Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent late, tenants not communicating.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

well i pay my rent on time so i dont have to worry about it ;)

Good to hear haha but you should still take the time to know your rights in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

well i pay my rent on time so i dont have to worry about it ;)

If for any reason you can't then you don't have to worry about being evicted illegally or having a landlord calling to the door at ll hours or letting themselves in whenever they want as you are protected by the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If for any reason you can't then you don't have to worry about being evicted illegally or having a landlord calling to the door at ll hours or letting themselves in whenever they want as you are protected by the law.

if for any reason i couldnt afford to pay id do the decent thing and get onto the acutioneer and explain my situation not fair having decent people with a mortgage to pay for hanging on either ive a newborn baby in the house and end up on the street :O but thanks anyway nice to know theres a law to protect me but id rather hand in my notice than have someone waiting to pay there mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Op tell your friend to get on the PRTB website print out the templates and follow all the steps as per the law.
    I had a non paying tenant who just stopped paying it took me a few months to get them out I won my case and it is now going to court.
    The advice on "door stepping " the tenants is bad in my opinion as depending on the type of tenant this could be seen as a threat or form of intimidation and could easily result in a beating for your friend depending on how the tenant takes it and who he is also if the Gardai are called I could easily see them siding with the tenant as it's their HOME.
    Things are very bad for landlords at the moment if you are unlucky enough to get a delinquent tenant.
    Make sure to register all letters sent to the tenant and follow the PRTB instructions to the letter.
    In my case I got the Tenants out although my house was a total disgrace and needed a lot of work and I went down the best part of 3 months rent also I was lucky enough to get the governments part as the couple were on rent allowance at the time.
    To top it all off I found bank statements where the tenants were spending approx €500-€600 per month on online gambling and not paying their rent this was tax payers money as the couple were on non contributory benefits ! I reported this to the local Social Welfare office who told me they were not interested ! A good use of tax payers money I thought.
    Your friends needs to have a good bit of a fight in him if this turns out like one of the MANY scumbag tenants who are abusing the system at present as it's not easy to be paying a mortgage while a piece of filth lives for free in your house and basically laughs out the window at you as the law is on their side mainly.
    I console myself with the fact that I am determined to follow this to the bitter end and get my day in court(most people brought to court by the PRTB don't even turn up to the circuit court date ) but I will spend a few quid that will go against my tax bill and get my judgment then get them black listed and get the sherif to call to where they are living :-) but that is probably another year away.
    It's not easy being a landlord and it's not for everybody but my experience just made me more determined to succeed and I recently bought my 4th house that I am preparing to get rented out.
    Good luck.

Advertisement