Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Connected Alarm for E-Mail/Text Alerts without Monthly Charge

Options
  • 14-08-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to buy an Alarm System for my house (a new build).

I don't want to go down the Monitored route as I don't want a monthly charge.

Does a connector exist for Alarm systems that allows connection to my own home internet and allows me to configure text or e-mail alerts - But without incurring a monthly charge?

Speaking to Alarm installers I see there is a:

1) HKC system that allows configuration though an App and provides notifications via HKC with a monthly fee of (currently) 4.99

2) A Siemens SPC4320 control panel, that connects to my LAN, and allows remote arm/disarm the system through an App (but provides no notification capabilities)

Does anyone know of another system that provides what I am looking for?
    A once-off installation with notifications I can control and not pay a subscription for?

Thanks,
    Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

ro_bilco wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm currently trying to buy an Alarm System for my house (a new build).

I don't want to go down the Monitored route as I don't want a monthly charge.

Does a connector exist for Alarm systems that allows connection to my own home internet and allows me to configure text or e-mail alerts - But without incurring a monthly charge?

Speaking to Alarm installers I see there is a:

1) HKC system that allows configuration though an App and provides notifications via HKC with a monthly fee of (currently) 4.99

2) A Siemens SPC4320 control panel, that connects to my LAN, and allows remote arm/disarm the system through an App (but provides no notification capabilities)

Does anyone know of another system that provides what I am looking for?
    A once-off installation with notifications I can control and not pay a subscription for?

Thanks,
    Ro

Why not install either system and install a GSM. This will allow you remote access plus selt monitoring of the system. You can use a ready to go sim. Please note depending on provider of the sim you will need to top it up every 5-6 Months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ro_bilco

altor wrote: »
    Why not install either system and install a GSM. This will allow you remote access plus selt monitoring of the system. You can use a ready to go sim. Please note depending on provider of the sim you will need to top it up every 5-6 Months.

GSM = SIM Card = Monthly Charge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

No need to be smart, it was an option.
    From what your asking there is no free service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Please let us know if you find a mobile/ broadband/ landline provider who provides a free service.

I don't imagine that I'd find a Text Service for free.
    Since routers can be configured to send e-mail notifications, I imagine the e-mail option should be possible.

I hear Siemens have a SPC4320 Device that can be remotely controlled via an App
    Apparently there is an update coming where (push) notifications will be sent to that App also (due for release in the coming months)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

pay the fiver a month or whatever.

It's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Since routers can be configured to send e-mail notifications, I imagine the e-mail option should be possible.

Apparently there is an update coming where (push) notifications will be sent to that App also (due for release in the coming months)

The Risco systems will send you free push notifications and emails. No monthly fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've heard that to, I have this system I'm happy with it, I still have a sim card though, and will keep it too as another way to connect to the panel.

I did hear that Siemans have decided to send notifications, but when I'm away you cant beat texts IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 15 golu

For SPC an option is to use my SPC Web Gateway and become your own Alarm Central. This way you can send push notifications by mail, Growl or NMA. Please see lundix.se/smarta-losningar

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Costs me 10 euro every 6 months both at home and abroad for a PAYG sim in each alarm small price to pay for peace of mind.

• Advertisement

OK - I've done a lot of searching and talking to Alarm companies

The system I want is the Risco LightSys2 ... That has an App with free notifications and settings that connects to your own home internet

Thanks all

Risco, fine Israeli company.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

kub wrote: »
    Risco, fine Israeli company.

Keep it for the politics forum please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

The system I want is the Risco LightSys2 ... That has an App with free notifications and settings that connects to your own home internet

Thanks all
    Best of luck with the Risco. does an alarm come in as an email or does the app make a bit more noise? i just find that an sms is a bit more reliable than email, eg if abroad or in a weak signal area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

deandean wrote: »
    Best of luck with the Risco. does an alarm come in as an email or does the app make a bit more noise? i just find that an sms is a bit more reliable than email, eg if abroad or in a weak signal area.

There's a push notification and email alert.

I do agree though. If in poor 3g area it will be a problem but nearly all forms of transmission has vunulabilities. Ideally you'd have more than one transmission path to avoid that scenario.

The bottom line here I suppose is, you pay for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

yes well said KUB seem they all want champagne on beer money come ask the experts then not take the best advise given. The best option in my advise that works when your broadband doesn't and your not in a 3G coverage is by a country mile is the HKC SC/GPRS sends push notifications and text messages . But its only your house and family and all your stuff so maybe €60 a year is to much to pay !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I had the same dilemma and bought this alarm set from Ebay:

http://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Security/alarmkits/Globalguard/Pages/default.aspx

Unit plugs in to your router and wirelessly talks to the control panel. All very simple and working well so far. Send an email when a sensor is tripped and tells you which sensor it was.

Also flags if the mains has been removed and will run off battery backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Pauley2

I too need remote management and alert capabilities and ideally would like the alarm to make use of whatever local WiFi network it can reach.

The Honeywell/Friedland looks good insofar as the software features and free notifications go but I need/want to integrate into existing hard wiring and it seems to fall short there (only 4 zones, no provision for EOL selection etc). I think I need something more "professional".

Siemens SPC isn't a go for me without that update mentioned (and while it can connect to the internet, it can't make use of WiFi). I have experience working with its pre-decessor (Europlex/SigNet) over GSM and that was far too slow and frustrating to use for remote management.

That leaves the "Risco". Even if I have to run ethernet to it, the "Risco", with it's free notifications and mobile app sounds like what I need, but there's no Irish distributor listed on their website.

Anyone know of one?

Pauley2 wrote: »
    I too need remote management and alert capabilities and ideally would like the alarm to make use of whatever local WiFi network it can reach.

The Honeywell/Friedland looks good insofar as the software features and free notifications go but I need/want to integrate into existing hard wiring and it seems to fall short there (only 4 zones, no provision for EOL selection etc). I think I need something more "professional".

Siemens SPC isn't a go for me without that update mentioned (and while it can connect to the internet, it can't make use of WiFi). I have experience working with its pre-decessor (Europlex/SigNet) over GSM and that was far too slow and frustrating to use for remote management.

That leaves the "Risco". Even if I have to run ethernet to it, the "Risco", with it's free notifications and mobile app sounds like what I need, but there's no Irish distributor listed on their website.

Anyone know of one?

I've got quotes from DeeJay Royale, Crothers and M & J Security for the Risco system.

It was a non-standard system for them, but they were all able to quote when asked specifically for that system.

I've not yet picked an installer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

They only downside I have found with Risco is that if you have any issues with the app/cloud server you cannot call for tech support.
    The HKC secure comm is only a €5-€7 per month.Im currently paying €10 for the meteor data sim. HKC cover all this for the monthly fee.I dont want to use the Risco Ip card as the system is useless if the power goes down. The securecomm also gives you a leg to stand on as you are paying for a service and you can complain to HKC if that service is not met. Ive to find out with Risco who gets the blame if I dont get notified of an actual break in since its a free service due to a fault on Riscos end.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

I would have to say I disagree when it comes to the reliability of texts for etiher alerts or remote access of any system.
    Texts can be sitting in a message centre for quite a while at times, especially across networks or when roaming internationally.
    Only the other day I was working an a system for a lad who had a GSM . The alert too 2 minutes to arrive & the return text to disarm was no better. If your alarm goes off at busy times like Xmas day or new years you havn't a hope. Email with push notifications would be more reliable in my view.

Advertisement