Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbally Paths

• 14-08-2014 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the path below in red actually exists and is suitable for running? Thanks

318391.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You can run that route, well most of it anyway.

I often use the red walk (the section that leads from the bridge beside St Munchin's College down to the Corbally baths is called the red walk) as the second half of one of my set runs, but I tend to go down the red walk, past the baths and continue onto the Mill road and then head back in the main Corbally road and swing out across Thomond bridge.

Be careful on the red walk though as it can be quite slippy in places depending on the weather.

The second half of your map can also be run, but I don't know if anything has changed with regards to land ownership for a chunk of it. It used to be a so so stretch to run on though but have not been along the second half in a number of years so maybe somone else on here will be able to help you out as to what it is like now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Was only out there last week and went the whole way on your red route.
    Many parts of it are overgrown with the usual weeds and the Japanese knot-weed has really taken hold out there.
    From the railway track to Grove Island roundabout is good ground and someone had cut the grass on that path a couple of days before I was there.

You could run without a problem, but if might be slippery in parts - as Kess pointed out and you might get a bit damp running through leaves in places, and perhaps it may be better to do it in the daylight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's interesting. I was told that some of the pathway just west of the Mill Rd, near the boat huts, had fallen away. Though I had been thinking of doing it as a walk with my (all-terrain) buggy and was advised that it would be too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

From the railway track to the mill road is very bad in parts, overgrown, uneven, parts missing.
    Grand for a walk/hike not great for running
    Also I have come across people in drug induced states in the part from the corbally road to the railway track, so take care.
    There are plenty better options between UL and Corbally

iguana wrote: »
    That's interesting. I was told that some of the pathway just west of the Mill Rd, near the boat huts, had fallen away. Though I had been thinking of doing it as a walk with my (all-terrain) buggy and was advised that it would be too dangerous.

It is interesting, you have two descriptions of the area now. Also the last post mentioned the poster encountered individuals in a drug induced state, so I reiterate my original point, perhaps it may be best to traverse this terrain in daylight hours. Could you bring the all-terrain parent powered vehicle on a recce? If so, get down there to discover conditions for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

I cycled it in September last year and it should be fine for running in summer during a dry period. You will have to be careful in a few spots incase your ankle goes on you. Its not a level path for running purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Out of curiosity does the path go over or under the railway track by the metal bridge ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Can you cycle from the Outdoor Gym in the Shannon Fields under Athlunkard Bridge towards the bottom of Mill Road?

You need to cross the Corbally Road at the pedestrian crossing at the top of the Irish Estates. You will go down steps onto the path then that will bring you to the bottom of the mill road

Out of curiosity does the path go over or under the railway track by the metal bridge ?

You have to cross the railway track, no over or under pass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Ran the whole trail today from Athlunkard Bridge to Grove Island.

On Athlunkard Bridge there is an old house kind of like a gate house. The path starts behind the house with a few steps down to the river. It is a proper pavement all the way to the top of the Mill Road. No issues for prams and the like.

From the top of the Mill Road you go down the laneway to the start of the next trail. From here to the tracks it is a rabbit trail and slightly overgrown. Lovely trail though and you feel a million miles from the city. Great view of Thomand Park across the Shannon. It's a bit surreal down there, you have to try it.

Then you meet the railway tracks and have to cross them, obviously be careful crossing. Trail from here is flat and wide. There is one small pothole that you could hurt yourself in but after that it's plain sailing all the way to Grove Island roundabout.

It was part of a 20 mile run for me today so I was a bit concerned about the state of the path, but it's absolutely fine for the sure footed.

Enjoy.

aMIf7aO.jpg

V6nW3qk.jpg

Good stuff, glad you did it and it was as described.

Advertisement