Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grade appeal question

• 14-08-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest, if somebody were to appeal a grade in the LC (or even the JC) can they drop a grade or two as well as go up?

Eg. If somebody gets a B2 in Physics, and they decide to get that appealed, and the correcter finds marks that were given by mistake, can they deduct them and potentially knock the grade down to a B3 and so on?

Or are the SEC so sound as to not do such a thing?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

Yes they can downgrade your grade but it's very unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just out of interest, if somebody were to appeal a grade in the LC (or even the JC) can they drop a grade or two as well as go up?

Eg. If somebody gets a B2 in Physics, and they decide to get that appealed, and the correcter finds marks that were given by mistake, can they deduct them and potentially knock the grade down to a B3 and so on?

Or are the SEC so sound as to not do such a thing?:D
    Technically, it can happen, but it happens very very seldom. That's why it's a good idea to get an experienced marker to look at your scripts with you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

It can happen but someone posted yesterday that only three people were downgraded in rechecks. I don't know their source for that information but I'd say it's extremely rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

That gives me a bit of peace of mind. I know this sounds like a very stupid question to ask, but do rechecks cost money, or are they free? I've heard someone say that you pay money which is returned in the event of your grade being changed, but not if your original grade sticks. Any truth to this?

That gives me a bit of peace of mind. I know this sounds like a very stupid question to ask, but do rechecks cost money, or are they free? I've heard someone say that you pay money which is returned in the event of your grade being changed, but not if your original grade sticks. Any truth to this?

€40 per paper. You get it back if you get upgraded, you lose it if your grade stays the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

robman60 wrote: »
    €40 per paper. You get it back if you get upgraded, you lose it if your grade stays the same.

€40?:eek: I would have thought something closer to €20 to be more reasonable. Thanks for the info

€40?:eek: I would have thought something closer to €20 to be more reasonable. Thanks for the info

Just to avoid any confusion, it's €40 per subject. As in maths would cost €40 totally as opposed to €80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

robman60 wrote: »
    It can happen but someone posted yesterday that only three people were downgraded in rechecks. I don't know their source for that information but I'd say it's extremely rare.

Source:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1009/479226-leaving-cert-education/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Costs add up quickly. Cost of transporting papers back from your school to Athlone. Cost of getting those papers to the examiner. Cost of getting them from the examiner back to Athlone. All of this has to be registered post, so they don't get lost. Then there's paying the examiner to correct your paper again. And whatever admin costs go with the appeal.

It adds up quickly. But as was said, if your grade changes you get your money back.

To be fair, aside from the costs outlined above, if it was free the whole country would be sending their papers back for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Important to look at the script first. If you are just above a grade and could easily go down, don't do it. Someone on 41% is more likely to drop a greed than move up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Look at your paper first. Why would appeal a paper you were 4% off getting an upgrade and you can't see a mistake in the marking scheme?You aren't going to go up . I was 2 marks off am A2 in maths and for upgraded.

Advertisement