Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company won't cover

• 14-08-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭

My puppy has a spinal problem and the insurance company won't cover it as its within the 1st year of the policy.

They classed it as a degenerative condition and degenerative conditions aren't covered within that time frame.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

pipster wrote: »
    My puppy has a spinal problem and the insurance company won't cover it as its within the 1st year of the policy.

They classed it as a degenerative condition and degenerative conditions aren't covered within that time frame.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Have never heard of this, who are you insured with?

Im with Allianz, my guy got straight cover on the day the policy started, with the exception of a pre existing condition of course.

when did you find out about the condition and was it before or after your got the polciy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Does it say that in their terms and conditions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭pipster

We got the policy when we got him as he is a pug and thought he could have breathing issues down the line.
    After a few weeks we noticed him being wobbly on his back legs so brought him to the vet. The vet diagnosed him with a compressed vertebrae and a dislocating knee so he would need an MRI (1200-1500 euro) and an operation (2000 euro).

I called <snip> and they said that it would be covered but after 3 weeks of going back and forth with the paper work they declined the claim saying they don't cover degenerative conditions in the 1st 12 months of the policy.

I queried the conflicting info and they said dogs can have degenerative problems any time in their life so its not that its always excluded.

Its obviously very upsetting as the little guy fall all over the place and now can walk outside because he cuts his feet as he drags them. He's not in pain (as long as we don't walk him on concrete) and if he got really bad I wouldn't put him through pain but I would love to get the operation as its treatable but so expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Are you with <snip> OP?

Yes it says it in the T&Cs so I don't think I'll have any luck with a claim. My partner bought the policy and I spoke to them about it so I thought it was ok.

• Advertisement

Its not in Allianz's T & C's anyway that i can see. Ill have a look at the other one.

Ok, just read their conditions, unfortunately it is in there so i dont think you will get anywhere with this one.

andreac wrote: »
    Ok, just read their conditions, unfortunately it is in there so i dont think you will get anywhere with this one.

Allianz would cover this you said?

I didnt realise there would be such a difference in insurance companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

yeah allianz are pretty good at covering everything (except pre existing conditions)... :o

I didnt see anything about degenerative in ALlianz, but i would prob need to read them again, but you wouldnt be covered anyway if you switched as its classed as a pre-exisiting condition. So anything your dog has already suffered with/from wouldnt be covered if you switched companies.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    I didnt see anything about degenerative in ALlianz, but i would prob need to read them again, but you wouldnt be covered anyway if you switched as its classed as a pre-exisiting condition. So anything your dog has already suffered with/from wouldnt be covered if you switched companies.

Oh I know that I can't switch over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PetInsure discussion not allowed guys, sorry.

(This thread was escalated to the admins, apologies to the mods).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement