Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is now an OK time to get a MacBook Pro/iPad?

• 14-08-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm thinking of getting a MacBook and an iPad.

I'm a bit of a n00b so I'm asking if it's a good time. No new version of the MacBook/iPad on the horizon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

New MacBooks nope. New iPad is due in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

New MacBooks nope. New iPad is due in October.

Nice. I'm not too concerned with the iPad

Do you think it would be better to wait until the new version (of the iPad) comes out though?

I just want it for browsing, reading articles etc. Would the functionality be a problem on the current one if I downloaded newer apps after the October release of the new one

Also would there be a massive difference in price. Current iPad is €389

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The current up-to-date iPad (iPad Air) is 489 If you just want the above it will fill all your needs. The new one will be at this price point however when it is released and this one will drop in price, somewhat.

Thanks

Would a 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor be enough for programming in Swift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The MacRumors Buyer's Guide is normally a pretty good place to look to time purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

parc wrote: »
    Would a 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor be enough for programming in Swift?
    Pretty much any Mac running a recent OSX version should be enough for that.

Thanks leeroybrown. Do you think it's an ok time to get one?

Edit: just checked out your link. Website says Buy Now for the Retina MacBook Pro so I guess it's good - release date July 2014

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah now is a good time to get a MBP, unless you want to wait for the Broadwell chips in the new year. Last update was pretty minor.

Apple are expected to announce a retina 12-inch MacBook Air in October as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Apple are expected to announce a retina 12-inch MacBook Air in October as well.

As a ballpark what would we be expecting the price of the new 12" to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

parc wrote: »

I would be more concerned about RAM, you'll want at least 8GB for any kind of professional use (eg. video editing, photoshop, Xcode, etc) - go for 16GB if you can afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    As a ballpark what would we be expecting the price of the new 12" to be?

Hard to say. Probably just under the 13-inch MBP. Or possibly a lot more at first.

Advertisement