Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert

• 14-08-2014 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My daughter failed maths but got the rest of her requirements but Sadly now she won't get her course so she's decided to do a plc in the mean time repeat maths as a single subject ? How do she go about this? And who to contact? Will she have to re apple her cao or is it the same cao she'll use next to re apply for the course :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Missovoxo

Sorry to hear that I failed maths as well but luckily for me I did ucas and will be going to university thankfully. Her school would have given out forms around May time as a just in case. No it's a new CAO since she won't have an offer then she can't defer it or anything so it will be a new application. Some schools do allow this and some don't. The school I went to doesn't allow you take single subjects and you have to re-do the LC all over again. But contact the school and make sure that finance is sorted because I think you do have to pay for PLC courses. Good luck!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Depends on where she wants to do the PLC course, if she wants to do it in her local school, which is what I'm assuming then usually there is no need to go through the CAO, most schools run these courses on a application form type entry. Regarding the repeating of a single subject, yes it can be done, get onto your school and they will tell you when you how to go about it. Think it's about the first week in Sept that you have to have applied to repeat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She should apply as an external candidate in January to the SEC.
    http://www.examinations.ie

She may want to investigate night classes for Maths with her local ETB (VEC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ShellyGM wrote: »
    My daughter failed maths but got the rest of her requirements but Sadly now she won't get her course so she's decided to do a plc in the mean time repeat maths as a single subject ? How do she go about this? And who to contact? Will she have to re apple her cao or is it the same cao she'll use next to re apply for the course :)

She will have to reapply to the CAO next year. She will give next year's exam number so they will get her maths grade, and there is an option to say that she has a set of LC grades she wants counted for points. So she will fill in that she did LC in 2013 and give her exam number and her points will be used from this year.

She will also have a second option where she can tick the box on the CAO form to say she is doing a FETAC course (PLC). PLC courses attract up to a max of 400 points for the CAO and this can be used for college applications. it is treated as a separate set of results to Leaving Cert and they are not added together. Obviously if she got more than 400 this year then her PLC points won't matter.

She can register as an external candidate as outlined above and sit the exam in her old school. It would do no harm to call into the school as a courtesy and ask them about letting her sit the exam there. Also some centres offering PLC may also run some Leaving Cert subjects and she might be able to do it there.

In the meantime she should apply to view her script. She can get the form from her school. It's free to view papers and she will be allocated a time on the last weekend in August. She can see where she went wrong, where she lost marks and how far away she was from passing. On occasions there are errors on the paper so she can look for those. It's not widespread, but from a learning point of view, it's worth having a look at the paper.

Advertisement