Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lake fish, small ones, can you eat them?

Options
  • 14-08-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

I have never gone fishing before, now looking for fish to eat, so time to start fishing, I went to a large lake today and saw thousands of small fish, about 6 to 9cm long, with black stripes.... wondering if these are edible? easy to catch them with a net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Are they minnow? I doubt they are edible and there would be very little meat.

I think its illegal to take minnow from any water now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

the stripes on these fish are like tiger stripes

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

CamperMan wrote: »
    I have never gone fishing before, now looking for fish to eat, so time to start fishing, I went to a large lake today and saw thousands of small fish, about 6 to 9cm long, with black stripes.... wondering if these are edible? easy to catch them with a net

Before you start, find out the lawful side of fishing too.

CONSERVATION OF AND PROHIBITION ON SALE OF COARSE FISH BYE-LAW NO. 806, 2006 provides for the following conservation measures:

A person shall not take and kill by any means more than 4 coarse fish on any one day.

It is prohibited to fish for pike or coarse fish by any means whatsoever other than by rod and line.

note... I am in Sweden

5988969785_f122dc95ae_z.jpg

Like this? If so they are perch.They would not be very good to eat.

As i say, its illegal to take immature fish from the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Many regard Perch as the most underrated eating fish in Ireland/UK. By all accounts they are supposed to be very tasty.

In saying that I have never had one. It must be noted that the taking of coarse fish is frowned upon here in Ireland.

OP it would be best to learn the local rules and regulations in your area before proceeding.

Reedsie wrote: »
    Many regard Perch as the most underrated eating fish in Ireland/UK. By all accounts they are supposed to be very tasty.

In saying that I have never had one. It must be noted that the taking of coarse fish is frowned upon here in Ireland.

OP it would be best to learn the local rules and regulations in your area before proceeding.

someone said that to me before too. I dont know if id fancy one myself though :) I prefer to see them swim away after there caught anyway.

If the OP is looking to catch some fish for his dinner, now is the time to go catch a few delicious mackerel!

That's the one...

although they look a bit small to be hitting them on the head with a truncheon to kill them, then gutting them...

5988969785_f122dc95ae_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Then don't perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

For goodness sake find out the laws locally. Most waters in Sweden require permits and have bag limits. This is strictly enforced with large fines for transgression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

CamperMan wrote: »

Vänern, Vättern, Mälaren, large lake and Hjalmaren = free

most of the coast = free

near mouths of rivers ( semi-salty water ) because of fish using it to get ready to go up the river ( fresh water ) = no fishing you'd be killing hundreds for next year :(

fishing licence thingy elsewhere

https://www.fiskekort.se/app/index.php?page=Shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

To my discredit, I've eaten perch I've caught in the past but it was a very long time ago as a kid, fishing with my Dad.
    They're extremely boney. Absolutely full of bones. So eating small perch wouldn't be something I'd recommend at all.

There are too many people taking course fish these days (in Ireland anyway, maybe different elsewhere) for it to be sustainable, so far better to catch and release and stop depleting the stock, imho.

Lake Vättern is the lake I was at.. I live maybe 20 km from there :)
    gctest50 wrote: »
    Vänern, Vättern, Mälaren, large lake and Hjalmaren = free

most of the coast = free

near mouths of rivers ( semi-salty water ) because of fish using it to get ready to go up the river ( fresh water ) = no fishing you'd be killing hundreds for next year :(

fishing licence thingy elsewhere

https://www.fiskekort.se/app/index.php?page=Shops

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Here you go, direct from the lakes website

http://www.vattern.org/En/fishing-vattern/fishing-regulations/Pages/Minimum_catch_size.aspx

According to law the minimum catch size apply as follows:
    Salmon: 60 cm
    Salmon trout: 50 cm
    Char: 50 cm
    Pike-perch: 45 cm
    Eel: 60 cm
    Grayling: 35 cm
    Crayfish: 10 cm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I think its illegal to take minnow from any water now anyway.

What are you basing these opinions on? Because its news to me.

A guy from from Cork Salmon anglers told me that one night last year, whether or not its true i dont know, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He caused a huge fuss over some fellas taking minnow from the Lee and threatened to call the fisheries board on them.

Im not saying it as fact, i said "i think its illegal" as im not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A guy from from Cork Salmon anglers told me that one night last year, whether or not its true i dont know, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He caused a huge fuss over some fellas taking minnow from the Lee and threatened to call the fisheries board on them.

Minnows are exempted from the regulation he is probably thinking of. Unfortunately it is not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

If you see my post above your second quote says "its illegal to take immature fish from the water". That's not true for minnow nor perch. For perch you can only keep 4 fish but its under a specified size.

There may be a local bye law on the Lee but its not a national law.

Minnows are exempted from the regulation he is probably thinking of. Unfortunately it is not illegal.

It is certainly unfortunate. Lots of young fellas go catching minnow by the hundreds in net curtains on the Lee, and while i wouldnt mind them catching a few for a little bit of trout fishing every now and then, there really is no need for the numbers of them they take!

Advertisement