Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False myths about home alarm systems

Options
  • 14-08-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm buying a house in Dublin and, after hearing some disturbing stories about robberies, I would have a couple of doubts:

- is it true that thieves can disable virtually any alarm system?

- is it true that gardai won't bother coming around, if someone rings them that a robbery is taking place in the next house as they speak?

- is it true that dogs are a very good deterrent for thieves (e.g. "they robbed 7 houses in the same road, but they didn't rob the only one where they had a dog")

- if you try to defend yourself during a robbery, you'll be brought to court and are likely to face charges (not sure what level of defense is deemed appropriate)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ro_bilco

- Probably (I remember my folks alarm breaking - Ringing the company, giving the model number of the Alarm and from memory the guy in the company gave a 12 digit number that turned the alarm off) .... Will let others confirm if this is the case

- Ah that was probably close to shift change time

- Yes - You need to make your home less attractive to break into than your neighbours

Mod Edit.

Text removed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

robnet77 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm buying a house in Dublin and, after hearing some disturbing stories about robberies, I would have a couple of doubts:

- is it true that gardai won't bother coming around, if someone rings them that a robbery is taking place in the next house as they speak?

- is it true that dogs are a very good deterrent for thieves (e.g. "they robbed 7 houses in the same road, but they didn't rob the only one where they had a dog")

- if you try to defend yourself during a robbery, you'll be brought to court and are likely to face charges (not sure what level of defense is deemed appropriate)

Thanks in advance!

There is a huge alarm company currently flogging a system which can indeed be bypassed by someone who knows what they are doing.
    This industry is probably like a lot of others we have quite a lot of chancers and gangsters working for and running their own business' s.

Personally speaking I hate people who ring with the question ' how much is an alarm?'. People generally do not educate themselves as to what it is that are purchasing and from whom.
    Bottom line is you get what you pay for and guess what, the less you pay then the greater the chance of someone tech savy bypassing your alarm system.

If someone rings the Gardai to report a crime in progress, then they will certainly respond and probably rapidly also.

Dogs are a deterrent but can be fed poisoned meat if you have a determined intruder.

That law was changed recently, you can tackle an intruder, I would suggest however that you pose that question either in the emergency services forum or the legal lads.

I would also advise you not to be listening to that guy in the pub that thinks he knows everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads.
    As per the charter there is no legal advice given here and no talk of shooting guns here either please.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

thanks for your replies, I take it I'll need to stay in paranoid mode as a result...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,023 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My folks have never had an alarm, but always had dogs.

Haven't been burgled in the 30 years they've lived in their home. The current dog would go absolutely mental if someone tried to gain access around the back.

I don't have a dog but do have an alarm. So we'll see how that works out! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

My neighbours house was broken into earlier in the year, in a Semi D with a shared wall, his alarm box backs on to my hallway so I can tell you:

On the neighbours alarm they thumped the metal box up above the alarm and pulled out 2 wires, the alarm was only sounding for 10 seconds max.

I rang the Gardaí twice whilst the robbers were in there, they showed up about an hour later.

Heard a story that a gang were picked up in Dublin and they had a list of houses, all those with a dog had a specific mark against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

Staplor wrote: »
    My neighbours house was broken into earlier in the year, in a Semi D with a shared wall, his alarm box backs on to my hallway so I can tell you:

On the neighbours alarm they thumped the metal box up above the alarm and pulled out 2 wires, the alarm was only sounding for 10 seconds max.

thanks.

Are there any workarounds to this?

like... installing an additional wireless system to the wired one in place, or using multiple "metal boxes"?

How long does it take for an alarm to send a text/email to the owner, in case they try to disable it?

Advertisement