Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DN511 -

Options
  • 14-08-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I'm taking DN511, English single honours this September. Is anyone else taking it?

Also, I'm trying to figure out the timetables - but I'm not doing very well at it! I thought that I could take Sociology too, but not it appears that I can't - which has confused me.
    I'm in such a muddle now that I don't even know how many credits I'm expected to take in year 1!
    Anyone help?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You have to take 60 credits in year 1, usually 30 in semester 1 and 30 in semester 2. Each module is worth 5 credits (though this can change in 2nd year).
    You have to take 4 English modules and one humanities module. This leaves you with 3 modules in Semester 1 and 4 in Semester 2. The humanities modules is only offered in Semester 1.

Due to a clash of modules two Sociology modules are not available to you, one in semester 1 and one in semester 2. Introduction to Sociology in Sem 1 and Sociology in Practice in Sem 2 should be ok. If you take these modules you will only have to fill 2 slots in Semester 1 and 3 in Semester 2. Take a look at some of the other arts subjects and see if there is anything of interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Writergirl24

~Thank you Maldesu - that's what I thought only then I thought maybe I was getting all jumbled. Mostly disappointed though. Was really looking forward to Sociology.
    I was under the impression that Foundations of Sociology was compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

None of the sociology modules are compulsory (Core Modules). You can still take two of them. Even if it was core, it would only be a core subject to the Sociology student. As you are in DN511, it wouldn't matter to you. You only have to worry about English Core modules.

Advertisement