Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

m/board and cpu upgrade?

• 14-08-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Howdy!

I currently have http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A88TMUSB3/ in my tower, and i would like to upgrade. My question being, is it worth just picking up a new processor and an extra 4gb RAM to give it some new life, or would I be better off getting a new m/board and cpu bundle?

Not looking to break the bank, just cant afford it right now. but my pc needs a new lease of life.

Its purely gonna be for some college work, light gaming etc....no insane overclocking or huge power required...

Any advice appreciated

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's the current CPU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

What's the current CPU?

AMD Athlon II x3 440 3Ghz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The motherboard supports Phenom X6s. But these aren't that easy to come by anymore.
    There's a few more Phenom II X4s around, but I don't think it's worth the upgrade looking at the prices of them online.

If you want to keep things on the cheap, then how about:
    1) Overclocking. You should be able to get 3.7-3.8GHz without too much effort.
    2) Getting an SSD. Even a smallish one for the OS can boost productivity incredibly.
    3) Reinstall windows, which is advisable with an SSD anyway.

You could carry an SSD over to a new system anyway if you want to upgrade in a year or two.

You mention light gaming... have you got a graphics card in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

literally just gave a fresh install of Win 7 x64 the other day.

gfx card is amd radeon hd5670.

I've never overclocked before tbh. I'm more than comfortable pulling pcs apart etc, but never looked at the overclocking route. SSD might be a good call too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Also, some of those X3s have cores which are switched off. A lot of the time they're unstable/need more voltage/won't support higher speeds, but now and again you can get a free core. There's settings in the BIOS menu which allow you to try and unlock.

Maybe a new midrange card so if you feel that you'd like more games. Something around the €100 like a 260X or 270X wouldn't be too mismatched with that system.

Overclocking isn't too hard. A 20% speed improvement to 3.6 wouldn't be too bad either. Just set your RAM to a lower speed, raise the HTT a bit, voltage a tiny bit if you detect instabilities and run stability tests. 3.6 should be very possible with minimal voltage change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement