Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions needed

Options
  • 14-08-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'd appreciate some opinions/advice on this house that I went to view last weekend. I don't know too much about Bray apart from what the Auctioneer was telling us. This house is exactly what we're looking for in terms of size and location as I am working in a nearby hospital.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/old-connaught-ave-bray-wicklow/2462718

Do you think 425k represents value? There have been a number of IMO worse properties that have sold for the same and even more on this road. I think I will have to decide very quickly as there was a large number of people at the viewing and the Auctioneer was saying that several other couples wanting to view the house this week. I'm looking for as many opinions as possible and they'd be hugely appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Personally no I wouldn't buy it. I find Bray a nightmare for traffic and you are right beside cois cairn an estate which is mainly council and used to be quite rough. I've family in cois cairn and from what I've heard it's quietened down considerably but still it would raise a red flag for me.

The only way you could know is by driving up there and having a walk about. Both during the day and at night. It'll give you a feel for the place.

Presuming you're working in loughlinstown hospital have you had a look at houses in the corbawn lane or foxes grove areas in shankill or wyattville in loughlinstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Duvetdays wrote: »
    Personally no I wouldn't buy it. I find Bray a nightmare for traffic and you are right beside cois cairn an estate which is mainly council and used to be quite rough. I've family in cois cairn and from what I've heard it's quietened down considerably but still it would raise a red flag for me.

The only way you could know is by driving up there and having a walk about. Both during the day and at night. It'll give you a feel for the place.

Presuming you're working in loughlinstown hospital have you had a look at houses in the corbawn lane or foxes grove areas in shankill or wyattville in loughlinstown.

Yes I'm working in loughlinstown but I have been advised to stick well clear of loughlinstown because of its proximity to Ballybrack and the large amount of anti social behavior around there. I don't know how I feel about Shankill, looked a lot of houses in the area but many were over priced IMO and the auctioneer at the time told me there was lot of value to be had in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Oh I'm so sorry op but close on half a million for that!!?? If that's the price and choice that people have in the east then move to the country now. Ah no, that's not feasible at all but what kind of a country do we have when you could a fabulous house in the midlands for the same price or less even? Such a vast difference across what is essentially a very small country.

Have you looked at this one http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/100-churchview-road-killiney-south-county-dublin/2828340

Close to work, nice area, right beside kilbogget park, decent pub is 10min walk away, there's a good primary school 5min walk away (can't comment on seconadry schools) and on the 7 bus route for the city centre etc.

Oh I'm so sorry op but close on half a million for that!!?? If that's the price and choice that people have in the east then move to the country now. Ah no, that's not feasible at all but what kind of a country do we have when you could a fabulous house in the midlands for the same price or less even? Such a vast difference across what is essentially a very small country.

It's a five minute drive from where I work and less than that for where I plan to send my kids to secondary school though. It's 4 bedrooms and quite spacious inside aswell as plenty of opportunity to do a decent job on the garden.

• Advertisement

Have you looked at this one http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/100-churchview-road-killiney-south-county-dublin/2828340

Close to work, nice area, right beside kilbogget park, decent pub is 10min walk away, there's a good primary school 5min walk away (can't comment on seconadry schools) and on the 7 bus route for the city centre etc.

Thanks for your help. That house looks good, I'm going to look into viewing that one.

What's the budget? Does it have to be 4 bed?

What's the budget? Does it have to be 4 bed?

450 k would be the max considering we would like to put a decent amount of money into any house we buy. Yes we are ideally in the market for a 4 bed as we have twins and hopefully another child within the next 18 months. I was just talking to a resident of Old Connaught and they told me Cois Cairn was relatively ok now but it's the traveller site that's the problem now, I didn't even know there was a halting site in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Bray is great - but not so much that area, I agree with the earlier posters.

I have lived in Bray and Shankill over the last couple of years and I have to say I love it out this way. I prefer Shankill though, it is quieter and that bit closer to town.
    Plus you have the park with a beach that is quiet and beautiful. Brady's local pub is excellent and there are plenty of local shops with great produce, and also you have the DART.

For Bray, I would recommend going out a couple of weekends and getting a feel for the place. It's a big place and really does have some great character and places too.
    Stop for a pint in Duff's pub on the main street or pop into the Mermaid Arts Centre - excellent spots!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/47a-wyattville-park-dun-laoghaire-loughlinstown-dublin-18/2881152

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/8-beechwood-lawn-killiney-dublin/2864209

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/rockbrook-1-the-nurseries-ballybrack-dublin-south/2776932

There's another 3 within budget and location to work all houses would be on 45a bus route for kids going to school in Bray. Location wise my favourites would be either the first link I posted earlier or the beechwood lawn one. Wyattville is not the part of Loughlinstown your work colleagues warned you about but it would be the last choice for me for the area personally. It's a nice estate but the others are in a far better location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Are you aware that in general, in every real estate market in the world, regardless of how big or small the market is, there is a difference in prices between urban and rural areas?

You see you tend to get less land and less square footage in urban areas where there are jobs and therefore lots of people want to live there. If you live in the midlands, where there are few jobs or prospects outside of farming or working for the government, you can get a big house for less money because there is little competition.

Maybe father ted can explain it better...

TEd1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

jackal wrote: »
    Are you aware that in general, in every real estate market in the world, regardless of how big or small the market is, there is a difference in prices between urban and rural areas?

You see you tend to get less land and less square footage in urban areas where there are jobs and therefore lots of people want to live there. If you live in the midlands, where there are few jobs or prospects outside of farming or working for the government, you can get a big house for less money because there is little competition.

Maybe father ted can explain it better...

TEd1.jpg

There are urban areas outside the pale too

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

There are urban areas outside the pale too

Where do I mention Dublin?

Advertisement