Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Grill Festival Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

odyssey06 wrote: »
    But I think the tokens thing is a bit of a racket. I understand there might be some tax benefits to the organisers in terms of unspent tokens. But I find it awkward because you end up spending less or more than you intended unless you want to queue up a lot at token booths.
    I'd say it's more to do with keeping tabs on what each of the vendors are selling more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd say it's more to do with keeping tabs on what each of the vendors are selling more than anything else.

I'd say it's more to do with people buying more than they needed to, and no product leaving with that money spent.

For example, this year in the RDS I'm going to have a ridiculous situation with myself and my wife, needing to go and buy tokens each time we want a drink, because we've a 15 month old baby and there's no telling if/when we'll need to leave in a hurry - even if I buy €20 worth of tokens, I could end up with €10 of scrap paper in my pocket by the time I'm halfway home.

It's a stupid system and nobody can justify that.

Can someone answer - what is the minimum spend to buy "Smokin's", and are all products priced in multiples of this amount?

If not, then that is clear gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

They do the tokens thing at every beer festival Ive been to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Was it hipster heaven?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's a stupid system and nobody can justify that.
    At the RDS it's there at the licensee's insistence: you buy from them, not the festival organisers, the brewers or the RDS. The money has to be cut at least three ways and I don't see how else it could be done. Cash only really works in pub-yard-sized festivals where the organiser has minimal overheads, like Franciscan Well Easterfest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I came up from Carlow with my wife and 3 kids and left with quite the bitter taste in my mouth. I loved the idea of it I loved the smells and looks of the food on offer but the way that you had to pay for vouchers to buy the food was dumb. The guy who sold them to me told me you could only buy 20 euros worth and they were non-refundable so after seeing that a burger was 5 and ribs were 5 I said no way was I paying that for that food for 5 people after paying so much in.
    I ended up getting nothing so the kids could get something each, basically I was not going to spend 40 euros on vouchers if I was only going to eat about 25 - 30 euros worth of food.
    To be honest I'm not a miser but the portions were very small , my wife spent 5 on ribs and when she opened the box there was only 1 rib in it! I was slightly big but 1 rib seriously.
    I had a good look around spoke to some interesting chefs and brewers and some of the food and techniques were brilliant. The amount of posers and snobs at it were unreal and when I heard a mother asking her little son Milo if Harrisson and Tarquin wanted some pulled pork , that was enough for me.
    To me good layout , good vendors but felt they were having a laugh with the prices and entrance fee. Being a hipsters must be really expensive. I wouldnt bother again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you must bad mouth the festival leave the people who go to it and their choice of names out of it. seriously? you had enough of the festival because of someone's kids names?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I thought the crowd was lovely and varied. I'd read somewhere that it was great for kids so I was kind of dreading it being overrun with them but they were all so well behaved. It was a nice chilled out crowd. And we were sold a tenner worth of tokens (or whatever they were called) so 20 definitely wasn't the minimum.

The smallest book was €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

if you must bad mouth the festival leave the people who go to it and their choice of names out of it. seriously? you had enough of the festival because of someone's kids names?

Hes from Carlow in fairness. The first Back to the Future film is still in the cinema down there.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    The smallest book was €5.
    Thats a pity, the guy I bought from was quite clear that they were non-refundable and could only be bought in 20euros books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

odyssey06 wrote: »
    But I think the tokens thing is a bit of a racket. I understand there might be some tax benefits to the organisers in terms of unspent tokens. But I find it awkward because you end up spending less or more than you intended unless you want to queue up a lot at token booths.

It definitely is a great money spinner.

The books are in multiples of 5, while some items in there are 4 and 6 tokens. Must be 1000's in unspend tokens leaving the place.

It's a pity, as I said before i did enjoy and do like the set-up. If only they'd make some sort of effort to not leave their clientele feeling ripped off (even if its only a pint or a rib with the entrance fee), it'd be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know from being involved in music events that have bar/food/etc on a token system that there is generally 3-4 euro per person in unused tokens going out the door at the end, and you work that in to your overall costings.

I've seen as low as quarter tokens being used in some places with that system before to at least try allow vendors charge appropriately rather than be pegged to multiples of a token amount.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,302 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be honest, I thought the pricing inside was for the most part pretty OK, although it would have been more convenient not to have so much stuff priced at 6 or 7. A couple of places had stuff priced at 10 per portion, and that seemed a little out of kilter compared to everywhere else, but I didn't see their portions so they could have been huge for all I know. We did manage to spend all the tokens we had, but that was pure chance more than anything and it's easy to see how many people would have some left over at the end.

So the minimum spend in tokens was a fiver, and some things were priced 4, 6 or 7 tokens.

So what the hell does a person do with their 1 token change? Or three tokens change?

Can any apologist here, for there are many, please with any seriousness say that that there is not straight gouging?

That's robbery. Plain and simple stealing, forcing people either to buy more than they want, or to be left with unrefundable scraps of paper.

I also notice the majority of people defending the practices are people who got free or comp tickets, strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

So the minimum spend in tokens was a fiver, and some things were priced 4, 6 or 7 tokens.

So what the hell does a person do with their 1 token change? Or three tokens change?

We had a fiver left so I got 3 cookies for 2 and my husband got a tub of Nobu ice cream that he had wanted to try anyway for 3. That suited us but it would have been incredibly annoying if we hadn't found anything we wanted. At Taste we ended up spending more to use up our last few tokens on tiny scoops of ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Blut2

I think the tokens make sense for a lot of reasons - save stands from dealing with money, have an idea of how much custom the stands are getting, encourage people to spend more etc. But the fact you can't exchange them on the way out is inexcusable.

There should have been a couple of booths allowing people to give back their remaining tokens and get money back near the exit. This would take very little effort on the organisers' part. The fact that there isn't is pure greediness.

The attitude of "oh sure well its busy enough, why do they need to make changes" is real Celtic Tiger stuff. Its not the way to build a long lasting success, with happy repeat customers, in my opinion.

Blut2 wrote: »
    The attitude of "oh sure well its busy enough, why do they need to make changes" is real Celtic Tiger stuff. Its not the way to build a long lasting success, with happy repeat customers, in my opinion.
    Last year they sent out a survey after the event to gather feedback, and gave a free pair of tickets to the first 50 to respond. I'm assuming they'll be doing the same this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Taking the money for unspent tokens does seem a bit greedy... Money for nothing?

Even an unused tokens jar for charity or something.. Maybe they do donate the leftovers?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,302 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

symbolic wrote: »
    Even an unused tokens jar for charity or something

I'd say a lot of people would have no problem at all with that, at least they'd know there money was going to a good cause.
    symbolic wrote: »
    Maybe they do donate the leftovers?

I suspect we would have heard by now if they do because it would be good press for the organisers.

• Advertisement

Jesus lads, the minimum spend was a fiver, there were things on sale for 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 euros.

I didnt bring any tokens out with me, it wasnt difficult. The sense of entitlement from some fellas is unreal.

Looking forward to the moaning about the RDS festival from next week!

sense of entitlement

I don't think this means what you think it means tbh.

:rolleyes:

Glad to hear you are ok with the organisers basically stealing money off people, how much did you make from the event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Jesus lads, the minimum spend was a fiver, there were things on sale for 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 euros.

I didnt bring any tokens out with me, it wasnt difficult.

Yeah I spent mine, and would have got through more with all the beer on offer. I found it a perfect evening.

I was just thinking about people talking about the leftovers, and just felt it is a bit strange to take that money as profit, knowing people got nothing for it is all.

Maybe it's fair game? ☺I'm thinking morally here haha

I hope the entitlement thing is not aimed at me. Not quite sure what you mean by it.

stealing

lol
    I don't think this means what you think it means tbh.

how much did you make from the event?
    I was just a punter at the event. You 'accusing me' of making a profit like its a crime or something is gas though.

Anyway lads lesson learned, nobody is entitled to craft beer at a certain price, or food at a certain price, or entry at a certain price or to use cash with every vendor - at Big Grill or anywhere else. Also, like other festivals of this type, non-refundable vouchers are used which require some simple management to ensure you use them all.

See you next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Can any apologist here, for there are many, please with any seriousness say that that there is not straight gouging?

That's robbery. Plain and simple stealing, forcing people either to buy more than they want, or to be left with unrefundable scraps of paper.

I also notice the majority of people defending the practices are people who got free or comp tickets, strangely enough.

3 tokens = 1 half pint beer/1 corn on the cob/Ice Cream

There were other items that could be purchased with less than 5 tokens.

We left with one token between 3 adults, we could have planned it a bit better but it didn't bother me much. I thought there was a lovely vibe there and the guy giving out about Tarquin seems to me to have gone in there with a chip on his shoulder beforehand.

. I thought there was a lovely vibe there and the guy giving out about Tarquin seems to me to have gone in there with a chip on his shoulder beforehand.

I've kept out of the discussion as I did'nt want crap with people. To be honest , in retrospect , having a pop at snobby posers in the thread about the Big Grill was a bit off form for me as in fairness it is not relevant. But apart from that , can you explain where you got the impression that I had a chip on my shoulder beforehand?

I explained, I drove up from Carlow as this is something that I wanted to check out, with herself and the 3 kids , this is a fair 'oul trip and not something I would if I ever had a chip on my shoulder, I did'nt know about the competitions or groupon etc so I paid full whack.
    When I arrived , I asked someone about the smokins, I was told by the guy I could only buy 20 at a time, I was told you could not get a refund on unused. I'm not a fool and I wont be ripped off openly like that. If he had told me there was 5 euro denominations , that would be different.

I enjoyed the content and the set-up of the festival I really did, but just thought overall it was not very good value either from the entrance fee , to the way the voucher worked and also I thought the portions for the price were not worth the money. My opinion is'nt a reason to say I have a chip on my shoulder nor is it a reason to have a pop at Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

also I thought the portions for the price were not worth the money.

Thats the kicker for me. The whole point of BBQ is that its cheap cheap cheap. All the cuts of meat are the cheapest you can get.

A pork shoulder is 6 euro for example, non trade price. You could feed 25 people with that making smoked pork rolls. About 25c each*, not including the bread.

25 cent!

* ok with bread and coal and bbq sauce and rubs etc its a little more but still well under a euro.
    My opinion is'nt a reason to say I have a chip on my shoulder nor is it a reason to have a pop at Carlow.

That was me!! :)

Was only joking, Carlow is a lovely spot. I have very fond memories of vomiting outside the Foundry on New Years Eve before.

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats the kicker for me. The whole point of BBQ is that its cheap cheap cheap.
    BBQ platter for 2 is Asador is 60 quid. Dishes from the Tandoor in Kinara are 20-25 quid. BBQ plates in Barbacoa are 25-30 euro.

I dont know where you are getting the idea that this was supposed to be a festival of cheap food? Did you read it somewhere? Do you think they would attract the sort of crowd they do with cheap nasty grub?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats the kicker for me. The whole point of BBQ is that its cheap cheap cheap. All the cuts of meat are the cheapest you can get.

A pork shoulder is 6 euro for example, non trade price. You could feed 25 people with that making smoked pork rolls. About 25c each*, not including the bread.

25 cent!

* ok with bread and coal and bbq sauce and rubs etc its a little more but still well under a euro.
    That's a very simplistic view of things. How do you know what their overheads are? Staff, accommodation, taxes, insurances, consumables, etc., etc.

And even if you did know all those figures, in your opinion, what's an acceptable level of profit for someone that owns a business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've kept out of the discussion as I did'nt want crap with people. To be honest , in retrospect , having a pop at snobby posers in the thread about the Big Grill was a bit off form for me as in fairness it is not relevant. But apart from that , can you explain where you got the impression that I had a chip on my shoulder beforehand?

I explained, I drove up from Carlow as this is something that I wanted to check out, with herself and the 3 kids , this is a fair 'oul trip and not something I would if I ever had a chip on my shoulder, I did'nt know about the competitions or groupon etc so I paid full whack.
    When I arrived , I asked someone about the smokins, I was told by the guy I could only buy 20 at a time, I was told you could not get a refund on unused. I'm not a fool and I wont be ripped off openly like that. If he had told me there was 5 euro denominations , that would be different.

I enjoyed the content and the set-up of the festival I really did, but just thought overall it was not very good value either from the entrance fee , to the way the voucher worked and also I thought the portions for the price were not worth the money. My opinion is'nt a reason to say I have a chip on my shoulder nor is it a reason to have a pop at Carlow.

I didn't have a pop at Carlow! But my impression that you could so easily be riled up by the names led me to believe that perhaps you had a chip on your shoulder beforehand, apologies for that.

I was also told you could only buy in 20's, If I'd known you could buy in 5s i'd have spent another fiver instead of leaving with 1 smoking.

I got my tickets through pigsback, I certainly wouldn't have paid full price. Kids were free though weren't they? If you work out your entrance fee between the 5 of you, that's 7e each or so, that's not bad value. I think some dishes were better value than others, you should have filled up with the free Dennys sandwiches and free Smithwicks pale ale/blonde samples.

Advertisement