Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with plumber need advice

• 14-08-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Need advice please, got a plumber in to fit a gravity fed power shower, one of the pipes he used had a hole in it, water leaked from the pipe for approx 5 mins after installation before the leak was noticed, (leak noticed by me when fire alarm in kitchen went off as water was pouring out of it). The water was turned off and pipe replaced, that nite I noticed the carpet in the landing was soaking wet, I put blow heaters on it to dry it and next morning lifted the wet area of the carpet as it was still not dry, I informed the plumber and he came out to have a look at it the next day, it's now a week since the leak, underneath of the carpet is still damp and smells slightly, I've also noticed water damage on one of the bedroom doors and there are water stains on the kitchen and sitting room ceiling, the plumber was meant to come back but hasn't, I've already paid half the money for the job and would like advice as what to do next, am I entitled to a new carpet and what about the other damage caused? Could there be further unseen damage? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

As far as the carpet goes You do not need to replace it. At the most you'd need a carpet cleaner. The smell will most likely go away when fully dried out.
    Remember this can happen to anyone so this doesn't make him a cowboy. The way he behaves now will show if he is a cowboy or not. If he has insurance you can claim for this. If he doesn't you'll have to hope he comes back. Do you have his home address? If he is doing a cheap job & claiming the dole I think you're stuck.

No tradesman gets in my door without proof of insurance. I also like to see home address on any advertising, websites & business cards etc. A landline helps too. I'm amazed at the amount of people hire tradesmen with only a mobile number.

If I were him I'd take the loss on the job & get a painter in to paint the 2 ceilings & anywhere else water damaged. I am fully insured but would prefer not to claim for such a small thing. Sounds like a few hundred euro would sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Molly1978

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    As far as the carpet goes You do not need to replace it. At the most you'd need a carpet cleaner. The smell will most likely go away when fully dried out.
    Remember this can happen to anyone so this doesn't make him a cowboy. The way he behaves now will show if he is a cowboy or not. If he has insurance you can claim for this. If he doesn't you'll have to hope he comes back. Do you have his home address? If he is doing a cheap job & claiming the dole I think you're stuck.

No tradesman gets in my door without proof of insurance. I also like to see home address on any advertising, websites & business cards etc. A landline helps too. I'm amazed at the amount of people hire tradesmen with only a mobile number.

If I were him I'd take the loss on the job & get a painter in to paint the 2 ceilings & anywhere else water damaged. I am fully insured but would prefer not to claim for such a small thing. Sounds like a few hundred euro would sort it.

Have his home address and home phone number, sign on his van says registered plumbing and heating, he still needs to fit the cord for the shower, I wasn't annoyed over the leak as these things happen, just can't understand why he hasn't come bk when supposed to and as he's a local living in the same town I feel a bit stuck, thanks for the reply

You'll get an electrician to fit a pull cord €70/€80 if he doesn't come back
    If he is RGI then he has to have insurance. If you have his address then you can go to small claims. This will cost you €50 or less.
    Sorry I cant be more help. Hopefully he'll live up to his responsibilities. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Am I right here in saying the plumber cannot electrically connect this shower or pull cord as this is now restricted electrical works (a new shower) in a wet room

DGOBS wrote: »
    Am I right here in saying the plumber cannot electrically connect this shower or pull cord as this is now restricted electrical works (a new shower) in a wet room

He can't wire it to the fuse box. Only rec can work on the fuse box. If wiring is already done at the fuse box then he can replace a pull cord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

The carpet wont dry left fitted, roll it up for a little while, the floor and carpet will dry naturally, and both should be ok

Advertisement