Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists breaking lights!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

RainyDay wrote: »
    Would you like to point out a few of the posts where you've seen cyclists demanding 'zero tolerance' and 'iron rods'? I haven't seen any such posts, so it would be interesting to see where you picked this up from.
    I'll make a more through response to this later when time permits but individuals like bamberg_bike, cyclopath2001, galwaycyclist, Iwannahurl have all made it clear that they have very extreme views.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

OP, he'll probably be going the same route every day at the same time.
    Stake out that junction for a few days and you'll get him.
    Have your camera ready.
    Stop him if possible (non-forcibly), take as many photos as possible, it's in public so there's problem doing that.
    And tell him you're off to the guards with the photos unless he gives you his name and address.
    Then when he gives you his names and address, off to the guards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

SeanW wrote: »
    I'll make a more through response to this later when time permits but individuals like bamberg_bike, cyclopath2001, galwaycyclist, Iwannahurl have all made it clear that they have very extreme views.

I look forward to the thorough response. I'm sure the named posters might have something to say about your claims also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Have seen this happening more and more around the city centre in the last year! In some cases have seen pedestrians fighting back as well.. for example on o'connell street at the lights crossing from the middle of the road to penneys, the light goes green for pedestrians to cross, 3 or 4 cyclists come bombing up the road,none looking at lights and proceed to weave in and out between people,one woman had a pram with her and was crossing the road, the man with her, I'm guessing husband, has to yank the pram back because this one cyclists was going to ram straight into it at a bit of speed, the husband proceeds to run after the cyclists and drag him off his bike and scream into his face about what he had just nearly hit with his bike and what would have happened if he had of hit it, he told him in no uncertain terms what he thought of him and walked off to his wife who had the pram and was shaken enough from the experience by the looks of things.

The cyclists got up off the ground, tucked his suit back into his socks and took off on his bike again with a big bright red head on him. A grown man in his 30s who nearly burst into a baby in a pram!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

josip wrote: »
    OP, he'll probably be going the same route every day at the same time.
    Stake out that junction for a few days and you'll get him.
    Have your camera ready.
    Stop him if possible (non-forcibly), take as many photos as possible, it's in public so there's problem doing that.
    And tell him you're off to the guards with the photos unless he gives you his name and address.
    Then when he gives you his names and address, off to the guards!

And he just denies everything and gets off entirely. OP staking out a junction and taking photos of the guy tomorrow proves nothing other than the fact that they took photos of a cyclist. It certainly doesn't prove that it was that cyclist who did the damage, even if it was.

A lot of cyclist have taken to using cameras on their commute, dashcams are getting cheaper and cheaper so if you're a motorist it's worth a consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

flas wrote: »
    Have seen this happening more and more around the city centre in the last year! In some cases have seen pedestrians fighting back as well.. for example on o'connell street at the lights crossing from the middle of the road to penneys, the light goes green for pedestrians to cross, 3 or 4 cyclists come bombing up the road,none looking at lights and proceed to weave in and out between people,one woman had a pram with her and was crossing the road, the man with her, I'm guessing husband, has to yank the pram back because this one cyclists was going to ram straight into it at a bit of speed, the husband proceeds to run after the cyclists and drag him off his bike and scream into his face about what he had just nearly hit with his bike and what would have happened if he had of hit it, he told him in no uncertain terms what he thought of him and walked off to his wife who had the pram and was shaken enough from the experience by the looks of things.

The cyclists got up off the ground, tucked his suit back into his socks and took off on his bike again with a big bright red head on him. A grown man in his 30s who nearly burst into a baby in a pram!

Brilliant, so cyclists can now scream into the face of the many pedestrians that step out into the road, usually well iPodded to make sure they don't hear the cyclist at all until it's too late?

It's gonna get screamy...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

SeanW wrote: »

Err... cyclopath2001 has not posted in nearly three years!

A grown man in his 30s who nearly burst into a baby in a pram!

Err... it tends not to be just teenage drivers who kill children.

There's people who are idiots and idiots walk, cycle, and drive -- they are not confined to any one mode of transport!
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not much point on cameras on red lights/ junctions until you figure out how to identify miscreants who don't have identifying plates or are you only suggesting that registered vehicles should be penalised?

Nasty cyclists running red lights and running into Luas trams once ever few months causing death, injury or at least damage and delay... Oh, no, it's actually motorists who are the main issue running lights and ramming trams off tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Brilliant, so cyclists can now scream into the face of the many pedestrians that step out into the road, usually well iPodded to make sure they don't hear the cyclist at all until it's too late?

Do these many pedestrians only step into the road in front of cyclists? You would have thought us motorists would have noticed them too. Are you sure they weren't stepping into your way on the footpath?

Yes,that's exactly what I said.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    Err... it tends not to be just teenage drivers who kill children.

There's people who are idiots and idiots walk, cycle, and drive -- they are not confined to any one mode of transport!

Never said it qas confinedd to one mode of transport, was giving an account of an incident I witnessed that is relevant to this thread.

First Up wrote: »
    Do these many pedestrians only step into the road in front of cyclists? You would have thought us motorists would have noticed them too. Are you sure they weren't stepping into your way on the footpath?

Oh dear...

They don't step in the way of motorists because cars make noise.

Any cyclist is aware of this hazard. Pedestrian hears nothing, assumes no traffic, walks into road without looking.

This was the cause of the only serious accident I've ever had on a bike. Other than the time I killed that baby anyway...

Oh dear...

They don't step in the way of motorists because cars make noise.

Any cyclist is aware of this hazard. Pedestrian hears nothing, assumes no traffic, walks into road without looking.

This was the cause of the only serious accident I've ever had on a bike. Other than the time I killed that baby anyway...

The other poster said they all use IPods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

If you are genuinely unaware of the amount of pedestrians killed and injured by stepping in front of cars then I think there is better things for you to be doing than either driving or posting on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Nearly bashed off a few people walking on the road or stepping onto it with earphones in. I'm very wary to watch people close to the curb/kerb.

I wish I had a camera so you could see the sheer amount of things cyclists have to deal with. It's horrendously stressful. People cutting in front of you, walking out in front of you, people parked in cycle lanes, beeping you because you're in the way, potholes bumps dips and manhole covers, people walking in the cycle lanes etc etc. Had a reasonably close call there yesterday that was the first time it made me think I wish I could have recorded that - 747 airport bus driver cut into the cycle lane on o Connell St, at penny's, they seem to have made it their unofficial stop (very bloody common of bus companies on o Connell St now) without indicating. Never mind that I had right of fcuking way. Cut me off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

(might have been mentioned already)
    Cylce on a bike for a while and then you'll understand why cyclists break lights, cycle on footpaths etc.
    Starting from a standstill on a bike means using energy, whereas coasting through doesn't. Does it mean it's ok? Legally no but most cyclists do it safely I'd like to think.

it's something that motorists and cyclists will never agree on imho.

The vast majority of motorists, pedestrians and cyclists break the law- drive around for 30 mins without breaking the speed limit and you'll get beeped out of it. most pedestrians cross the road where they're not meant to or when the light for them isn't green.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

dinneenp wrote: »
    Cylce on a bike for a while and then you'll understand why cyclists break lights, cycle on footpaths etc.
    Starting from a standstill on a bike means using energy, whereas coasting through doesn't. Does it mean it's ok? Legally no but most cyclists do it safely I'd like to think.

The vast majority of motorists, pedestrians and cyclists break the law- drive around for 30 mins without breaking the speed limit and you'll get beeped out of it. most pedestrians cross the road where they're not meant to or when the light for them isn't green.

man the energy required to provide torque in the lowest gear on a bike possible is tiny compared with the energy compared to move a car from rest.

Never said it qas confinedd to one mode of transport, was giving an account of an incident I witnessed that is relevant to this thread.

You were being silly acting shocked that "a grown man in his 30s" nearly did such a thing -- the reality is that grown men in their 30s manage to knock people down when they are driving so it's not shocking that they would nearly hit a pram when cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The other poster said they all use IPods.
    Even with headphones on you can still hear the bass heavy noises that cars make. Very hard to block that type of sound out, at least without blowing out you ear drums in the process.

If you are genuinely unaware of the amount of pedestrians killed and injured by stepping in front of cars then I think there is better things for you to be doing than either driving or posting on boards

I can study the statistics as well as anyone else. The claim was that cyclists are afflicted by meandering pedestrians as much as pedestrians are endangered by reckless cyclists. Personally I encounter very few such pedestrians, whereas I meet many reckless cyclists. True, cyclists are less likely to kill pedestrians but studies in the UK show that they cause about the same amount of injuries as cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

So just to be clear - you NEVER break any traffic law - right? You NEVER go over the speed limit, NEVER drive with a blown bulb, NEVER turn without indicating, right?

Not intentianally. Everybody errs in every aspect of life, to think otherwise is madness. Why are you making this about me exactly? I am but one person. While we are here, my car is always in road worthy condition, if a bulb goes, I replace it immediately, because I always have replacement bulbs. My indicaters are always used, it's how I was thought and it iritates me when people don't use them. I always keep to the speed limit, the needle will rarely go over the limit.

When I cycle, the same applies. My lights are rechargable, I indicate at turns, stop at lights etc etc, the stuff you rarely see cyclist do.

Are you trying to make it ok to break the law because others do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Roquentin wrote: »
    man the energy required to provide torque in the lowest gear on a bike possible is tiny compared with the energy compared to move a car from rest.
    I meant the energy and effort the cyclist needs to exert. A driver simple pushes their foot on a pedal...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.265926,-6.15822&spn=0.000428,0.002493&t=k&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.265926,-6.158221&panoid=5zpkWPhLDmTyyjN3zJw-Xw&cbp=11,284.03,,0,12.07
    At this junction, it still doesn't matter. Cars are unable to turn left with cyclists in the cycle lane.
    Not sure what you mean there. If a cyclist stops right at the bollard thing and I stop behind him I am in the way of cars who have a green light or flashing amber to go left. So yes in that way they would be unable to turn left, this is why I get out of the lane, even if I am legally entitled to stay in the cycleway and block them, I would want to be a right cunt to not get out of their way.
    Would you not ask the person ahead of you to move up to give you room?
    No, its easier & quicker to just go in front. I often have cars or trucks right on my tail who are going to want to go around the corner and I am not about to make them wait, they would not expect me to just suddenyl stop behind some eejit and block their way. Also I would think anybody who did stop in this fashion is possibly doing it on purpose, possibly one of these gobshite cunts looking to uphold his rights and looking for an argument.

It's dangerous and very selfish to go ahead of faster cyclists at red lights.
    It is far more dangerous for me to hang off at the back and have trucks zooming by me. And the lad in front is surely the selfish one, taking up the entire space and presuming nobody will dare go in front. I really wonder what is going through their minds.

surely a swift kick to the offending cyclist or even a word in the ear would be safer,
    I am not about to kick someone, and I do not think a word in the ear is not safer as I would be stopped behind them with trucks etc coming up. Unless you mean go up alongside them and do it. I still don't think this is safer due to the possibility of them being an unhinged individual, looking for a fight.

nothing more irritating than me waiting to overtake a cyclist safely only for them to opt to sit in front of me at the next lights and to go through the whole waiting for a safe place again
    Agreed, and that is why if I pass someone out I stop right up at the line, so they have plenty of room to safely stop behind me, and no room to pass out in front of me. I would want to be a right cunt not to do this, this is why I am wary of those who do.

Also if someone does stop at the bollard bit they possibly do not mind people getting in front, otherwise why leave it so open, -again unless looking for an argument.

By the way if I am forced to go in front like this for my own safety when I take off at the lights I go very slow after a fast takeoff and stay off to the side, to let the faster person immediately overtake me.

I can study the statistics as well as anyone else. The claim was that cyclists are afflicted by meandering pedestrians as much as pedestrians are endangered by reckless cyclists. Personally I encounter very few such pedestrians, whereas I meet many reckless cyclists.

Do you cycle a lot?

As you can imagine, people are more likely to walk out in front of a cyclists than they on front of cars.
    True, cyclists are less likely to kill pedestrians but studies in the UK show that they cause about the same amount of injuries as cars.

Any link to such studies?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone who tries to claim that the same percentage of motorists as cyclists break red lights is either delusional or lying.
    Indeed, I don't think I saw anyone say otherwise though. The average person is far more likely to break the law on foot, same person is less likely to break the law on a bicycle, and same person far less likely again when in a car. This make perfect sense, the same person is probably more likey to illegally download an album than shoplift it from HMV.

If you do not realise why -then road users should not be an issue for you, as you are hopefully locked up in a mental home.
    a lot of cylists are not the smartest. and its hardly fair to give them a hard time because of their lack of intelligence. if they don't see a red light and drive through let them be.
    If questioned you would find the majority of them do see it. Just like the gardai see them and do not enforce the law. And you're the one questioning intelligence...
    Pedestrians crossing on a red man - this is an offence, and should be prosecuted. It's dangerous, even if there's no-one around. It just is, because it's against the law.
    not sure if you are being sarcastic, I have seen similar statements before who were not so will answer like that. I would hate to see this happen. Luckily most garda are not letter of the law pedantic gobshites -instead they know what the law actually set out to prevent, and are not just looking to nab people for the hundreds of benign actions which technically also break the law -actions which the law never really set out to prevent.

So if on christmas night, not a sinner on the street, not a car for miles, and a big dog or rapist chases after a woman and she illegally crosses at a red pedestrian light to escape, you would want to be a right fucking cunt of a garda to prosecute her.

I personally break the law almost every day in several ways, the garda have seen me do it numerous times, it is sometimes to aid them and the flow of traffic, I have gotten nods of approval and waves from cars acknowledgeing the benefit I was affording both them and myself and other road users. The most common place I do it is in view of a garda station so many are about. I fear for my own life more than I fear the gardai or courts.
    The claim was that cyclists are afflicted by meandering pedestrians as much as pedestrians are endangered by reckless cyclists. Personally I encounter very few such pedestrians, whereas I meet many reckless cyclists.
    Whereabouts are you cycling that you have not encountered pedestrians? Do you stick to cycling on roads or cycletracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

dub_skav wrote: »
    Can you also report on the number of accidents and injuries caused?

FFS what a stupid reply. Seriously like.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

dinneenp wrote: »

Another horrible reply, dont cycle if you dont have the energy. My god such an excuse. Obey the rules of the road. Right I implore you to break every red light you come too the next day you cycle. No you wont, becaise its idiotic. You cant pick and choose which light you break, are motorists allowed to do that. Your attitude is why the rest of us get treated with contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I find it so funny how this thread has gone it is about cyclists running reds.
    NOT CARS, TRUCKS, BUSES, VANS, MOTORBIKES.

Simple answer to the problem is stop running the red lights and give a little respect to other people and you may actually get some respect back.

Why can't another thread be started if someone has a problem with any other road user?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I. True, cyclists are less likely to kill pedestrians but studies in the UK show that they cause about the same amount of injuries as cars.

cyclists cause as many pedestrian injuries as injuries as cars?

Therefore you are now saying cars also cause pedestrian injuries?

BUT you said:

More hypocrisy

• Advertisement

cyclists cause as many pedestrian injuries as injuries as cars?

Therefore you are now saying cars also cause pedestrian injuries?

BUT you said:

More hypocrisy

No - just your inability to follow an argument. Your pal in the saddle was complaining about IPod wearing pedestrians wandering in front of him as if it is as common an occurrence as pedestrians getting bashed by law-breaking cyclists.

Of course cars injure pedestrians, but not usually as the result of jay-walkers all over the road. If that was true, the number of pedestrian injuries from cars would be vastly greater than they are.

Advertisement