Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooster rescue?? Dublin

• 14-08-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All,

There's a rooster wandering around the Industrial Estate where i work (in Dublin, right by the M50) I cant imagine where it may have come from but I'm feeling a bit bad for the guy. he will very likely be knocked down where he is.
    Is there anyone I can get in touch with? I called the DSPCA who said that they cannot come out unless I catch it first. If I tried that, Id prob end up accidentally hurting him rather than helping.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

People think nothing of dumping surplus cockerals :mad: They buy some cute chicks, or breed them, and discover they have too many cockerals :mad:

To catch him, put some food down - break some bread up into small pieces - lots of them, so that he will be busy for a minute. You approach him slowly and quietly, Hopefully he will be so busy eating, this will work - put your hands on each side underneath his belly, 'trapping' his wings with your arms. Or you can just scoop him up with 1 arm underneath, and the other hand use across his back to hold his wings down. Have a box ready, and put something on top to prevent him getting out.

Watch out for spurs on his legs and his claws - sharp! His peck wont hurt (just a surprise!). The trick is to get him into your arms, pinning his wings! DONT hold him by the legs upside-down! Once you get him into a box, and its dark he will quieten. Then you can call the DSPCA - or bring him there. Good luck & well done trying to rescue him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

We had this issue last summer. We used a dog crate to catch him in the end. It is quite difficult to catch them.

The DSPCA do not rehome Cockerals. They PTS. I know this because I asked for their help. We were lucky in that one of the Staff in Dublin Zoo was looking for a Cockeral for their hens.

Advertisement