Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsanitary apartment [URGENT]

Options
  • 14-08-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in a 2nd story apartment. Underneath is an elderly woman who we suspect is struggling with mental issues. Over the course of two years there have been some incidents involving a seriously strong, vile smell emanating from her apartment door into the corridor. These incidents have, as far as I'm aware, been reported to the landlord. Over the past couple of weeks this... smell... has become more frequent, until now, where it's 24/7. Not only is this smell escaping into the hallway, but now seems to be coming through the holes in the floor where our boiler is and through wardrobes. I obviously can't live like this, it's extremely unsanitary, and who can live with the smell of **** and piss coming into your rooms?!

The landlord is hesitant to do anything, as she has been paying rent for a long time, and its a sensitive issue. Is there something else I can do? Are there any government agencies that can force this to stop/help her move away?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

if its that bad outside - think how bad it must be inside

HSE - 1850 24 1850

or a GP

or
    HSE Dublin Mid-Leinster

Dun Laoghaire
    Ms. Maura McCrudden, HSE Dun Laoghaire, Basement, 8 Corrig Avenue, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin Tel: 01 230 3152 Email: maura.mccrudden@hse.ie

Dublin South East
    Mr. Frank McHugh, Balally Primary Care Centre, Rockfield Business Park, Balally, Dundrum, Dublin 14 Tel: 01 292 4500 / 01 2924535 Email: frank.mchugh1@hse.ie

Dublin South City
    Ms. Bernadette Casey, St. Mary's Community Unit, Richmond Hill, Rathmines, Dublin 6 Tel: 01 498 7114 Email: bernadette.casey1@hse.ie

Dublin South West
    Ms. Carol Cuffe, General Manager, Dublin South West, Poplar House, Millennium Park, Naas, Co. Kildare Tel: 045 907862 Email: carol.cuffe@hse.ie

Dublin West
    Ms. Aisling Coffey, Unit 11, Social Work Department, Cherry Orchard Hospital, Ballyfermot, Dublin 10 Tel: 01 620 6274 Email: aisling.coffey@hse.ie

Kildare / West Wicklow
    Ms. Carol Cuffe, General Manager, Oak House, Millennium Park, Naas, Co. Kildare Tel: 045 873233 Email: carol.cuffe@hse.ie / pauline.byrne@hse.ie

Wicklow
    Ms. Janet Beattie-Doyle, Senior Case Worker for the Protection of Older People, HSE Primary Care Centre, Newtown Mount kennedy, Co. Wicklow Tel: 01 2018500 Email: janet.beattiedoyle@hse.ie

Laois / Offaly
    Ms. Eimear Colgan, HSE Laois/Offaly, HSE Midlands, Regional Disabilities / Primary Care, Health Centre, Arden Road, Tullamore, Co. Offaly Tel: 057 9359917 Email: EimearE.Colgan@hse.ie

Longford / Westmeath
    Ms. Carmel Broughan, Principal Social Worker, HSE DML, Longford / Westmeath, HSE Midlands, Primary Care Unit, Top Floor, St. Loman's Campus, Delvin Road, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath Tel: 044 9397453 Email: carmel.broughan@hse.ie

HSE West

Donegal
    Mr. Seamus McGarvey, HSE West, 1, St. Eunan's Court, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal Tel: 087 953 1695 Email: seamus.mcgarvey@hse.ie

Galway
    Ms. Freda Quinlan, HSE West, Galway, La Nua, Ballybane Neighbourhood Village, Castlepark Road, Galway Tel: 091 748427 Email: freda.quinlan@hse.ie

Mayo
    Mr. Seamus Egan, PCCC, St. Mary's Headquarters, Westport Road, Castlebar, Co. Mayo Tel: 094 9042011 Email: seamus.egan@hse.ie

Roscommon
    Mr. Paul Finnegan, HSE, Carolan House, Sacred Heart Hospital, Roscommon Tel: 090 6637833 Email: Paul.finnegan@hse.ie

Sligo/Leitrim
    Ms. Frances Clifford, Ardaghowen, The Mall, Sligo Tel: 071 9149634 / 087 2251345 Email: frances.clifford1@hse.ie

Clare
    Mr. Donal Hurley, St. Joseph's Hospital, Ennis Tel: 065 6863869 Email: donal.hurley@hse.ie

Limerick
    Ms. Lorna O'Neill, Senior Case Worker for Primary Care Area 1 (Limerick and North Tipperary), HSE West, Ballynanty Health Centre, Ballynanty Beg, Limerick. Tel: 061 457129 Email: To be confirmed.

North Tipperary/East Limerick
    Ms. Ruth Hoey, Interim Senior Case Worker, Tyone Health Centre, Tyone, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary Tel: 067 46470 Email: ruth.hoey@hse.ie

HSE South

Cork South Lee
    Ms. Bernadette Coleman, HSE South Cork - South Lee, Room 25 Floor 1, Block 8, St. Finbarr's Hospital, Douglas Road, Cork Tel: 021 492 3855 Email: Bernadette.coleman1@hse.ie

Cork North Lee and North Cork
    Mr. Edward Myers, HSE North Lee and North Cork, St. Francis' Day Centre, Rathealy Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork Tel: 086 7871097 Email: ted.myers@hse.ie

West Cork
    Ms. Gabrielle O'Keeffe, General Manager, HSE South, West Cork, Floor 3, Abbey Court House, Georges Quay, Cork Tel: 021 4923930 Email: gabrielle.okeeffe@hse.ie

Carlow / Kilkenny
    Ms. Geraldine Sutton, HSE South, Kilkenny Community Care Headquarters, James Green, Kilkenny Tel: 056 7784705 Email: geraldine.sutton@hse.ie

South Tipperary
    Ms. Noirin Dunne, HSE South, South Tipperary, Older Persons Services, Community Care, Western Road, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary Tel: 052-6187680 / 087 9457570 Email: noirin.dunne@hse.ie

Waterford
    Ms. Jacinta Brennan, (send post to) HSE South, Waterford Community Care, Cork Road, Waterford. (Based in) Waterford Health Park, Slievekeale Road, Waterford City. Tel: 051 359078 Email: jacinta.brennan@hse.ie

Wexford
    Mr. Carsten Kohl, Wexford Community Services, St. John's Hospital, Enniscorthy, Wexford Tel: 053 9259892 Email: carsten.kohl@hse.ie

Kerry
    Ms. Joanne French, HSE South Community Care Offices, Rathass, Tralee, Co.Kerry, Tel: 066 7184563 Email: joanne.french@hse.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

F9Devil wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in a 2nd story apartment. Underneath is an elderly woman who we suspect is struggling with mental issues. Over the course of two years there have been some incidents involving a seriously strong, vile smell emanating from her apartment door into the corridor. These incidents have, as far as I'm aware, been reported to the landlord. Over the past couple of weeks this... smell... has become more frequent, until now, where it's 24/7. Not only is this smell escaping into the hallway, but now seems to be coming through the holes in the floor where our boiler is and through wardrobes. I obviously can't live like this, it's extremely unsanitary, and who can live with the smell of **** and piss coming into your rooms?!

The landlord is hesitant to do anything, as she has been paying rent for a long time, and its a sensitive issue. Is there something else I can do? Are there any government agencies that can force this to stop/help her move away?

Cheers
    I'm not trying to be funny or smart, but if the smell is now 24/7, just wondering when was the last time you saw or heard her...........

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

I'm not trying to be funny or smart, but if the smell is now 24/7, just wondering when was the last time you saw or heard her...........

Oh don't worry, I've thought that a possibility on a number of occasions. I've heard her calling for her cat to come inside though. Also this must be a DSPCA issue as well, the poor thing, but I couldn't be a part of taking a cat away from an old lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

gctest50 wrote: »
    if its that bad outside - think how bad it must be inside

HSE - 1850 24 1850

or a GP

I tried to call the relevant number but got voicemail, and sent her an email. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Another option is the Environmental Health Officer in your local council.

They're experienced at dealing with this sort of thing, and have links to involve other authorities when needed. As it is when your neighbour's behaviour is endangering your health.

• Advertisement
Advertisement