Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Grill Festival Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Blut2

I actually thought the prices for food were very reasonable. I got an Argentinian sausage in a bun thing from Asador for a fiver which was basically burger size. I also got a full pulled pork burger with chips for 5eur from Smoking Sams (I think that was it, big line, just inside the entrance to the right). Both a lot cheaper for their size/quality than you'd get anywhere else in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's a very simplistic view of things. How do you know what their overheads are? Staff, accommodation, taxes, insurances, consumables, etc., etc.

And even if you did know all those figures, in your opinion, what's an acceptable level of profit for someone that owns a business?

Course its simplistic. However - this is basically a promotional event from the vendors point of view. Or should be anyway, like Taste should be. Getting new customers to try their food. Charging full whack after people have already paid in isn't really how to do it.

Anyone saying the prices were reasonable for this sort of thing obviously haven't been to a food fair outside of Ireland. Or London. These are weekly events in places like Mississippi, The Carolinas, (actually anywhere down south) and I've been to similar in Berlin and (tapas) Spain. Only in Ireland (and London) are we expected to pay restaurant prices where we have to queue, eat from paper plates and sit on the grass.

And yet people are giving out about people who think making this acceptable practice keeps the rejuvenation of rip off Ireland moving full steam ahead. Which it does. Great for tourism isn't it! Third most expensive city in Europe for a night out.

see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil.jpg
    BBQ platter for 2 is Asador is 60 quid. Dishes from the Tandoor in Kinara are 20-25 quid. BBQ plates in Barbacoa are 25-30 euro.

I dont know where you are getting the idea that this was supposed to be a festival of cheap food? Did you read it somewhere? Do you think they would attract the sort of crowd they do with cheap nasty grub?

BBQ food IS cheap nasty grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pretty sure the vendors pay to be there too. Whoever organized it is doing the laughing. It's why I don't bother going to these type of events, beer only ones are fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Nal wrote: »
    Anyone saying the prices were reasonable for this sort of thing obviously haven't been to a food fair outside of Ireland. Or London. These are weekly events in places like Mississippi, The Carolinas, (actually anywhere down south) and I've been to similar in Berlin and (tapas) Spain. Only in Ireland (and London) are we expected to pay restaurant prices where we have to queue, eat from paper plates and sit on the grass.
    'Tis a terrible shame that the sort of events that don't happen in Ireland don't happen in Ireland. Damn you, logic! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

RasTa wrote: »
    Pretty sure the vendors pay to be there too. Whoever organized it is doing the laughing. It's why I don't bother going to these type of events, beer only ones are fine.

I spoke to two of them who told me what it cost them to be there for the weekend. So they definitely pay to get a stall. Hardly surprising though really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Kinda interested in going to this this year. Is it less of a rip off than taste of Dublin?

youngblood wrote: »
    Kinda interested in going to this this year. Is it less of a rip off than taste of Dublin?
    If going to a pay-in + pay-for-food event has you worried about whether it's a "rip off" or not, don't go, you won't be happy. Spend your money in a barbecue joint in town and enjoy yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It's worth a day of t I was there last night with one of the lads and it was a fun day out. Great beer and lovely food and a catch up with one of my friends what more would you won't?.

BeerNut wrote:
    If going to a pay-in + pay-for-food event has you worried about whether it's a "rip off" or not, don't go, you won't be happy. Spend your money in a barbecue joint in town and enjoy yourself.

If fairness I don't mind paying if it's value for money. But paying a fiver for something the size of my little finger can't be justified.
    It's mainly portion size that is my biggest concern

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Last year at least the food portions were 'real', as opposed to Taste of Dublin size, if that's any help.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote:
    Last year at least the food portions were 'real', as opposed to Taste of Dublin size, if that's any help.

Thanks, that's more like it...... In fairness who actually thought those portions were standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

If fairness I don't mind paying if it's value for money. But paying a fiver for something the size of my little finger can't be justified.
    It's mainly portion size that is my biggest concern

Its not "value for money". The frugal society need not apply. If you dont mind spending 60 quid on an evening out then you might enjoy it.

Interesting to see that C&C and Franciscan Well are off the beer list this year. In the interests of craft purity, perhaps? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I can't see these rip off food festivals will survive pop will eat it self.

Hootanany wrote: »
    I can't see these rip off food festivals will survive pop will eat it self.
    Possibly, but PWEI cheated by splitting up between 1996 and 2005 while Taste has been been going solid since 2006.

The Thursday and Friday nights at these kind of events in Dublin get a high % of corporate bookings.

If you are a company social club, it's a relatively easy night out to organise for 80 - 100 people.
    It's expensive, but if you're on a company social club, you're willing to pay a premium for less hassle \ time spent in organising stuff.
    Plus it means it's both a company night out and a 'public' night out, so a different vibe to booking a room in a bar etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Thursday and Friday nights at these kind of events in Dublin get a high % of corporate bookings.

If you are a company social club, it's a relatively easy night out to organise for 80 - 100 people.
    It's expensive, but if you're on a company social club, you're willing to pay a premium for less hassle \ time spent in organising stuff.
    Plus it means it's both a company night out and a 'public' night out, so a different vibe to booking a room in a bar etc etc

That's what I'm planing on doing. It's only about 10 people but it means that I can just get everyone a ticket, give them some tokens (or money) and say do what you want. Without the normal hassle of having to have a credit card behind a bar and constant watching of a tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I was along at this last night. I wasn't a corporate guest, but just a private individual paying in.

I thought it was a rip off. €17 entrance that doesn't get you any tokens. Then purchase books of tickets sold in €5 and €20 euro blocks to pay somewhat over the odds for admittedly nice food. Tokens are non-refundable, so don't buy €40 of tokens if you're planning to eat €25 worth of food. The musical "entertainment" on offer wasn't great.

Also, the food vendors get less than €1 for each euro's worth of tokens you spend with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Heading tomorrow but sold out and mate looking for spare none over in Adverts

any spare PM me

What's the deal with the Just Eat waiters? I'm thinking I misseda trick as I queued for 15 minutes for a Box Burger... (which was lovely in the end)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Anyone been or going this year?

Heading out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Heading out tomorrow.

Same. Hope the weather holds up.

Been the last two nights. Don't miss Hope's new double IPA.

Is it any good this year? Still very expensive and over crowded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its 22eur for a Saturday ticket this year which seems excessive, given you then go in to pay full price for drinks food etc. Presumably the food stalls are all paying to be there too? It must be very profitable.

The Heineken wild lager was doing free strip of ribeye steak or monkfish with every drink at one point... didnt think much of the beer but the steak was lovely!

And the Jameson slushies are dangerous.

Never heard of Jameson cold brew before but they were advertising it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

It was a ripoff and overcrowded.

I went looking forward to some great quality BBQ food.

In the end you get lengthly queues for an ok burger and not much range or choice of options. There was nowhere to get a decent hot dog for example.

The only positive was the craft beer was nice and the queue was never too bad for the bar.

Otherwise there was nothing to convince me to go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

BeerNut wrote: »
    Been the last two nights. Don't miss Hope's new double IPA.

€20 in and pay for food are you joking this has to stop what a rip off

Hootanany wrote: »
    €20 in and pay for food are you joking this has to stop what a rip off
    I didn't pay in and I don't care about the food so didn't buy any. It's also possible to not go without resenting that other people did.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    It was a ripoff and overcrowded.

I went looking forward to some great quality BBQ food.

In the end you get lengthly queues for an ok burger and not much range or choice of options. There was nowhere to get a decent hot dog for example.

The only positive was the craft beer was nice and the queue was never too bad for the bar.

Otherwise there was nothing to convince me to go back again.

So the same as every other year then.

Advertisement