Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do if you think a company might be going bust?

Options
  • 14-08-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭

I've heard rumours that a company I have bought a high value item from is going out of business. It's a semi medical device for someone in the family, doesn't keep them alive or anything but it makes life livable. The item requires yearly maintenance and occasional part replacement and as such we've bought a service and parts warranty for 3 years.

Lately we've been waiting to get a piece fixed but countless phonecalls have been met with "oh I'll have someone out tomorrow etc", then today I got a call from someone essentially inferring that something is wrong in the company and they've just heard today. It's not gone bust at this point but since morning the website has changed and on the phone the person I spoke to to ask what was happening was cagey, questions were met with long silences and choked replies of "I have not heard at this time" ,"I don't know at this time".

Is there anything I can do seeing as I've a feeling this is happening? I can't force an engineer out today or do any more in terms of pressuring phone staff.

This item is really really important to someone in my family, a replacement part will cost 1000 euro they don't have. Do we just wait and hope for the best ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Without going into to much detail of your relative condition but may I ask if they have a medical card? There are some machines that are provided to medical card holders and the maintance covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pay for anything further by credit card only, and try seek a replacement supplier of parts/maintenance. If they do go any previously paid fees will be unsecured debts realistically. How did you pay them for the service contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Miaireland wrote: »
    Without going into to much detail of your relative condition but may I ask if they have a medical card? There are some machines that are provided to medical card holders and the maintance covered?

They don't have a card, the machine was bought partially through a grant given on the basis of the condition but beyond buying it there's no help for what turns out to be a punishing amount of maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ideally, you would pay for everything by credit card and that will provide a certain amount of comfort.

In this case, I would contact the manufacturers and see what solution they can offer.

Advertisement