Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renegotiate with seller?

Options
  • 14-08-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

So I've gone sale agreed on a property in the last month's with a closing date coming up soon.

The seller had initially offered to repair certain things that were flagged up in my surveyors report namely plumbing issues. But following discussions with his solicitor he decided to withdraw that offer. This was a pretty frustrating but I suppose within his rights.

Now, I decided to have a plumber come in and give me a quote on repair work so I had no surprises once contacts were signed. Turns out the plumbing work (needs a completely new water cylinder etc.) will cost me upwards of a grand.

Is there any point in me contacting the seller to discuss whether he'd reconsider contributing to some of these necessary repairs that he was aware needed doing?
    Or is this just a case of caveat emptor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedPandaDan

Has anything been signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

No nothing signed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Brego888 wrote: »
    No nothing signed yet.

in that case the seller is under no obligation to offer anything.

All you can do is offer to pay what you feel the house is worth in the existing condition.

The seller may 1) agree 2) put the house back on the market.

As for trusting a seller to complete work such as plumbing before selling the house ... I would never stipulate something like this in my offer to buy. The work may cost a professional a grand to do; however a mate of the seller in the pub and a few family members could ham-fist a solution for the price of a couple of beers and you would be left with the aftermath.

Well that the thing, I don't really want to risk him putting it back on the market or really renegotiate the selling price per se.
    Just that there might be some way to discuss him covering some of the considerable repairs that he initially said he would cover?

I'm guessing the answer I'm going to get here is "tough luck" but I just need to be sure I'm doing now the right things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Brego888 wrote: »
    Well that the thing, I don't really want to risk him putting it back on the market or really renegotiate the selling price per se.
    Just that there might be some way to discuss him covering some of the considerable repairs that he initially said he would cover?

I'm guessing the answer I'm going to get here is "tough luck" but I just need to be sure I'm doing now the right things.

It'll all boil down to location and how long it's been on the market.
    If it's mayo and been on the market for 3 years I'd be renegotiating with him.
    If it's dublin and been on the market 2 weeks well then I'd be taking it as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Would either of you really walk away from a substantially agreed sale for €1,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Marcusm wrote: »
    Would either of you really walk away from a substantially agreed sale for €1,000?

I didn't read that part......although if its been on the market for three years (I have no idea if it has or not) Id be tempted to see if I could shake down the seller for a little bit more.
    Now if he told me flat out no and I was happy buying the house, of course id continue with the transaction, but no harm in asking.
    If you don't ask, you don't get:cool:

Marcusm wrote: »

No I certainly wouldn't walk away from it. But as the poster above says if you don't ask you don't get so I suppose I'll just put it to the vendor.

Advertisement