Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daughter going to college

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

So what right did I have to ask my parents for college money? ... or what right does anyone who comes from a loving home?

Who is making it about rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Who is making it about rights?

It's an expression... am sure you've made one in your life and am sure you knew it was an expression when I said it ;)

but to reply to taka,
    when I have kids I wish to put them through college. would gladly splash out 20 grand on them. Own flesh and blood like. Of course I would :)
    But I write this as a man without kids who admits my parents did so much for me already. I never wanted to take their money. Wanted to earn my own, you know. Fund my own way in life. They've given me so much.

But can I ask a question? ... why the fuck are people quoting and disagreeing with me? :confused:
    My parents already did so much for me and I just like someone in the same situation (loving home, looked after etc) shouldn't ask money for college....

What are you's... a bunch of freeloaders? Like tap your parents for a few bob rather than taking out a loan or working and saving?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

Seeing as I know someone who has, I do.

Well in my experience you are definitely the exception to the rule!

Any concrete arguments to back up the realism apart from "in my experience" arguments and washy hypotheses?.

What can I go on other than my experience, and the fact that I spent fifteen years between law and investment banking and very, very rarely encountered someone with an IT education? Do you want me to conduct some kind of survey to satisfy you, and reassure you that an IT education isn't inferior to an Oxbridge education?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

OP

I went to college in NUIG and like your daughter I had a working class background.

Galway is a great city to study in and college is more than money. It is making connections and friends for life.

It is difficult to comprehend if you have not been through it the difference it makes in your life. I worked bars part time and she should have no problem finding a job. That's college and a lot of people work part time.

12 Grand is nothing compared to the advantages it will give her in life and as a person. You will never regret a penny of it.

Also- re the debate re ITs and University, I have worked in Big 4 Accountancy Firms and one of the best tax Managers I know did accounting in DIT. People genuinely don't give a crap where you went to college. They judge you on how you do your job and at the top level everyone has professional qualifications and shares that background which is more recent and trumps college. (I have three now)

I now work as a solicitor and unfortunately its a LOT more snobbish, though I don't know why. Firms tend to hire people from the universities. UCD and Trinity were popular but by far the most people on my intake when I was training in the Law Society was Galway as they are much more rounded individuals I believe as they get more than an academic focused education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I spent fifteen years between law and investment banking and very, very rarely encountered someone with an IT education
    Do (m)any ITs even do law degrees? Makes it a bit of a moot point if they don't. It's extremely old fashioned and network-driven area in comparison to just about any other area anyway.
    Less certain about investment banking, but I think it's another one that's a lot more down to who you know than most.

Not saying that EVERYTHING isn't heavily influenced by your network though, just that those are ones where it's definitely a bit more of a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What can I go on other than my experience, and the fact that I spent fifteen years between law and investment banking and very, very rarely encountered someone with an IT education? Do you want me to conduct some kind of survey to satisfy you, and reassure you that an IT education isn't inferior to an Oxbridge education?

Do you think you might be a little obsessed with this topic, you are going to have to accept not every one wants to work in banking or law, everyone knows that both Oxford and Cambridge are among the best universities in the wold and going to them will enhance a career, however the vast majority of people are not going to do that they are going to have more prosaic careers and shock horror!!! they will go on to lead productive lives and in some cases end up earning a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

If your daughter has decided she only wants to Galway for whatever reason and is completely set on that I think it will be very hard to sway her.

But expecting you to stump up €12k a year just so she can have the craic? Insanity!

If I were you OP I'd let her go but only the condition that she pays some of the fee herself and doesn't expect you to support her the whole way through.

If she wants to spend her college life partying and dossing her way through the year then she has to be the one to come up with the cash to do it.

She's an adult now, it's time she learned the value of money and how to stand on her own two feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if she's only going for the craic, then a conversation will be needed with the girl.
    if she's going for the craic and will study and come out with a great result and something to show for x amount of years there, then the conversation should include encouraging ger to get a part time job to fund her expenses/save towards next year's costs.

on the uni versus it debate - it's a pity more people don't study in ITs. am never too impressed with the quality of some uni grads.
    but at the end of the day it comes down to individual people, and if uni makes a person look down on everyone else, then there's a waste of money there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

jake66 wrote: »
    Our daughter got her leaving results yesterday. She did well but is going to be short of points for her first choice course.
    All of her courses are for NUI Galway and GMIT.
    She wouldn,t have enough for NUI Galway.
    My problem is that as we are in Kildare with plenty of colleges around us, should she be going to Galway?? This will cost about 12 grand per year for 4 years. There is absolutely nothing wrong with GMIT but she could go to Carlow IT or one of the Dublin IT,s which would save us about 2-3 grand a year.
    We are lucky as we are both working and have some money "boxed off" and will find enough for her to get through.
    I know she is going to Galway for the college life and the craic and I don,t want to begrudge her that.
    I have said nothing to my wife about this or my daughter as I didn,t want to spoil her day, but should I suggest that she do a PLC or get some sort of employment for a year and reapply next year for somewhere closer to home..
    I know I sound like a real tight arse here but we are working class people and this girl thinks we are loaded and she doesn,t have much regard for money.
    Any suggestions please...

Be glad she wants to go to college/ university. Its something she will use for the rest of her life. As comparing it to a PLC course you can't. Think what it will be like for her without a college qualification the road can be very rough even for thoses with all the qualifications in finding work.

Remember you can't bring your money with you and your children will be your legacy.... no trailer on a hearse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Started a college fund for both my kids within a few weeks of them being born - set up a DD every month. There's already quite a bit in our eldest's now that she's 7. Sometimes me and the OH joke about raiding it and going on a 4-week safari in Africa.
    But, a third level education is only going to become more expensive and more important in the future. Ireland is not, and will never be a manufacturing powerhouse. Our future economy will be based around selling services to the rest of the world and encouraging foreign multi-national companies to establish here in order to do so.
    I was lucky enough to have parents who could afford to put me through college, it's something I'm eternally grateful for as it's given me the means to make my own way in the world. I want to be in the position to be able to do the same for my kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Have a look at what they pay in the states and youll probably be happy to pay the 12 a year for a return of an average of 50k a year for life job Job hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm lucky that my parents started putting money aside for each of us when we were born, in order to provide us with a good education.

All seven of us were given the opportunity to study whatever course we wanted, in whichever college we wanted (within Ireland.) We're from a small town with only one third-level institution, so it was understood that most of us would be moving away for our studies.

Our parents covered all college costs, rent, bills, etc, along with a minimal amount of spending money. We were expected to work holidays and weekends, when possible.

I myself dropped out of my first college course. That was fine, but I took a year out and worked for a year to fund my next course - the deal was that they'd cover the cost of one course, but after that, we were (understandably!) on our own.

I think it's a little bit sad that, if you have the money there put aside for it anyways, you'd deprive your daughter of the chance to study the course that she has her heart set on. It's certainly not a "right", it's not something she's "entitled" to. But, I have a seven-month-old son. I don't have the money spare to set aside for his third level education just yet - I do hope my circumstances will change over the years, but there's no guarantee.

If I had a savings fund big enough to give him the education he wants and deserves - hell yeah, I'd be spending every penny of it on the college course that he chose - and I wouldn't resent or begrudge a penny of it! I brought him into this world, it's up to me to bring him up well and set him up for life as best I can.

Of course I don't think it's a bad thing when parents are financially unable to provide this sort of support for their children. It's completely understandable. But, when the money is there, and earmarked specifically for her education ... why would you even consider denying her the opportunity? And it would just be cruel to do so now that the results are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JBRowan

that what grants are for

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

ted1 wrote: »
    i would question your figures.

2750 registration = 2750
    350 a month rent (9 months) = 3150
    100 a month bills elec and heat= 900
    food 60 a week *36 = 2160

that's only 8960.

Dead right. No books or any other stuff like that needed. Clothing etc doesn't have to be paid for when in college. He won't want to see hos daughter either til next summer so no travel costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JBRowan wrote: »
    that what grants are for

If they qualify

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

DIT have a generic student budget here. The cost is approximately 11000

http://www.dit.ie/campuslife/studentsupport/costoflivingguide/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jake66

But that point is basically irrelevant here. From what I understand of the OP's situation they were perfectly happy to tell their daughter that they'd pay for her fees in Galway, but now that it's coming to crunch time they've decided they can't afford it. Whatever your position is on parents paying/not paying fees etc., it's simply not fair that he allowed her to believe that they'd pay for her fees when in reality they can't.

I think you might have got me wrong there, We can afford it. I have no problem making sacrifices to fund her first choice course which is zoology/marine zoology. I think this is about 430/450 points. NUI Galway is one of the few universities doing this. We discussed the points with our daughter and she felt that 450 wasn,t going to be a problem. She was doing well in school and studying hard so all was well. We still havn,t spoken to her about this, we know she is disappointed/upset, so we,ll give it a few days to sink in. Her other choices are science related and as far as I know are available in all the IT,s, so it doesn,t have to be Galway.
    I wouldn,t dream of her going to college without our support, but having said that I already gave her €900 to book her accomodation in Galway but the cash still hasn,t left her a/c.
    So all in all I,m a bit pissed off.
    Sorry if I,m rambling here but I,m working nights this week and I,m grumpy as fcuk..

Do (m)any ITs even do law degrees? Makes it a bit of a moot point if they don't. It's extremely old fashioned and network-driven area in comparison to just about any other area anyway.
    Less certain about investment banking, but I think it's another one that's a lot more down to who you know than most.

Not saying that EVERYTHING isn't heavily influenced by your network though, just that those are ones where it's definitely a bit more of a deal.

Yes, most do law degrees and commerce/business degrees.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Do you think you might be a little obsessed with this topic, you are going to have to accept not every one wants to work in banking or law, everyone knows that both Oxford and Cambridge are among the best universities in the wold and going to them will enhance a career, however the vast majority of people are not going to do that they are going to have more prosaic careers and shock horror!!! they will go on to lead productive lives and in some cases end up earning a lot of money.

I never stated that everyone wants a career in law/IB, and I also said I could only comment on the fields I have personal experience in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

JBRowan wrote: »
    that what grants are for

I'd hope to be in a financial position where my children won't be dependent on grants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I think you might have got me wrong there, We can afford it. I have no problem making sacrifices to fund her first choice course which is zoology/marine zoology. I think this is about 430/450 points. NUI Galway is one of the few universities doing this. We discussed the points with our daughter and she felt that 450 wasn,t going to be a problem. She was doing well in school and studying hard so all was well. We still havn,t spoken to her about this, we know she is disappointed/upset, so we,ll give it a few days to sink in. Her other choices are science related and as far as I know are available in all the IT,s, so it doesn,t have to be Galway.
    I wouldn,t dream of her going to college without our support, but having said that I already gave her €900 to book her accomodation in Galway but the cash still hasn,t left her a/c.
    Sorry if I,m rambling here but I,m working nights this week and I,m grumpy as fcuk..

But you should have done all this months ago and spoken about the back up plan, if your daughter gets her second choice and its in Galway then you are stuck. To be honest you must take some responsibility for this and said months ago to your daughter "yes if you get 1st choice I will delighted, but if you are putting down any generic choice courses then your top choice in that course must be Dublin." this is not your daughters fault its yours, in not taking control of the situation months ago, plenty of advice out there.

You're just not ready to let yout little girl go, isn't that it! Whatever the outcome, she MUST get her accomodation sorted ASAP. Deposits are refundable, so get that out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Our daughter got her leaving results yesterday. She did well but is going to be short of points for her first choice course.
    My problem is that as we are in Kildare with plenty of colleges around us, should she be going to Galway?? This will cost about 12 grand per year for 4 years. There is absolutely nothing wrong with GMIT but she could go to Carlow IT or one of the Dublin IT,s which would save us about 2-3 grand a year.
    We are lucky as we are both working and have some money "boxed off" and will find enough for her to get through.
    I know she is going to Galway for the college life and the craic and I don,t want to begrudge her that.
    I have said nothing to my wife about this or my daughter as I didn't want to spoil her day, but should I suggest that she do a PLC or get some sort of employment for a year and reapply next year for somewhere closer to home..
    I know I sound like a real tight arse here but we are working class people and this girl thinks we are loaded and she doesn't have much regard for money.

Well if you are willing to pay for her to go to Carlow IT or Dublin IT, then i would say to her to that if she wants to go to Galway, she needs to make up the extra 2-3 grand herself. However she chooses to make that money is up to her be it working for a year or working part-time at college.

This will very quickly teach her the value of money but also make her understand that she has to work to get what she wants in life. Also, it will greatly help her find a job once she qualifies as employers are very picky about previous work experience these days.

On a general note, i think it is ludicrous that any young adult would expect their parents to pay for them all the way through University. Kids should start start paying their own way in life as much as possible during their late teens with part-time jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dead right. No books or any other stuff like that needed. Clothing etc doesn't have to be paid for when in college. He won't want to see hos daughter either til next summer so no travel costs.

they will have those costs regardless, you don't need top buy books. you can use the library. that's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Ishmael wrote: »
    Well if you are willing to pay for her to go to Carlow IT or Dublin IT, then i would say to her to that if she wants to go to Galway, she needs to make up the extra 2-3 grand herself. However she chooses to make that money is up to her be it working for a year or working part-time at college.

T.

So she has what, a month to come up with the 2-3 grand herself?

A lot of people on here hear the word college and must be thinking that all courses consist of 3 hour days and weekends off. My course was 9-5 most days, exams and assignments due every other week, unpaid work placement Saturdays and during the holidays. I lived in freezing houses all through college because they were the cheapest.
    If parents make their kids scrape through with a mediocre qualification because they had to work all night in a bar after spending the day on an unpaid work placement well at least they can congratulate themselves on saving a few quid for themselves. I'd call that ludicrous myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Hi,

Regardless of whether or not you can afford it, this is the first real adult situation your daughter is experiencing.

Believe me, it will cost you a hell of a lot more than 12k. When she gets there, eats, drinks, has a haircut, loses her phone, bus ticket or purse.... even if she gets a part time job - it will be difficult for her to manage having money and being out on her own for the first time.

I think it's a great life lesson and she will in time gain her independance but it's gonna cost YOU.

I don't mean to sound rude but if you can afford it and your happy to pay for it - you need to just be ok with it.

If you can't or don't want to fork out 12k (which I think is fair enough - she can do another course or should have got a part time job and saved to contribute) thats fair enough too.

I think its more important that you are happy with whatever happens because its your cash and your decision.

I don't think its right for someone to decide they want to do a course in another county that's gonna cost that amount of money and expect their parents to pay when there are affordable courses closer to home but thats teenagers for you and it seems that you have agreed to this already.

I suppose the reality is that if we could all afford to send our sprogs to the best colleges and fund their time there so they didn't have to work and they could focus on study - it would be ideal like in American movies!

The truth is though its Ireland 2014 - you cannot afford this, you cannot afford to buy her a home when she gets married... she needs to strart learning the value of money like all teenagers so that she will be ok in adulthood so set the groud rules now,

If she buys a dress, shes eating beans for the week ... you can't jump to her aid everytime she calls with a problem, giving 12k a year to her in order to allow her fulfil her dream is generous enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I have said nothing to my wife about this or my daughter as I didn,t want to spoil her day, but should I suggest that she do a PLC or get some sort of employment for a year and reapply next year for somewhere closer to home..
    I know I sound like a real tight arse here but we are working class people and this girl thinks we are loaded and she doesn,t have much regard for money.

Send her to college with the money to cover rent and college fees. Any money for drinking she should be earning herself with a part time job at the weekend.
    And continuing on to do the rest of her years is dependant on her doing well in 1st year and not just scraping by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just pay for her fees and digs. Let her raid the kitchen presses before she goes. If she wants any spending money she has to earn it herself. What has she been doing all summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm in a similar position. My parents are working class from Dublin and I'm in my second year of college in Galway. Living costs are a hell of a lot lower in Galway than in Dublin, plus rents are lower. College is a time to grow up and get used to living alone, if I was in Dublin I wouldn't have gained a hell of a lot of life experience.

You're being pretty unfair on her, you've essentially said "she didn't get the points for her first choice so why should I pay for her to go?". Give her a chance, she'll more than likely surprise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Feisar

I worked as a barman through college and paid for everything myself. Worked my ass off during the summer saving to cover fees etc and worked 20 hours at the weekend during the year with a top up at Xmas. It used to cost me about €200 a week including rent to live. That's excluding entrance fees, books etc. I was in college in Dublin and one year was paying €400 in rent to share a room with a mate of mine and then bills on top of that.
    This was during the boom, people cannot rely on getting a part time job these days. Though people with a strong work ethic usually find work.

First they came for the socialists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Depends on one thing. This is whether she expects or aspires to go to college. If we learned to weed out those who expect to go but have no aspiration to study a chosen subject outside"my friend studies it" then we will significantly improve the quality of our graduates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Feisar

On the IT thing I went to DIT, admittedly for quantity surveying and the DIT course is recognized as the best place to do it but aside from that after a few years people look at one's experience and what one has done rather than where one went to college or what degree one got, hons etc.

First they came for the socialists...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭numnumcake

--LOS-- wrote: »
    How does a person pay rent, college fees, living expenses etc on their own? I went to college at 17, my parents paid for nothing, it was a nightmare and it really put me at a disadvantage. At 17, you're still a child, if someone chooses to bring kids into the world they should expect to be able to provide for their kids including education.

Totally agree with this. Fair enough if your parent expect you to pay for your own socialising and clothes through a part time job etc. But there's no way a 17 or 18 year old would have enough money to pay for fees and accommodation if they don't get a grant. They are under enough pressure as it is doing their leaving cert and trying to pass exams in college, the last thing they need is to be worrying about money as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

numnumcake wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. Fair enough if your parent expect you to pay for your own socialising and clothes through a part time job etc. But there's no way a 17 or 18 year old would have enough money to pay for fees and accommodation if they don't get a grant. They are under enough pressure as it is doing their leaving cert and trying to pass exams in college, the last thing they need is to be worrying about money as well!

Yeah, see that's fairly important.

I didn't qualify for the grant. I did a very full on course that had extremely long hours and a lot of work outside. I worked during the summer and saved as much as I could. Because of my parents' income I didn't qualify for a grant. If they had chosen not to support me, I would have been worse off than the kids from less-well off families because they didn't have the stress of registration fees and they got a grant on top of that. I couldn't have afforded college, simple as. Yet even if my parents were outright refusing to help me, I still couldn't have gotten a grant.

She's your daughter, if she doesn't qualify for a grant it's because of your income levels. Unless you're from outside the EU, here's a fairly realistic breakdown of costs that would allow for a reasonably comfortable standard of living and for college supplies & photocopying:

Reg Fee: €2500
    Rent (€300 x 9): €2700
    Heat, Elec & Internet (€75 per month average): €675
    Food (€40/week x 9 months): €1560
    Stationary, books, supplies & additional fees: €600

Total: €8035.

If she gets a job working, say, 15 hours per week at minimum wage, take out exam and christmas periods, call it 7 months work, she can earn about €3500 of that. So, if you want to pay roughly what you'd be paying if she was in Dublin, tell her you'll pay her reg fee and her rent. The rest is up to her.

Still, the more you support her in meeting the costs she needs to incur the better she'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm so glad that my parents didn't take type approach OP. My LC didn't go well and I ended up only getting my 10th choice. They were disappointed for me but still supported me when that choice meant that I had to move out instead of commute.

FYI not getting my first choice was the best thing that happened to me and got me my dream job. My first choice wouldn't have given me the same opportunities. Don't give up on your daughter because she didn't get her top choice.

@JonKelleher I'm started out as an Arts student in NUIM and transferred into a fairly new and unestablished law degree and my friend did law in WIT. Both of us have contracts with a Top 5 law firm so clearly our education is plenty worthy. Despite common belief they aren't entirely focused on where you studied.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Depends on one thing. This is whether she expects or aspires to go to college. If we learned to weed out those who expect to go but have no aspiration to study a chosen subject outside"my friend studies it" then we will significantly improve the quality of our graduates.

Couldn't agree more. It would probably get rid of some of the substandard institutions too; no demand.

I'm so glad that my parents didn't take type approach OP. My LC didn't go well and I ended up only getting my 10th choice. They were disappointed for me but still supported me when that choice meant that I had to move out instead of commute.

FYI not getting my first choice was the best thing that happened to me and got me my dream job. My first choice wouldn't have given me the same opportunities. Don't give up on your daughter because she didn't get her top choice.

@JonKelleher I'm started out as an Arts student in NUIM and transferred into a fairly new and unestablished law degree and my friend did law in WIT. Both of us have contracts with a Top 5 law firm so clearly our education is plenty worthy. Despite common belief they aren't entirely focused on where you studied.

And are you the exception to the rule? How many others in your intake/ Top 5 intake would you imagine came from an IT?

And are you the exception to the rule? How many others in your intake/ Top 5 intake would you imagine came from an IT?

I haven't started my intake but I can let you know once I do. I did come across a couple during the span of my internship and well as non-law graduates.

If I was allowed to conduct interviews for chemistry, biology and biochemistry I could find out who is going to college because they expected it and who was going because they aspired to it. I know that because I know the difference when I talk to people already in science. Conduct interviews and save the taxpayers and parents.

• Advertisement

You seem anti-IT. I did my degree in DIT and my boss has pretty much said that given the choice between a Trinity, UCD or DIT graduate, he'll pick the DIT graduate every time because the DIT course is simply BETTER. He's hired from all 3 before and has, time and time again, found the DIT graduates to be better performers.

I haven't started my intake but I can let you know once I do. I did come across a couple during the span of my internship and well as non-law graduates.

My son is starting with Top 5 in September, and he led me to believe that there was a strong bias towards Trinity/UCD and that there was very, very few candidates from ITs. I know that when I was applying to City firms (many years ago) there was certainly nobody from ITs, similarly scenario when I moved to IB.

You seem anti-IT. I did my degree in DIT and my boss has pretty much said that given the choice between a Trinity, UCD or DIT graduate, he'll pick the DIT graduate every time because the DIT course is simply BETTER. He's hired from all 3 before and has, time and time again, found the DIT graduates to be better performers.

What profession are you in? I am only speaking to professions/industries I have experience in - law, IB, MC and some niche finance areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

and this is exactly why there should be a loan system in place! Why the hell should parents be funding this?!

My son is starting with Top 5 in September, and he led me to believe that there was a strong bias towards Trinity/UCD and that there was very, very few candidates from ITs. I know that when I was applying to City firms (many years ago) there was certainly nobody from ITs, similarly scenario when I moved to IB.

I can't say I've seen that bias myself based on some of the intakes that I've worked with but then I didn't spend much time asking every trainee where they studied. In fact the only time that I can remember a bias was when there was a surprising amount of Galway students in the intern programme.

There's also the often ignored fact that some courses take in more students than others. If course your son would see less IT students. Their classes are tiny compared to the hundreds take in by Trinity or UCD.

What profession are you in? I am only speaking to professions/industries I have experience in - law, IB, MC and some niche finance areas.

I'm an Engineer in a consultancy.

If it's marine biology she's looking for then Galway is the best choice.

I'm an Engineer in a consultancy.

MC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've only read the OP so I'll respond to that. The PLC idea is good especially if what you're saying is correct. Heading off to college with the sole intention of partying is leading to a downfall. A year in the real world will do her the world of good. Whether thats a PLC, some volunteer work, even fecking off for a year to "find herself" / ie. party:D. 12 months older and wiser she'll be a lot more suited to committing to the course she intends to do.
    The 2nd year of any college course in Ireland is littered with the empty seats of 1st years party animals.

MC?

I'm guessing no, given that I don't know what you're referring to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement