Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper test

Options
  • 14-08-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi another camper test question .
    Just done my test and was charged 116 euro.Was told this included 25 euro government levy.Is this correct don't remember hearing about this before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I read somewhere that camper vans were exempt from this extra charge, I was charged last November for it in Ford garage in Cork. Will be heading back there soon and would like to know also. Best advice would be to contact CRVT

http://www.cvrt.ie/en/Certificate-of-roadworthiness/Pages/default.aspx

Actually it clearly staes it on the website

http://www.cvrt.ie/en/Test-Bookings/Pages/Motor-Caravans.aspx

​Motor caravans with two axles - ​Test fee including CRW = €76.86 plus VAT @ 23%
    ​Motor caravans with three or more axles - ​Test fee including CRW = €94.58 plus VAT @ 23%

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Ok got through to RSA and they say test center made a mistake and put my van through as a commercial vehicle hence 25 euro charge.RSA say there is a levy on campers at 8 euro.

ahh I see, they don't specify anywhere that I can see how much the levy actually is for any type of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

defike wrote: »
    Ok got through to RSA and they say test center made a mistake and put my van through as a commercial vehicle hence 25 euro charge.RSA say there is a levy on campers at 8 euro.

There is no levy on motor caravans, to total to be paid is €94.54 inc. VAT

Also, it's important to remember that motor caravans while they are tested at commercial vehicle test centres are, like cars, only due their first test at four years old and then two year certs until they are ten years old and after that yearly certs.

I was recently informed of a six year old camper only being given a one year cert. A complaint to the RSA sorted it, they said the person at the test centre must have pushed the wrong button by mistake and it generated a one year cert, so watch out.
    The vehicle in question is mis-categorised on its Registration Cert (RF101) as an N1 which is a goods vehicle so maybe that was the reason for the one year cert being generated. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

niloc1951 wrote: »
    There is no levy on motor caravans, to total to be paid is €94.54 inc. VAT

Also, it's important to remember that motor caravans while they are tested at commercial vehicle test centres are, like cars, only due their first test at four years old and then two year certs until they are ten years old and after that yearly certs.

I was recently informed of a six year old camper only being given a one year cert. A complaint to the RSA sorted it, they said the person at the test centre must have pushed the wrong button by mistake and it generated a one year cert, so watch out.
    The vehicle in question is mis-categorised on its Registration Cert (RF101) as an N1 which is a goods vehicle so maybe that was the reason for the one year cert being generated. :mad:

After a load of phone calls and a couple of emails I got my 2 year cert and a vague promise that it wouldn't be n1 in the system next time. I have my doubts. I paid 116 for my test.

moodrater wrote: »
    After a load of phone calls and a couple of emails I got my 2 year cert and a vague promise that it wouldn't be n1 in the system next time. I have my doubts. I paid 116 for my test.

Two axles axle at the back I assume :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

My test cost 116euro but was refunded 20euro because of their mistake.

Reports would indicate that there are two things which a person needs to know before taking a motorhome for a test.

The correct charge applicable

€76.86 plus VAT = single rear axle
    €94.58 plus VAT = two rear axles.

The correct length of cert applicable

Vehicles less than 10 years old = 2 years
    Vehicles over 10 years old = 1 year.

It's unfortunate but true that some of test centres appear not to have read up on the motor caravan specific rules and apply the goods vehicle rules in error.

Advertisement