Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checking your partner's phone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

catallus wrote: »
    Platonic????? Mwahahahhaha! :D

I'll give you an example. There are a few women that I'd number among my closest friends, one in particular who I'd consider a best friend, one of my three closest friends. I've known her since I was in school, and there's never been any sort of attraction of any kind between us, our relationship is indistinguishable from the ones I have with my male friends.

My OH has no problem with this whatsoever. Sometimes we'll meet for lunch, or go to a movie together, just the two of us if nobody else is up for it. Not a problem in the slightest for my OH - naturally in my opinion. She's my mate like.

But one night my OH was going out with some old friends of hers, and I was staying in, so over came my mate and we played some Playstation, got a takeaway, had a few beers.

When someone asked my OH "What's Max up to tonight?" and heard that I was at home with *GASP* a girl they had a major problem with it and asked her why she allowed it!

Some people are really weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

chellyry wrote: »
    Wow, didn't expect that many replies that quickly! When I say checking up I mean looking, as in at pictures etc. And I mean in front of them, not as soon as they leave the room kind of thing.

I'm ok with it, and ok with him looking at messages, mails, snapchats etc too. If you're in an honest relationship then where's the problem. I see it as having no secrets. Just my opinion though. :)

"I know its fine dont be weird about it, everyone does it! look ill post a thread on boards and ask the audience :) "

didnt work out so well for you OP did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭SaoirseRose

I'll give you an example. There are a few women that I'd number among my closest friends, one in particular who I'd consider a best friend, one of my three closest friends. I've known her since I was in school, and there's never been any sort of attraction of any kind between us, our relationship is indistinguishable from the ones I have with my male friends.

My OH has no problem with this whatsoever. Sometimes we'll meet for lunch, or go to a movie together, just the two of us if nobody else is up for it. Not a problem in the slightest for my OH - naturally in my opinion. She's my mate like.

But one night my OH was going out with some old friends of hers, and I was staying in, so over came my mate and we played some Playstation, got a takeaway, had a few beers.

When someone asked my OH "What's Max up to tonight?" and heard that I was at home with *GASP* a girl they had a major problem with it and asked her why she allowed it!

I find that attitude really strange also. Most of my close friends are guys, one of my best friends is a guy I actually dated, and my OH has no problem with it. Likewise, one of his best friends is a girl and I've no issue at all with that. I mean, if you trust your partner then why would that be any kind of an issue? And if you don't trust them, why the hell are you with them in the first place?

I really don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭chellyry

MS.ing wrote: »
    "I know its fine dont be weird about it, everyone does it! look ill post a thread on boards and ask the audience :) "

didnt work out so well for you OP did it

What's that supposed to mean?

Like I've already said a few times, I was curious about other people's views on it. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I know my opinion on the matter, and now I have a fair idea of what other people think about it. So I don't think it backfired like you're implying.

Wibbs wrote: »

Some people don't get it though. I've had a couple of people check my phone on dates, when I went to the bar or whatever. End date.

:pac:

no words. just no words!
    What's that supposed to mean?

Like I've already said a few times, I was curious about other people's views on it. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I know my opinion on the matter, and now I have a fair idea of what other people think about it. So I don't think it backfired like you're implying.

lolz u got it bad. dump him n boil some bunnies

nice to see the votes stacking up with the mental illness demographic.

one in four, 25% is spot on so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yes, it's a complete invasion of privacy
    I'm of the complete opposite opinion to most people here. I don't think people should expect privacy in a long term relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I really don't get it.

Ah no, I do get it in fairness that it just depends on what you're used to, or what your friends are used to. For example a lot of my wife's friends are women, either single or very much coupley, like joined at the hip coupley, and tbh they melt my head, so I can't be dealing with them. They might ask her the odd time where am I or whatever, as if her friends expect that because they're joined at the hip, we should be joined at the hip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thebigblue

krudler wrote: »
    If you're gonna be a cheat dont be a dumbass and go buy a 20 quid prepay phone and another number.

That is so malicious and conniving. God help your partner if you have you. I cannot stand cheats, especially ones that put that much thought into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

It's not just about your own privacy either. I have, on occasion, had people share things in a message to me when I was the only person they felt they could share it with, based on the fact they knew me and knew I'd never divulge it to other people. If it wasn't for the fact they knew that about me they may well have had no one they could have shared it with, probably to their significant detriment. You may think (I disagree strongly) that you have some 'right' to invade your partners privacy, but you have no right to invade the privacy of the people that message them or risk permanently damaging the (sometimes vitally important) trust they have with a third party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Lookit, all this talk of privacy is all very well, but people are just going to have to learn to become part of the brave new world of total openness!

It is the diktat of the elites that every shred of meaningful communication (even your innermost, most intimate thoughts) be potentially scrutinised.

You'll learn to love it, in time. So just give in :)

catallus wrote: »
    Lookit, all this talk of privacy is all very well, but people are just going to have to learn to become part of the brave new world of total openness!

It is the diktat of the elites that every shred of meaningful communication (even your innermost, most intimate thoughts) be potentially scrutinised.

You'll learn to love it, in time. So just give in :)

No? :pac:

I don't want to know anyone else's innermost, most intimate thoughts. Some people are just far too fond of sharing, when really, it's probably better for themselves and everyone else if they didn't.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    No? :pac:

I don't want to know anyone else's innermost, most intimate thoughts. Some people are just far too fond of sharing, when really, it's probably better for themselves and everyone else if they didn't.

What you want is entirely independent of what will happen to you!

Bend the knee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

MS.ing wrote: »
    nice to see the votes stacking up with the mental illness demographic.

one in four, 25% is spot on so

I wonder how the votes would stacks up to if you discount people that are single or in relationships less then 6 months :p

I'm not saying that people snooping is a good thing, or an acceptable carry on but if you actually have nothing to hide why is it such a big deal if its a once off if you genuinely have nothing to hide.
    If its something that happens in anyway regularly at all (I mean years apart!) I'd consider that creepy but if there is actually a reason and it reassures the other person whats the harm if its only the once (after all if its a serious relationship there is a chance you will be spending the rest of your life with that person that in itself is a fairly big lack of privacy right there :cool: )

I imagine if people actually applied the type of rules that are set down by others on Boards most relationships would last about 2 weeks.

Her: Listen I'm a bit worried about X, can I check you phone?
    Him: Never thats a complete violation of my privacy and its violating the privacy of all my friends (which I obviously never talk to you about :rolleyes: )

Her: But Why won;t you?
    Him: Because I'm an independent person and I will never compromise my privacy

Her: So you have something to hide that you don't want me to find out about
    Him: No but your being controlling and paranoid and this is a warning sign! I'm starting to have my doubts about us!

Her: Why are you so defensive about your privacy your trying to hide something! I'm starting to have my doubts about us!
    Him: Fine then lets break up if you want to control me for the rest of our lives

Her: Fine then if your hiding something that you would rather break up with me than me seeing lets break up

(I'd like to reiterate I've never actually checked herselfs phone in all the years and she only did once after a big row years ago and felt guilty afterwards!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Kelly06 wrote: »
    What people are missing here is that the op's other half has changed in relation to the way he treats his phone. Huge red flag, huge. If it was the way he always was I would be okay with that but the change in behaviour is an obvious warning sign that all is not what it seems.

I would be very worried if I was the op. I'm not the jealous type never was and hopefully I won't be in the future after my bad experience but if your gut instinct says something's wrong get that proof what ever way you can

This. The fecker is playing away. Has he any very close friends, a new found love for Cher and an improved sense of style? I believe he may have contracted the ghey. Which is possibly a good thing if you're planning on re-decorating, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Hmm I wouldn't like my boyfriend going through my phone to be honest. Like if I was busy and my phone was there and I had an idea who might be texting me I might be like read out that for me, or ask him to reply to something but usually I wouldn't. I think what my friends are saying to me should be private and it's not my place to let people disrespect their privacy.

He probably wouldn't even want to read my messages anyway because he thinks me and my friends are dumb as **** so I'm sure he would have no interest in anything we had to talk about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Jboss

He's cheating on you love

Although my best friend is worse than a partner. She stalks me via iCloud and find my iPhone lol. Sometimes I've got random texts from her like "what are you doing in newbridge?" Or "are you on your way over? No you're not... you're still at home".
    I don't mind though, be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

If you have nothing to hide then why bla bla
    God, that ****ing expression...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I wouldn't allow it primarily because I feel if someone is in a relationship they should have total trust and have no need to look through someone's phone. People are far too controlling in relationships these days. I probably saw my former best friend about 3 times in about 4 months before I finally gave up on him, his girlfriend expected him to spend every free moment he had with her, and also expected him to cheat on her every time he went somewhere without her. The 3 or so times I did see him in that period he repeatedly reminded me to lie to his girlfriend and say I wasn't out with him if it came to it, while also deleting all the texts on his phone so she couldn't see them. Now the two are in a relationship which is constant fighting and they can't break up because they've lost all their friends. Relationships are formed on trust, I have absolutely nothing on my phone to hide, but if I was in a relationship I'd never allow my partner to look through my phone, because that says they have at least a small amount of doubt in weather they trust me or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Although my best friend is worse than a partner. She stalks me via iCloud and find my iPhone lol. Sometimes I've got random texts from her like "what are you doing in newbridge?" Or "are you on your way over? No you're not... you're still at home".

Jesus christ, you're going to wake up some morning with her just leaning over you staring at you.

If you've nothing to hide then you've nothing to fear!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

If you think he has nothing to hide, then why do you need to check?

In God we trust, everyone else - prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

If you're in an honest relationship then where's the problem.

If you were truly in an honest relationship, then there would be no reason to be snooping in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Trust is something that should be earned not assumed.

Trusting somebody before you actually know you can trust them is stupid.

• Advertisement

I wonder how the votes would stacks up to if you discount people that are single or in relationships less then 6 months :p

I'm not saying that people snooping is a good thing, or an acceptable carry on but if you actually have nothing to hide why is it such a big deal if its a once off if you genuinely have nothing to hide.
    If its something that happens in anyway regularly at all (I mean years apart!) I'd consider that creepy but if there is actually a reason and it reassures the other person whats the harm if its only the once (after all if its a serious relationship there is a chance you will be spending the rest of your life with that person that in itself is a fairly big lack of privacy right there :cool: )

I can only speak for myself here, but my privacy isn't a question of whether I have anything to hide or not. It's a question of "Why do you want to know?". I can tell you right now that there is nothing on my phone that is of any interest to you. If you trust me, then you should be able to take my word for it. If you don't trust me however, then you have every right to make a judgement call on that basis - do you respect my right to privacy and trust me and what I'm telling you, or do you ignore my right to privacy in favour of what you feel is your right to invade my privacy, disrespecting my personal boundaries, and breaking our trust.

If you act on what you feel is your right to invade my privacy, then the possible consequences of breaking my trust is that I would consider our relationship was no longer viable, and I would have to make a judgement call on that basis whether or not it is worth continuing with the relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Ha ha how the hell does your Bessie know your I tunes password or even remember it ?!! I've trouble remembering my own!

Ha ha how the hell does your Bessie know your I tunes password or even remember it ?!!

It's my password for everything!! Email, snapchat. She wouldn't have the greatest respect for privacy to be fair. Even in the mornings, if I stayed in her house and was on toilet or something shed walk in and brush her teeth. No boundries! But I love her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

In and of itself, your partner "checking" your phone is extraordinarily off-putting behaviour. Wtf does "If you have nothing to hide" have to do with anything? :confused:
    The action of checking your phone is the issue, it doesn't make a jot of a difference if there are absolutely zero texts/questionable phone numbers on the phone, partner should not be checking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Checking your partners phone is always a hindsight thing.
    If you check it and there is nothing... you've crossed a line. It's wrong. However check it and find out your seemingly loving partner is shagging someone else? .. was it so wrong then. No.

But of course hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'm going to check my partner's phone right now, hang on.

Yep, there it is, in his hand. Where it always is.
    (His phone, nothing else. Dirty beggers.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Bunny Boiler

It's my password for everything!! Email, snapchat. She wouldn't have the greatest respect for privacy to be fair. Even in the mornings, if I stayed in her house and was on toilet or something shed walk in and brush her teeth. No boundries! But I love her

Ha ha well I would have no problem showing anything to close friends but if one of them came in when I was on the toilet id be havin words I tells ye! Years ago I had a mate who was let's say very comfortable with her body, which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing. However you would regularly call in to visit her in her parents house and she would be completely naked in her bedroom ! Not even a pair of nick nicks on her. She wouldn't get dressed either she would sit there and have a chat with you and not even realise or care that she was in the nip! Kinda off putting to be honest and I'm not prudish ! True story I swear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think it's wrong, if I want or need someone - anyone - to look through my private communications I'll give them explicit permission. Being in a relationship doesn't negate the right to or need for privacy. The "but if you've nothing to hide" argument is just as pointless as the "but if you trusted me" argument. They're BS.

The simple reality is that it ain't anyone else's phone so nobody else should be at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Ha ha well I would have no problem showing anything to close friends but if one of them came in when I was on the toilet id be havin words I tells ye! Years ago I had a mate who was let's say very comfortable with her body, which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing. However you would regularly call in to visit her in her parents house and she would be completely naked in her bedroom ! Not even a pair of nick nicks on her. She wouldn't get dressed either she would sit there and have a chat with you and not even realise or care that she was in the nip! Kinda off putting to be honest and I'm not prudish ! True story I swear!

Nice

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Nice

Lol! She was what you lads would call well proportioned also!

Lol! She was what you lads would call well proportioned also!

Go on.....

Go on.....

You should .... Go on......porn hub! Your not getting fapping fantasies here !

Or her number!

Or her number!

That'd be great, cheers

That'd be great, cheers

Your too late Todd she's married now sorry to burst your little bubble!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Your too late Todd she's married now sorry to burst your little bubble!!

He didn't ask her relationship situation, now get that man a number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I'm ok with it, and ok with him looking at messages, mails, snapchats etc too. If you're in an honest relationship then where's the problem. I see it as having no secrets. Just my opinion though. :)

But what if there's stuff on his phone someone else wants to keep secret, ie a conversation with a friend that contains details the friend wouldn't want others to know.

A person has a right to control what you're allowed to know.
    If you trust that person then you should trust they're not keeping anything important from you.
    If you feel you need to check the phone to trust the other person, you don't trust them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

GarIT wrote: »
    Trust is something that should be earned not assumed.

Trusting somebody before you actually know you can trust them is stupid.

The slogan most embittered 40-something women live by, along with 'All men are bastards'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I wouldn't have any problem at all with him using my phone... I'm not even sure what "checking" someone's phone would involve, though?

I have answered his phone when he was driving and the call was important, and have used it to read and reply to texts in the same situation. I wouldn't pick it up and read through his contact history or something, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Shenshen wrote: »
    I wouldn't have any problem at all with him using my phone... I'm not even sure what "checking" someone's phone would involve, though?

I have answered his phone when he was driving and the call was important, and have used it to read and reply to texts in the same situation. I wouldn't pick it up and read through his contact history or something, though...

I think you answered the first part with the second part. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

If I even had the intension of wanting to my bf would tell me to go fúck myself and never come back. Vice versa, and rightfully so.

Her: Listen I'm a bit worried about X, can I check you phone?
    Him: Never thats a complete violation of my privacy and its violating the privacy of all my friends (which I obviously never talk to you about :rolleyes: )

There is a massive difference between "there's my phone and pin, will you check x for me my hands are full" or "so and so is ringing would you mind answering my phone for me and tell them I'll give them a shout in a few"
    vs
    "oh she's gone off to the shower. I'll have an aul snoop on her phone while she's not looking. Check contact history. Any messages from BOYS..."

Obviously :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

What are people's views on checking their partner's phones?

Personally I see nothing wrong with it so long as it isn't every day and in a 'checking up on you' kind of way. If you have nothing to hide then why make a big deal out of your partner looking at your phone?

I ask because I have never had a problem with it, but my partner has recently become very protective over his and won't let me even touch it, even though I allow him to check mine. I'm not looking for advice here, just opinions on the question above. I've also noticed a lot of comments on posts where people are appalled at partners who do this.

So, which side are you on? Don't see any problem with it, or think it's a complete invasion of privacy?

As well he should. It's a complete invasion of privacy.

If you are these kinds of trust issues, where you can't even let him use his phone as he pleases without looking over his shoulders then what you need to do is talk to him about it, not go snooping around his personal items.

I would be livid if my partner did that to me and I would never consider doing it to him.

If you think your partner is up to something dodgy confront him.

And if you just can't bring yourself to trust him completely you might want to rethink the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭chellyry

Ok once again, I shouldn't have used the word check, I should have asked if you would mind your partner using it. I mean would you have a problem if your partner grabbed their phone off the table as you were reaching for something beside it, if they come back into the room to get it if they leave just to go to the bathroom and forget to bring it, sleep with it charging under their side of the bed, always leaning away with the back of the phone towards you any time they use it and leave the room every time they get a phone call. If they refused to let you simply google something on it with them there beside you. That's what I'm asking. I don't wait until he goes out of the room and search through all of his private stuff while he's not there. If I want to use it to do something I'll ask if I can and tell him why I want to. If he says no then I leave it be. I'm not some crazy psycho paranoid gf. I'm just someone that was curious as to other people's views on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Ok once again, I shouldn't have used the word check, I should have asked if you would mind your partner using it. I mean would you have a problem if your partner grabbed their phone off the table as you were reaching for something beside it, if they come back into the room to get it if they leave just to go to the bathroom and forget to bring it, sleep with it charging under their side of the bed, always leaning away with the back of the phone towards you any time they use it and leave the room every time they get a phone call. If they refused to let you simply google something on it with them there beside you. That's what I'm asking. I don't wait until he goes out of the room and search through all of his private stuff while he's not there. If I want to use it to do something I'll ask if I can and tell him why I want to. If he says no then I leave it be. I'm not some crazy psycho paranoid gf. I'm just someone that was curious as to other people's views on the topic.

Sounds like you boyfriend is shagging someone else.

Advertisement