Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists breaking lights!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Daith wrote: »
    So cyclists. Do helmets not help at all? Genuine question not trying to actually pick fights.

Helmets do help in an accident but and a big but it depends heavily on the type of accident and even how the cyclist and bike impact the ground.

In some situations they are a lifesaver, others a helmet is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I can't see what those signs are, I'm presuming broken and non broken. My point was there is no difference between cycle lanes anymore despite you wanting there to be one. Regardless of any of your sh!teing on, he was completely wrong. Was it you driving the bus by any chance?

And about the memory thing you obviously don't understand how human memory works.

Look stop trying to defend the indefensible. You just look stupid.

Anyway continue arguing all you want, I'm not going to respond to your silly posts again.

So you think there's no difference between the sections of cycle lane here marked by RRM022 and RRM023 ( just for convenience I found a bit of road including them both )
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.34902,-6.251623,3a,75y,190.72h,77.71t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sb0RGeX2XoXUIr7t65wcGbA!2e0

Sadly I think you prove the need for mandatory cycle training ( or at the very least an RSA campaign for cyclists pointing out R&R that are specifically going to affect them) before you end up as a statistic

To be fair, if there's a thread on cyclist bashing you're normally all over it.

Again not bashing cyclists, only cyclist misconceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Spook_ie wrote: »

A Taxi driver looking to educate cyclists on road craft... I've seen it all now!! :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's 'funny' how you're never to be seen on threads about bad driving though.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    A Taxi driver looking to educate cyclists on road craft... I've seen it all now!! :rolleyes: :pac:

In this case am I right or wrong, in fact in most threads relating to cyclist misconceptions about road traffic law do I or do I not quote the relevant SI (when and where I can find it)

Seeing as you're one of the constant disparaging posters on here perhaps you'd like to help me out and give you the chance to offer up some ridicule at me. Find me an SI relating to ASL and cycle boxes, for the life of me it seems non existent in Ireland

It's 'funny' how you're never to be seen on threads about bad driving though.

You reckon, you don't look hard enough

Last one was this one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91797154&postcount=5049

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why be so opposed to wearing a helmet and high viz ?

I was driving down the country in an unlit bendy road with a speed limit of 80kmh...... in the opposite direction i saw a cyclist with no lights, no high viz and no helmet.

Your telling me thats alright ?

Who said I was opposed to it?

Your original post mentioned nothing about lights. All cyclists should wear lights, but high viz and helmets should not be compulsory.

I use all three, because I want to. It also doesn't give anybody who's ignorant, any leverage if I am in a collision.

"Hurr durr, he wasn't wearing a high viz jacket".

Anyway, high viz isn't great. It's the reflective clothing that's best, you know that metalic looking stuff on shorts and what not? PS I am all in favour of wearing brighter clothes than darker clothes.

Making it compulsory is not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If i was minister for transport

I would impose a law that all bicycles be embedded with a chassis number which would make it unique to an owner with a type of log book.

Then make it compulsory to have a minimum third party insurance in order to use your bicycle in a public place in the event of an accident. And the gardai would check this by the chassis number.

The chassis number idea is also good as it could be used like a car to stop someone giving false details. Just the chassis and link it back to the owner at the address etc.

It would also help prevent stolen bicycles too and help find bikes that would be stolen.

also cumpolsery to wear a helmet and high viz.... again if not it would be a fixed penalty notice just like insurance.

The problem is too all these dublin bikes coke zero gobshoites that just hop on a bike and go and dont give a flying feck whats going on or care about their safety and the safety of others. No way should they be allowed cycle down grafton street at shopping time like they do.

Anyway.. i want the chassis idea and mandatory insurance for bikes.
    Your next piece of work as Minister for Transport will be to call on the Taoiseach to quadruple the roads building budget, as all the cyclists that you've pissed off will get back into their cars and drive instead, leading to traffic chaos.
    EazyD wrote: »
    I've probably mentioned this on here before but I personally know of 2 people who've been killed after getting swiped by cyclists breaking red lights.
    Very sad. I presume these cases are in the public record. Would you like to identify them, or share some news reports - just so that no cynical readers feel that you might be making stuff up.
    Roquentin wrote: »
    what will have to happen is some cyclist or cyclists will have to be killed for breaking lights and then the RSA and gardai will implement a tougher stance.
    Perhaps Gardai and RSA should focus on the existing 200+ people being killed on the roads each year and thousands of others maimed by motor vehicles, before worrying about the theoretical one cyclist that might get killed?
    Not intentianally. Everybody errs in every aspect of life, to think otherwise is madness. Why are you making this about me exactly? I am but one person. While we are here, my car is always in road worthy condition, if a bulb goes, I replace it immediately, because I always have replacement bulbs. My indicaters are always used, it's how I was thought and it iritates me when people don't use them. I always keep to the speed limit, the needle will rarely go over the limit.

When I cycle, the same applies. My lights are rechargable, I indicate at turns, stop at lights etc etc, the stuff you rarely see cyclist do.
    You are a very, very unusual driver if you never break the speed limit in urban areas. And as for your bulbs, how 'immediately' is immediately. Do you check your bulbs before and after every journey? Do you interrupt journeys regularly to check your bulbs? Or is it just possible that you, like most (or every) other road user does break some traffic laws from time to time?
    First Up wrote: »
    Do these many pedestrians only step into the road in front of cyclists? You would have thought us motorists would have noticed them too. Are you sure they weren't stepping into your way on the footpath?
    The most common scenario for me is where there is a line of cars stopped in traffic, and a pedestrian steps out through the line without checking for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

But i dont think cyclists should pay a road tax.

Just get insurance. For when accidents do happen.

Because i would hate to think what would happen if a cyclist got run over by a car and was left very badly injured on the road and the car did a runner never to be found.

What then ? Big loan from the bank to pay hospital bills, time off work etc. Where as the car is only cosmetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Anyhoo, each Tax paying non-car owning Cyclist is paying tax to subsidse road building such as new motorways which doesn't benefit the bicyclist.
    And how does said cyclist get food delivered to the local supermarket? What does said cyclists bus use when they have to travel more than a few kilometres? How does it not benefit a cyclist to have a bypass take traffic off the roads they do use?

In this case am I right or wrong, in fact in most threads relating to cyclist misconceptions about road traffic law do I or do I not quote the relevant SI (when and where I can find it)

Seeing as you're one of the constant disparaging posters on here perhaps you'd like to help me out and give you the chance to offer up some ridicule at me. Find me an SI relating to ASL and cycle boxes, for the life of me it seems non existent in Ireland

Well Judge Spook, I have a life so I won't be going through looking for road traffic laws..Perhaps if you speak nicely to Monument he may help you out there? :rolleyes:

Though even you have to admit a Taxi driver coming on here trying to tell any road user about traffic laws is such a contradiction!?

SeanW wrote: »
    And how does said cyclist get food delivered to the local supermarket? What does said cyclists bus use when they have to travel more than a few kilometres? How does it not benefit a cyclist to have a bypass take traffic off the roads they do use?

If for example roads were elusively used by public transport and delivery vehicles then I'm sure we'd see a decrease in taxation, which would otherwise be paid to the various agencies involved in roads maintenance and building.

Well Judge Spook, I have a life so I won't be going through looking for road traffic laws..Perhaps if you speak nicely to Monument he may help you out there? :rolleyes:

Though even you have to admit a Taxi driver coming on here trying to tell any road user about traffic laws is such a contradiction!?

Not really, it's a mind set of a lot of Irish road users ( not just taxi drivers ) probably something to do with a rebellious streak from years of oppression by the Brits

As to finding the SI, that's fine by me just don't complain about vehicles in ASLs if there's no legislation to back it up

If for example roads were elusively used by public transport and delivery vehicles then I'm sure we'd see a decrease in taxation, which would otherwise be paid to the various agencies involved in roads maintenance and building.

Is this supposed to be one of your sarcastic posts or a genuine one?

Not really, it's a mind set of a lot of Irish road users ( not just taxi drivers ) probably something to do with a rebellious streak from years of oppression by the Brits
    As to finding the SI, that's fine by me just don't complain about vehicles in ASLs if there's no legislation to back it up

How abstract! "years of oppression" hmm...would not apply to what seems like a majority of cycle-users in the city center who are not from these shores originally...?

I didn't complain, your getting a bit too caught up in all this methinks!

Is this supposed to be one of your sarcastic posts or a genuine one?

Common sense.. Have a read: news-flash-for-drivers-cyclists-are-helping-subsidize-your-ride

How abstract! "years of oppression" hmm...would not apply to what seems like a majority of cycle-users in the city center who are not from these shores originally...

I didn't complain, your getting a bit too caught up in all this methinks!

Oh so now you can tell the ethnic origins of cyclists, tell me how that works will you. Is it the way they obey laws, disobey laws or what?

Oh so now Canada is the model we need to emulate, jeez you're very cosmopolitan in your arguments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

You know, your last few posts have really exposed your ignorance on a lot of matters - this one takes the biscuit though - well done.

• Advertisement

Oh so now you can tell the ethnic origins of cyclists, tell me how that works will you. Is it the way they obey laws, disobey laws or what?

Ask your "Green light" taxi colleagues about that one..!

You know, your last few posts have really exposed your ignorance on a lot of matters - this one takes the biscuit though - well done.

Explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Because i would hate to think what would happen if a cyclist got run over by a car and was left very badly injured on the road and the car did a runner never to be found.

What then ? Big loan from the bank to pay hospital bills, time off work etc. Where as the car is only cosmetic.

Or in the case of a cyclist left injured to die on the road, when the driver is found, he's given the choice by the judge to return home and escape prison here despite a mass of road traffic and drugs offences, as has happened within the last 2 years.

Oh so now Canada is the model we need to emulate, jeez you're very cosmopolitan in your arguments

Yea, sorry my localised study didn't make it to the website editor in time! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think you'll find many road users out there that were oppressed by the 'Brits'.

Ask your "Green light" taxi colleagues about that one..!

I would but as green lights on taxis were ruled illegal perhaps you'd like to answer the question put to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My own experience of working with people from other countries, particularly those on mainland Europe, is that the bike will be seen as a viable alternative for getting places. They will fully embrace the likes of the Dublin bike scheme because it's normalised as a mode of transport in the countries they come from. And yes this includes cycling on pedestrian areas which is more acceptable in continental Europe - bikes and pedestrians seem to mix better. So they won't jump in and buy a car.

Contrast that with the story my missus told me recently about a work colleague who was complaining of the cost of running two cars. Apparently the husband drops the kids to crèche in the morning and then takes the train to Central Dublin. But haven gotten wet a couple of mornings walking the kids the 500 or so metres from their house to the crèche, a second car was justified and bought to prevent further wet mornings. My missus suggested perhaps some decent rain gear? Which was met with incredulity. If that doesn't scream car dependency then I don't know what does.

I would but as green lights on taxis were ruled illegal perhaps you'd like to answer the question put to you

Seeing as i'm not on trial here, I will leave it to your own observations to figure that one out Mr. Taxi Driver..

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think you'll find many road users out there that were oppressed by the 'Brits'.

Well there's definitely a difference between driving standards here and driving standards in the UK, and I don't think it's all down to a lack of enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

But i dont think cyclists should pay a road tax.

Just get insurance. For when accidents do happen.

Just because compulsory insurance doesn't exist doesn't mean you can't be insured as a cyclist. I've insurance for example.

Mandatory motor insurance exists because the number and cost of accidents was high enough that it was decided there was a societal benefit in obligating motorists to insure themselves. You'd need a massive increase in the number of accidents for the same argument to be made for cyclists.

Simply saying you should have compulsory insurance because you might have an accident means the same logic would call for compulsory pedestrian insurance and suchlike.

Advertisement