. In the more likely event that you do find work, then you have a nice wedge of cash there to get yourself set up with a rent deposit, furniture, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I did a phone interview for a job in Australia. Got the job and sponsorship over the phone. It is definitely doable, but I guess its a case of being in the right place at the right time and having a skillset that is not readily available in Australia.

Seamus is right, its typically IT jobs and companies that will offer such opportunities.

If you have free rent you are laughing, that is the biggest expenditure around these parts. My suggestion would be not to go on the beer until you secure work. I would budget around $150 per week for food (Maybe more if you eat out regularly) and around $50 - $70 per week for transportation costs to and from interviews.

Around $300 a week should do, so maybe 3-4k for a couple of months until you get work.

Also, bring your laptop with you if you have one.

Advertisement