Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

595 leaving cert student open to questions :)

• 14-08-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Just wanted to do my bit lots of students helped me on this when I needed it so I'd like to help people too :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi there! How many poets did you do for HL english and how to you memorise them? Did you do business by any chance either? Or chemistry? Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions! David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

What subjects did you do? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

d1234 wrote: »
    Hi there! How many poets did you do for HL english and how to you memorise them? Did you do business by any chance either? Or chemistry? Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions! David

Even thinking about heading into 6th year chemistry in a couple of weeks is making me nervous!
    Those titrations near killed me last year :(

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Even thinking about heading into 6th year chemistry in a couple of weeks is making me nervous!
    Those titrations near killed me last year :(
    Oh yeah and we started a bit of organic chemistry - fun times ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I was a 595 student back in 2013 and did chemistry. Take it from me, chemistry is extremely manageable! We covered nearly the whole chemistry course in about 6 weeks in one of my modules in college.. Just keep going over the exam papers! It's such a repetitive paper! With a bit of work a good grade is achievable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hey there . Not to the hijack the thread but I also scored quite high this year so hopefully I can help .
    I studied 4 poets inside out . Our teacher had us learning quotes all year . Her notes were also spot on . It's all about memorising the poems And more importantly understanding the concepts discussed in the poems .

Oh yeah and we started a bit of organic chemistry - fun times ahead!!

Organic chemistry in the LC is basic beyond belief...

woopah92 wrote: »
    I was a 595 student back in 2013 and did chemistry. Take it from me, chemistry is extremely manageable! We covered nearly the whole chemistry course in about 6 weeks in one of my modules in college.. Just keep going over the exam papers! It's such a repetitive paper! With a bit of work a good grade is achievable!

Oh :) those exam papers will be my life for the next year :pac:

Thanks for that info! I'm about half ways through the papers but need to start to learning things off at this stage. Just a few quick qs:

1. Any tips for learning off the anion tests (can never remember them)
    2. Were your answers long or short - i seem to have very short answers!
    3. What are the key things to know in org chem?

Thanks!

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Hey there . Not to the hijack the thread but I also scored quite high this year so hopefully I can help .
    I studied 4 poets inside out . Our teacher had us learning quotes all year . Her notes were also spot on . It's all about memorising the poems And more importantly understanding the concepts discussed in the poems .

Thanks for that info! Did you feel happy enough with four or would you say five? Also how long on average were your answers e.g. for poetry our teacher says 5 pages, essay (p1) 5 pages etc.? Any other tips?? Thanks a mill!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info! I'm about half ways through the papers !

I'll be touching base with you now and again for the next year, be warned :pac:

Will be recruiting plenty of highly motivated and emotionally stable people to help me along the "journey" :)

Thanks for that info! I'm about half ways through the papers but need to start to learning things off at this stage. Just a few quick qs:

1. Any tips for learning off the anion tests (can never remember them)
    2. Were your answers long or short - i seem to have very short answers!
    3. What are the key things to know in org chem?

Thanks!

1. I just learned it all off, I'm sure there's plenty of little trick you could use but I don't know any!

2. Mine were long, but that's mainly cause I was a chemistry nerd. A lot of chemistry questions will just require a few key words and definitions! So long as you have the key/important points it doesn't matter how long the answers are!

3. I'm not sure how in depth the LC chemistry course goes into organic. All the key stuff is what they ask in the exam papers.. Know those organic experiments too! Doesn't one of those always come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

Got 615, I could possibly help.

Thanks for that info! Did you feel happy enough with four or would you say five? Also how long on average were your answers e.g. for poetry our teacher says 5 pages, essay (p1) 5 pages etc.? Any other tips?? Thanks a mill!

I was a bit nervous with only 4 . Not too many people learn 5 fully .
    I am viewing my script to see what percent I got but I got an a in English .
    Your teacher is right . My poetry was at least 5 pages long with adequate quotation .

My essay was about 1000+ words .
    I chose something I was comfortable writing about . I had no essay learned for the day but I had practiced the ones in the papers .

I think structure was critical in achieving the A.
    I always used this sructure :
    Intro
    Topic sentence, paragraph , conclusion
    Ending

Most important bit of advice.
    Give your own opinion . I made my essay on p1 very topical because of the one I chose. I discussed everything topical in depth with my own opinion everywhere in my answer . I have a huge Interest in current affairs so the essay I picked suited me perfectly . Everyone is different . Write about what you know and what you like .

andymann wrote: »
    Got 615, I could possibly help.

Wow great result . Everyone with 580 -625 scored in the top 1% . It makes me feel so happy . All the hard work pays off.

Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I got 625 so if anyone has any questions I'm free to help too :)
    Congrats to all the posters here with such high points :)
    I did English Irish Maths Spanish Business Biology and Physics

I didn't rote learn a single essay or chunk of text, I also didn't make mind maps or stick to any rigid study timetable - to a certain extent do what feels right for you and not what happened to work for someone else, everyone learns in different ways :)
    For English, the A1 was highly unexpected and I thought the exam went terribly, so next June if you come out of an exam feeling that way, don't give up :) Also to answer a previous Q, I learned 3 poets in detail and 2 in a good enough detail to answer on. As for page length, it REALLY is about quality not quantity - I wrote 0.5 pages for unseen poetry, 2 pages for Macbeth, 3 pages for Comparative, 7(:o) for Poety and about 5 or 6 for the Composition, 1.5 for Section B and 1 page per Section A part

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

woopah92 wrote: »

Where do you go to college and what do you study?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I note a number of the 'high-pointers' saying they didn't learn off answers. I wish more people would pay attention to this.

Can I ask aleatorio et al, did you make your own notes?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I note a number of the 'high-pointers' saying they didn't learn off answers. I wish more people would pay attention to this.

Can I ask aleatorio et al, did you make your own notes?

I did indeed, flash cards and pages and pages of notes :o I didn't go to any of those revision courses or anything and my teachers were unfortunately less than helpful :pac:
    I'm currently in the process of scanning them to put on a tumblr site for next years lot :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

aleatorio wrote: »
    I did indeed, flash cards and pages and pages of notes :o I didn't go to any of those revision courses or anything and my teachers were unfortunately less than helpful :pac:
    I'm currently in the process of scanning them to put on a tumblr site for next years lot :)

Sounds like you did it 'old school' as it was in my day. You're all set for college now and won't be looking for sample college essays and sample theses. Good job.

spurious wrote: »
    Sounds like you did it 'old school' as it was in my day. You're all set for college now and won't be looking for sample college essays and sample theses. Good job.

I learn best from just writing things out repeatedly so I guess old school will always be the way for me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

Wow, go you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

aleatorio wrote: »
    I learn best from just writing things out repeatedly so I guess old school will always be the way for me :cool:

Exact same for me. I know everyone is different but writing things out is key to long term retention of info I think.

I know people who probably did more study than me but their "study" involved reading the book while listening to music. This is simply wasted time.

Then again, I got 600 flat not 625 so I'm part of the dumb half of boards LCers. :(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I did my Leaving Cert. in 2013 and got over 600 points. I think one of the main things is to maintain a balanced lifestyle. I did activities almost every day after school and then one morning at the weekend. It did take up time and I was tired but they were things that I loved doing, I got exercise, and I got to take time out from studying and homework. Try to get some form of exercise, even just a short walk after school. I know it's hard, but try to get enough sleep. Seriously! There's no point staying up really late.
    I used different notes for studying as I had older siblings. I didn't learn off essays for irish at all. Instead, I learned loads of different phrases and knew the stories and poems really well. I also knew vocabulary for different topics and had sentences for almost any topic that I would make sure to include.
    I didn't really do too much for English but got a high grade. I would advise learning your poets etc as you cover them in school. Make a note of themes, imagery, language etc and learn quotes. Try to include your personal views. Say why you liked a poet or why/how the poem spoke to you. Don't just learn off stock answers.
    For maths (higher level) I went through a chapter and just picked out the key things (formulas etc) and wrote them down. Then I did as many questions from a certain topic as possible.
    I don't know how I got an A1 in French seeing as we didn't even have a teacher for a good chunk of the course. I do have a flair for languages, but I had never been to France at all. I wanted to do an exchange but it didn't work out, so don't worry if you can't/haven't been to France. I just knew different sayings and idioms that I had found myself. On the day we hadn't done anything similar to the questions on the paper but I used any vocabulary that I knew and worked around it. Make it personal! Don't use stock sentences, work something personal into it even if you make it up.
    Biology: I learned from my teacher's notes which were good and then added my own notes in at the side. Try to understand it instead of learning it.
    Chemistry: learn your definitions off. Do exam papers. It's a very doable paper to be honest.
    Accounting: practice is key.

Hope this helps someone. I would advise you all to get some exercise, get enough sleep, and try not to stress too much. Try not to learn everything off by heart, understand the topic first! Find your way of learning be it by writing, by saying it aloud, by using flash cards/mind maps, or even by singing it. Make up rhymes, the sillier the better!
    Good luck to you all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Hi I completely learned 5 poets 3 of which came up. Got an A1 which was completely unexpected.. I did both business and chemistry. PM me any questions you have threads tend to get messy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

sotisme wrote: »
    What subjects did you do? Thanks

Irish ( B1 )
    English (A1)
    Maths (B2)
    Business (A1)
    Biology (A1)
    Chemistry (A1)
    German (A2)
    Music (B3)

All higher level :)